K&N 57-2532 air intake, mpg loss, high idles - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to nekronos
Unhappy K&N 57-2532 air intake, mpg loss, high idles

Hey guys,

[info: 2001 manual v6]

something I certainly didn't expect happened....

So previously I bought a cheap $75 fender-well mounted CAI which ran pretty good. 30mpg on roadtrips, 27 mpg on mostly highway and 21-22 in the city.

Eventually this decreased to about 20-26 mpg, 27-28 on roadtrips. This happened around the time I had to put in a new filter (as somehow the old one managed to fall out of the car...)

Had some extra cash and decided to splurge for the K&N air intake, thinking it would look nicer, have better airflow and mpg. Well, now I'm getting 23 on the highway and not quite 17 in the city! The car does seem a bit more responsive with the larger air intake but I'm experiencing high idles (abnormally high when i start the car and back it out as well as high idles on occasion when I'm at a stop. In addition, after first starting I typically experience slight shaking after reversing and sometimes in the first few shifts.

So I'm either going to have to put back the old CAI in it (which I'd rather not considering its 3 years old and rusting on top of the $180 I blew on this K&N kit) or get the K&N kit working or put the old stock intake in and just leave in it without the silencer with a K&N filter in it.

I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly considering took my time on it though it's always a possibility I screwed up. I'll get some pics up soon

Bottom line: I'd like to get this K&N intake working properly otherwise what a huge waste of money!@!$@$ Also I start my first big full-time job in less than 2 weeks that will require a good bit of driving

Thanks for your time and thoughts!
nekronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
sounds like you maybe dirtied the maf up when swapping or have it not facing the air flow

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Yeah spray out your MAF and get a tune. If no tune then unhook your battery for 30min and it should reset some of that stuff. I did that on a few of my cars and it reset the perimeters so I relearn how to run. It might not work but worth a shot. Also does your K&N have oil on the filter?
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
yes k&n is an oiled filter..and he won't need a tune for an intake...now an s197 yes but not a new edge

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So what is a "new edge" exactly? I have heard it a few times and was curious
Old 09-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
A new edge is the black car on your avatar. A 1999-2004 mustang. An sn95 is a 94-98 and a s197 is a 2005-present
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I figured but I wondered if it was like a special edition or something lol
Old 10-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the replies, i did buy a can of maf cleaner but no, the air intake is facing the correct way. I will try this soon hopefully, won't be here for about a week so will have to wait until next weekend.

Where should I be spraying in particular, the screen in the maf, all over the inside of it or elsewhere?

Any other possible solutions or thoughts in case that doesn't work? Or should this definitely work?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekronos View Post
Thanks for the replies, i did buy a can of maf cleaner but no, the air intake is facing the correct way. I will try this soon hopefully, won't be here for about a week so will have to wait until next weekend.

Where should I be spraying in particular, the screen in the maf, all over the inside of it or elsewhere?

Any other possible solutions or thoughts in case that doesn't work? Or should this definitely work?
Disconnect your battery before cleaning your MAF!

disassemble your intake setup, so you have your MAF assembly out of the system. That way, you can keep from getting the MAF too wet and possibly damaging it. Hold it so your spray goes up, but gravity makes what you've sprayed fall down away from the MAF. Wait an hour or so before reassembling so everything dries completely. I reassembled mine and waited until morning before reconnecting my battery. Warning! If its wet, it could kill you MAF if you try to start your engine and go for a drive. That's why I went overkill.

Here's the idle re-learn (which is really idle and fuel trim re-learn)

Disconnect NEG from battery for 30min (you will have done this already)

Reconnect and start car, let idle as eng gets to operating temp. Let it idle a little over a minute

Turn on A/C to MAX, let idle little over a minute, turn off A/C

Then drive the car for at least 10 miles

I hope this helps!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Here's some pics

Attachment 71382
Don't get this wet
Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

And...

Attachment 71383
Spray the MAF element is here
Old 10-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the tips, I'll be trying this tonight and crossing my fingers it solves my mpg issues!

added some pics finally of it, the 2nd pic shows a hose that I'm questionable about... it doesn't seem as sturdy or secure as the stock one (though the stock is a tad short and cracking) I was wondering if where the hose connects from the air intake to the engine perhaps it was allowing air to leak?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekronos View Post
thanks for the tips, I'll be trying this tonight and crossing my fingers it solves my mpg issues!

added some pics finally of it, the 2nd pic shows a hose that I'm questionable about... it doesn't seem as sturdy or secure as the stock one (though the stock is a tad short and cracking) I was wondering if where the hose connects from the air intake to the engine perhaps it was allowing air to leak?
It certainly could cause some probs. If the leak was big enough, it would be in-metered air (because its bypassing the MAF) that the ECU would not be able to account for.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang