Cold air intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Cold air intake

Is it worth getting a CAI on a V6? I feel like my engine isn't getting enough air flow. It feels as if though it's struggling to get enough air. I was wondering if maybe a CAI will fix that. I researched different brands and I heard it doesn't really matter what brand you get, they all do the same job. So I found one for about 80 bucks on American Muscle. Before I buy, I wanted a second opinion thanks
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
In a way it doesn't matter but you always want a bigger air filter to be able to get the most air flow (obviously) but if I were to get a cai I get one that didn't go into the finder of my car cause I personally think it restricts the air flow. And you also gain MPG's!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamman
In a way it doesn't matter but you always want a bigger air filter to be able to get the most air flow (obviously) but if I were to get a cai I get one that didn't go into the finder of my car cause I personally think it restricts the air flow. And you also gain MPG's!
I heard it gets more air flow through the gender because it's right above the wheel though. And really? I never heard of gaining MPGs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You gain a bit not much
kickerofdoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
You gain a bit not much
Well all I'm really interested in is better air flow. I don't really want to force my motor anymore than it already has been.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Well its a nice thing to add and its cheap. But better airflow im not sure of cause for the motor it self its not going to add anything but alittle more air
kickerofdoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: Cold air intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Is it worth getting a CAI on a V6? I feel like my engine isn't getting enough air flow. It feels as if though it's struggling to get enough air. I was wondering if maybe a CAI will fix that. I researched different brands and I heard it doesn't really matter what brand you get, they all do the same job. So I found one for about 80 bucks on American Muscle. Before I buy, I wanted a second opinion thanks
sam62893,

A CAI will definitely improve Air flow, Power and MPG. The gains will not be huge with no tune however you'll definitely feel a noticeable increase in all 3 departments!

Depending on the year of your Stang will determine how much power you'll see. Give my Bama team a call and they'll be able to give you some realistic numbers!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Colder, denser air is a must. I use AM's CAI with a K&N filter. Bring that cooler, denser air to the combustion chamber, it's more efficient. Lengthen the runners, and even more air can be delivered.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I just put a CAI on my 94 mustang and it was very well worth the $80 from AM. I just had the exhaust done and had the stock intake, when pulling out from a stop (5-speed), it wasn't getting enough air Sony had to give it a little more gas to get the rpms up higher. But now that the CAI is installed, it runs smoother, increase in acceleration and power, and also makes a cool noise when you feel like being bad a**! hope this helps!

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

So*
JB_MUSTANG_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Dan, I'll look into the tuners. I don't know much about engines but I want to learn. When I go on the freeway and step on the gas, the car starts to pull a little bit and the service engine light flashes and turns off. my best guess is that there's not enough airflow. Recently it did that shaking thing a lot and the service engine light stayed on and flashed. Got it checked out and there were some broken white clips which I forgot what they were called that weren't letting enough air go through. So I fixed that, and now its good, but it does it every time I floor it. I was hoping the CAI would fix that. Thank you all for your input. I'm getting some good info that I didn't even know
Old 09-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893
Thanks Dan, I'll look into the tuners. I don't know much about engines but I want to learn. When I go on the freeway and step on the gas, the car starts to pull a little bit and the service engine light flashes and turns off. my best guess is that there's not enough airflow. Recently it did that shaking thing a lot and the service engine light stayed on and flashed. Got it checked out and there were some broken white clips which I forgot what they were called that weren't letting enough air go through. So I fixed that, and now its good, but it does it every time I floor it. I was hoping the CAI would fix that. Thank you all for your input. I'm getting some good info that I didn't even know
I have a odd feeling that the symptoms your experiencing are NOT from small airflow. If that was the case every stock mustang would have that happenin.

CAI is good first mod, especially to get acquainted with your car. It will give you prolly 2-4 hp's. not really noticeable IMO. However couple that with a tune it turns into 15-20 hp and then is definitely noticeable. Makes it feel like a new car tbh.

Good thing about both is they are very straight forward mods, and easy for noobs like you and me. The tuner you just plug in under your dash.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

I plan on adding a Cold Air Intake to my V6 as well so I will join you in that quest as well. I found mine at AM as well.... Let's see what happens!!!
devanslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang

I have a odd feeling that the symptoms your experiencing are NOT from small airflow. If that was the case every stock mustang would have that happenin.

CAI is good first mod, especially to get acquainted with your car. It will give you prolly 2-4 hp's. not really noticeable IMO. However couple that with a tune it turns into 15-20 hp and then is definitely noticeable. Makes it feel like a new car tbh.

Good thing about both is they are very straight forward mods, and easy for noobs like you and me. The tuner you just plug in under your dash.
Yeah, I heard its not much, but it helps. So how do you use a tuner? I'm a little strapped on cash and I saw some kits on AM that have the CAI/tuner as a kit for like 300 bucks. But is that all you need? The tuner? What can you change with a tuner. I honesty don't know much about engines yet. I'm only 19 and I'm starting outside i guess you can say. I'm learning bodywork and painting first

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by devanslive
I plan on adding a Cold Air Intake to my V6 as well so I will join you in that quest as well. I found mine at AM as well.... Let's see what happens!!!
I'm probably going to order mine today. The 80 dollar one from AM. Then maybe later down the line when I sell my '66 I'll get a better one and a tuner. I'll post pics when I install if I do it :p
Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893

Yeah, I heard its not much, but it helps. So how do you use a tuner? I'm a little strapped on cash and I saw some kits on AM that have the CAI/tuner as a kit for like 300 bucks. But is that all you need? The tuner? What can you change with a tuner. I honesty don't know much about engines yet. I'm only 19 and I'm starting outside i guess you can say. I'm learning bodywork and painting first

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

I'm probably going to order mine today. The 80 dollar one from AM. Then maybe later down the line when I sell my '66 I'll get a better one and a tuner. I'll post pics when I install if I do it :p
Tuners are kinda expensive. 379 for the tuner and free tunes for life. You can do a lot with a tuner.. Biggest thing being bama will load tunes in there, you plug it into your (ob2 reader? I forgot its name) and load your tunes onto the computer. Plug in is right under your dash/steering wheel. It's literally like plugging into a USB for your pc. Other things are like check engine codes.. Turn off your o2 sensors.. Lots of cool stuff you can do. If you have a auto the tuner also will make your shifts harder and at better shift points. It helps manuals a noticeable amount with power, even more so for auto's because of the lacking aggressiveness of the new edge's auto trannies.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 09-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang

Tuners are kinda expensive. 379 for the tuner and free tunes for life. You can do a lot with a tuner.. Biggest thing being bama will load tunes in there, you plug it into your (ob2 reader? I forgot its name) and load your tunes onto the computer. Plug in is right under your dash/steering wheel. It's literally like plugging into a USB for your pc. Other things are like check engine codes.. Turn off your o2 sensors.. Lots of cool stuff you can do. If you have a auto the tuner also will make your shifts harder and at better shift points. It helps manuals a noticeable amount with power, even more so for auto's because of the lacking aggressiveness of the new edge's auto trannies.
Sounds like something every mustang owner should invest in. I think I'll save up for one. I have an auto and I feel like the transmission is slipping a bit. Sometimes it pulls a bit going from first to second. Maybe a tuner can fix that? Delay the shifting or speed it up a bit?
Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I added one a couple weeks ago and it's a solid investment. Won't transform it into a monster but its a great addition to the mod list.
Bryan02V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Ah dude you gotta get that checked. Supposedly if the check engine light is flashing its catalyst damaging. Scan that right away! More air is great and all but without a tune or a cam or head work its not much of a gain(what was mentioned earlier). Maker sure you get air filter cleaner and oil too. Cuz a dirty cotton filter is just as useless as a dirty paper one. You hear different opinions of which style is better, in the fender or out. Either way the air is taken from the fender. I have the $80 AM system which puts it in the fender. It's a great system for the price but a freakin pain to service. I wish I had saved up for the K&N system that puts the filter just outside the filter. It looks like better quality and easier to service the filter. As the old adage goes. Outta sight, outta mind.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

a CAI is not the fix here OP....as for CAI i don't see a point in them on our cars. i have a drop in filter and no air silencer...there is no difference between that and a CAI.

as for your issue get the code checked quickly....i have a feeling it's gonna be in the exhaust (ie cats)

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
a CAI is not the fix here OP....as for CAI i don't see a point in them on our cars. i have a drop in filter and no air silencer...there is no difference between that and a CAI.

as for your issue get the code checked quickly....i have a feeling it's gonna be in the exhaust (ie cats)
It's not the check engine light that flashes, it's the service engine soon light. Before my car used to shudder one I reached 30 mph and the service engine light soon flashed. Got it checked and the broken clips repaired. Now whenever I floor it suddenly on the freeway like to pass someone up it struggles and the light flashes then goes away. But from what I heard, the tuner and CAI is worth it. I mean it's only a couple of HP but it's something :p
Old 09-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

the tuner yes...the CAI not so much. Look into a windstar intake if you want a real gain.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

now does it only bog down when flooring it?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the tuner yes...the CAI not so much. Look into a windstar intake if you want a real gain.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

now does it only bog down when flooring it?
All I think I need is a better airflow. Where can I get a Windstar intake. I seen some posts about it, so is it the Windstar van intake? Yeah only then when I give it sudden acceleration
Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
All I think I need is a better airflow. Where can I get a Windstar intake. I seen some posts about it, so is it the Windstar van intake? Yeah only then when I give it sudden acceleration
im telling you the bogging down isn't your intake...unless your filter is so clogged up no air can get in when needed...is your silencer still on?

as for a windstar yes it's from a 98- van

Old 09-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

im telling you the bogging down isn't your intake...unless your filter is so clogged up no air can get in when needed...is your silencer still on?

+1 your problem isn't 'not enough airflow'.. It's somethin else. CAI an tuner is nice and all but your looking at a diff problem.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 09-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

heck if you don't mind purposly throwing a code...unbolt your exhaust from the manifolds...tie the exhaust up so it can hang safely...then take it for a spin...yes it'll be loud as all get out...but you can now floor it and see if the bogging occurs...if it's gone you probably have a cat clogged

Old 09-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm going to try to replace my filter. I haven't replaced it since I got the car. I might sound like a noob, but what is a silencer? The engine looks nice though. Do you need to modify anything to put the windstar intake on? Because if I'm not mistaken, the stock intake is on the passenger side? As for your idea, my drivers side manifold broke a couple of months ago and I had to drive with that sound going home. It was pretty embarrassing, I know the sound though. I think I'll exhaust all my options before resorting to taking the manifold off :p
Old 09-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Not taking the manifold off.... Disconnecting the cat downpipe from the ends of the manifold. We had to do this to my stepdads truck and found out it was clogged
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgerow12
Not taking the manifold off.... Disconnecting the cat downpipe from the ends of the manifold. We had to do this to my stepdads truck and found out it was clogged
So instead of taking the manifold off the engine, you disconnect it from the exhaust? Well I can try that. And if it is clogged, then what would be the financial damage?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think my air filter looks too bad. Recommend replacing? Here's my motor, it could use a wash, and maybe you guys could spot anything that's wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2618899881.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	494.3 KB
ID:	69613   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3332877786.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	490.3 KB
ID:	69614  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3829340007.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	554.0 KB
ID:	69615  
Old 09-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Absolutely replace that thing dude. Air filter is supposed to be white. Mine needs to be replaced and looks no where near as bad as that
Old 09-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Absolutely replace that thing dude. Air filter is supposed to be white. Mine needs to be replaced and looks no where near as bad as that
Gotcha, will go but a new one as soon as I'm done plastidipping my rims every how often are you supposed to replace an air filter?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Also your MAF screen looks disgusting. Go buy a new air filter and a can of MAF sensor cleaner and clean your MAF . The plastic part that has the wire going into it has tabs that separate it and two nuts that hold it on. Spray the sensor on the inside out really good and spray and wipe that screen down good. Don't use anything other than MAF cleaner for that tho
Old 09-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also your MAF screen looks disgusting. Go buy a new air filter and a can of MAF sensor cleaner and clean your MAF . The plastic part that has the wire going into it has tabs that separate it and two nuts that hold it on. Spray the sensor on the inside out really good and spray and wipe that screen down good. Don't use anything other than MAF cleaner for that tho
They should sell the MAF cleaner at auto zone right. I'll just take a trip over there today and get that all fixed up tonight
Old 09-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Yea they do if you don't see it ask them. And usually about every time you change the plugs like 8-12k miles
Old 09-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea they do if you don't see it ask them. And usually about every time you change the plugs like 8-12k miles
Yeah, I think it's about time I replace the spark plugs and the air filter. Since I got the car last year I haven't changed anything except the oil. And I've put about 9k miles on it since then. I guess that a full tune up is what I should have done when i got it. Well I guess that's on my to do lost this and next weekend. Thank you so much
Old 09-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

No prob and if you haven't done a tune up at all then I would do plugs, plug wires, air filter and clean your MAF. After that you should notice your car running much better and all in all prolly about 50 bucks in parts

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake