Chunky shifts w/manual transmission - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Chunky shifts w/manual transmission

I don't know how to explain this but when I shift its not smooth, it doesn't grind gears but its like the shifter is loose. On my cobra it's crazy smooth but my sixxer it's rough, would a new shifter help? The current shifter is stock
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Or is it the tranny?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
New shifter may help but shifter may also be loose
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgerow12
New shifter may help but shifter may also be loose
How do I check if its loose?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Take of the plastic panel and them the rubber/ metal panel and check. But I bet it's your transmission . I'm in shape and I can still shift good and I recently installed a steeda tri axl and it started to shift a little better but our synchronizers are shot . So take it easy on your transmission
V6stang6272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6stang6272
Take of the plastic panel and them the rubber/ metal panel and check. But I bet it's your transmission . I'm in shape and I can still shift good and I recently installed a steeda tri axl and it started to shift a little better but our synchronizers are shot . So take it easy on your transmission
Yeah I think the synchro is goin out cuz when I shift from 4-5 too fast it's grind
Old 09-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01

Yeah I think the synchro is goin out cuz when I shift from 4-5 too fast it's grind
My synchro's are goin out and all it is doing is its hard to get in gear( like first and reverse mainly).

I wouldn't describe it as loose at all. Sounds like you got a loose shifter. Change it out, it's always a nice mod

I even got the cheap short throw from AM and it's still so much better than stock.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If it's when you shift fast it's our throw out bearing and if ou don't replace that quickly it will screw up you syconizers
V6stang6272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang

My synchro's are goin out and all it is doing is its hard to get in gear( like first and reverse mainly).

I wouldn't describe it as loose at all. Sounds like you got a loose shifter. Change it out, it's always a nice mod

I even got the cheap short throw from AM and it's still so much better than stock.
We actually have a service announcement from a few years ago for this issue, ill look it up, but if i remember correctly its not synchro related
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

For the manual not shifting into first or reverse from neutral/ a complete stop, it wouldn't be synchro related, seeing how synchros are only used on forward moving gears to make the operation of one gear hitting another smoother. If you had said from first to second or so forth, then i would believe a synchro would be the culprit, but, since reverse is also involved your problem lies elsewhere, more than likely your clutch quadrant may be bending, making your clutch not fully disengage. As for the grinding into 5th its a common issue ive seen going from 3rd to 5th with the drastic change in ratios, and with it usually being at a higher speed. This, may very well be a synchro related issue though
Old 09-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenProto
For the manual not shifting into first or reverse from neutral/ a complete stop, it wouldn't be synchro related, seeing how synchros are only used on forward moving gears to make the operation of one gear hitting another smoother. If you had said from first to second or so forth, then i would believe a synchro would be the culprit, but, since reverse is also involved your problem lies elsewhere, more than likely your clutch quadrant may be bending, making your clutch not fully disengage. As for the grinding into 5th its a common issue ive seen going from 3rd to 5th with the drastic change in ratios, and with it usually being at a higher speed. This, may very well be a synchro related issue though
Weird. The mechanic said It was something in the trans (I thought he said synchro's?). My car has 140k on it so I figured he was prolly right.. I got him to check my clutch and he said it was basically brand new. Weird. When I crank mine up if I keep the clutch it then it goes into reverse just fine. If I release the clutch then push it back in, it's very hard to get into reverse, like there's a blockage. I had to put all my strength to jam it in or I just try to normally put it in, then back it out, and repeat. I also put my car in neutral at red lights and when I push clutch in, it's really hard to get into first. I had to put my weight on it steadily until it finally gets through that blockage and actually gets into first.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 09-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

ISSUE:
Some 1999-2004 Mustang vehicles equipped with a T5, T45 or TR3650 manual transmission, may exhibit a hard to shift condition into first or reverse gears from a stop. This may be due to an incomplete disengagement of the clutch (lack of clutch pedal reserve).

ACTION:
Refer to the following Service Procedure. It may be necessary to adjust the clutch pedal down-stop and the clutch pedal shaft nut to gain full pedal travel.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Lift up on the clutch pedal to reset it.
Measure the clutch reserve per the instructions listed in the Workshop Manual Section 308-00, Diagnosis and Testing, Manual Transmission and Clutch.
NOTE: THE MINIMUM RESERVE NEEDED FOR GT, LX AND 1999-2001 COBRA IS 19 MM (3/4").

If the measurement obtained is larger than these values, DO NOT CONTINUE WITH THIS TSB. Follow normal Workshop Manual diagnostics listed in Section 308-03.
If the measurement obtained is less than these values, make sure that the floor mat or excessive material under the carpet is not preventing the pedal from reaching its full travel. Correct any obstruction, if the condition is corrected return the vehicle to the customer. If the condition is not corrected proceed to Step 3.
Visually examine the pedal down-stop to see if it is preventing the pedal from reaching its full travel to the carpet. Correct if necessary by removing the rubber pad on the down-stop. If the condition is corrected return the vehicle to the customer. If the condition is not corrected proceed to Step 4.
Additional travel can be obtained by loosening the clutch pedal shaft nut and adjusting as needed per Section 308-00 of the Workshop Manual. If the condition is corrected return the vehicle to the customer. If the condition is not corrected proceed to Step 5.
If inadequate reserve is still present refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-00 for clutch pressure plate and disc diagnostics.

If you need any more info ill be glad to pull it up for ya. This is a Ford Technical Service Bulletin sent out in 04
Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So you telling me this could be a problem that doesn't have to do with my transmission? It would be great to not have to replace my trans. Like 2 grand.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Btw I have heard about liftin your pedal to reset your clutch.. I've done that and it doesn't do anything.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 09-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you telling me this could be a problem that doesn't have to do with my transmission? It would be great to not have to replace my trans. Like 2 grand.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Btw I have heard about liftin your pedal to reset your clutch.. I've done that and it doesn't do anything.
Just lifting it wont do anything, someone whos had experience with it will have to measure the cable and see if it's stretched over the years. If so, then its gonna need to be adjusted
Old 09-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenProto

Just lifting it wont do anything, someone whos had experience with it will have to measure the cable and see if it's stretched over the years. If so, then its gonna need to be adjusted
So if I brought it to a mechanic, he could do this and you think it would most likely fix my transmission problems? I thought this whole time my synchro's were going out and my trans was just dying.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 09-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Here's how to adjust your clutch with the stock quadrant...

Adjusting the Clutch
Old 09-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So if I brought it to a mechanic, he could do this and you think it would most likely fix my transmission problems? I thought this whole time my synchro's were going out and my trans was just dying.
Probably cheaper to try this first. If this happens only while at a stand still, its more then likely not synchro related
Old 09-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

My car has a 01 trans in it and does that exact blockage thing when shifting into 1st or reverse at a complete stop sometimes.. so someone told me i need to adjust the clutch pedal .. and the way to do it is to turn the ignition off.. put the gear in first ... and pump the clutch a couple times till you hear a click... when i do that the gears shift really smooth but then eventually go back then i do it again... this is what i was told and ive tried it and it works for me
Old 09-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

If im doing it wrong please correct me
Old 09-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My clutch pedal is also considerably hard to push in when compared to my gf's 03 mustang. Any ideas on why that's the case? Could it be link to this also?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 09-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
My clutch pedal is also considerably hard to push in when compared to my gf's 03 mustang. Any ideas on why that's the case? Could it be link to this also?
It could easily just be your cable. After many years they'll get cruddy on the inside and the cable doesn't slide smoothly anymore.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Adjusting the Clutch
Thanks for this. Was gonna post it after work this morning but you beat me to the punch
Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

So far I have lifted up on clutch then pumped it and I hear no click and there was no change.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #24
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Adjusting the Clutch
^This is really the only way to force a change in the auto adjust factory quadrant setup. Try it, you might like it.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

^This is really the only way to force a change in the auto adjust factory quadrant setup. Try it, you might like it.
Alright I will try it out. In afraid of not doing it right and messing somethin up lol. But if its not my trans then I need to figure it out before I go spending 2 grand on it...

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

So I took a picture of what I figure is y stock quadrant. One engaged ones not. What exactly am I suppose to pull and hold on to while letting the clutch out slowly?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2302995492.jpg
Views:	1335
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	70785

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-713978272.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	70786

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #27
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Here is an updated clutch adjustment article from ME. I think SpectorV did this one too. Maybe this has more detail that could help you with the adjustment.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/must...-clutch-cable/

I'm looking around for more pics that will help see how the mechanism moves, etc.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Here's some more pics...
Old 10-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #29
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I think the cable tension will tighten when the quadrant moves in the direction of the arrow in this pic...
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

New write up is a little too much for me (plus I don't have the tools) so I might just bring it to a mechanic and see what he thinks..

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #31
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
New write up is a little too much for me (plus I don't have the tools) so I might just bring it to a mechanic and see what he thinks..
Sorry I couldn't help you. Hope all they need to do is adjust your clutch cable.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #32
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
From what I get it does sound like a clutch not disengaging fully. If you lift up on the pedal you should hear a click. If not and you still have the same problem I would assume the cable may be stretched or the crappy stock quadrant isn't working properly.
All assuming your clutch is in good shape.
I have an aftermarket quadrant and adjustable clutch cable. When my cable needs adjustment it does the same thing in first and reverse. Adjustment always fixed that.
Hope you figure it out!
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
From what I get it does sound like a clutch not disengaging fully. If you lift up on the pedal you should hear a click. If not and you still have the same problem I would assume the cable may be stretched or the crappy stock quadrant isn't working properly.
All assuming your clutch is in good shape.
I have an aftermarket quadrant and adjustable clutch cable. When my cable needs adjustment it does the same thing in first and reverse. Adjustment always fixed that.
Hope you figure it out!
Hmm. So when I bring it into the shop what should I say/do. Like it said if you guys are having the same troubles then its most likely not my trans (yay) and how much y'all figure it will cost to fix?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #34
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Hmm. So when I bring it into the shop what should I say/do. Like it said if you guys are having the same troubles then its most likely not my trans (yay) and how much y'all figure it will cost to fix?
I'd go in saying "my clutch cable needs adjustment". Something like that. They should at least look in to adjusting the cable before anything else.

Say the cable is shot. The stock replacement cable a my local Ford dealership was $94. This would use your current stock quadrant setup. If you want to be able to make adjustments yourself down the road. You could pickup an aftermarket quadrant kit, like this...

SR Performance Mustang Clutch Adjuster Kit (96-04) at AmericanMuscle.com 172-0201||16016||555-7000||16018||555-7021||16019 - Free Shipping!

You could buy it and bring it to a shop to install if it would be a little too much for you to tackle. Many shops would not have a problem do this, but some may not warranty their work because you brought the parts. Depends on the shop.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

So it's more of my cable than my quadrant no performing right?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang