03 v6 rear end. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
03 v6 rear end.

Sorry guys just looking for some quick answers. I'm going to replace my drive shaft, and my rear end. With the drive shaft I am looking at a aluminum one on a.m. are that much gains from this or would a shaft from Craigslist or junk yard be fine? Also I haven't done much research on the rear end as far as what is stock. Any suggestions on what I can replace it with. I'm just looking for minimal power gains nothing crazy. Any help will be appreciated.
JeremyMc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Get a steel drive shaft . And 4.10 gears and new axles
V6stang6272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
when I purchased an alum DS for my 01 V6 (T-5 Trans 7.5 rear end all OEM) I purchased one from the 5.0 and it fit right in no issues so the same size on 94-95 5.0 should work.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Steel = heavy heavy=slow an aluminum drive shaft would reduce the loss of hp from the crank to the rear wheels
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Alu ds ur not gonna see any big gains at all
V6stang6272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have one? And no not BIG gains but an aluminum driveshaft along with a alum flywheel for a Manuel will result in less horsepower being lost from the crank to the rear wheels. Think of it this way, does it take more energy to roll a 30lbs log or a 10 lb log
Old 09-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

An aluminum would be a better investment for two reasons. 1: it is less rotation mass so your acceleration would be quicker. I noticed a huge difference switching from the heavy steel flywheel to the light and pretty aluminum flywheel. 2: from what I heard, the aluminum DS takes a lot of the vibration out of the drivetrain. Which is good for comfort and drivetrain longevity.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Bingo!! Exactly what I said.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, sorry D. Just adding to your statement
Old 09-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No problem man! I just hate when people throw around bad information
Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgerow12
No problem man! I just hate when people throw around bad information
Yeah there are assumptions and then legit experience. I try to convince everyone about the huge difference an aluminum flywheel makes. I'm hopin to get a aluminum DS soon. Just the cut down on vibration alone has me sold! Lol
Old 09-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yea well some members like to throw around information that isn't very accurate or accurate at all because they think they know everything. I just know if it was my car that I was asking advice about that I would want accurate information
Old 09-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah false info kinda defeats the purpose of the forum.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I have found a 7.5 rearend with 373 gears. Everything I have read online leads ne to believe that the gears are not stock. Is this correct? Looks like 273 and 327 are stock. Would there be any gains from the 373 gear?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

3.73 is not stock. If you have a 5 speed this is the best gear choice in my opinion. If your car is a 94-98 your stock gear is 2.73 if your car is 99-04 then they are 3.27
Old 09-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyMc77 View Post
Sorry guys just looking for some quick answers. I'm going to replace my drive shaft, and my rear end. With the drive shaft I am looking at a aluminum one on a.m. are that much gains from this or would a shaft from Craigslist or junk yard be fine? Also I haven't done much research on the rear end as far as what is stock. Any suggestions on what I can replace it with. I'm just looking for minimal power gains nothing crazy. Any help will be appreciated.
An aluminum driveshaft would be the better choice. It will "slightly reduce the rotational mass and the aluminum will dampen drivetrain vibrations better than the steel, making for a smoother ride. There is little to no HP gain or recovery by using an aluminum driveshaft. The difference in most cases is just to small to measure or worry about.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Here is an article on some testing done to compare the Steel vs Aluminum flywheels.

PHR - Engine Drivetrain Rear Wheels Power Increase

From everything I have researched on the subject, the aluminum flywheel is better on a race car, but for a street driven car you will be better off with a steel flywheel. Read the article and Google search Steel vs Aluminum flywheel. I'm sure you will reach the same conclusions as I have. Since my car is primarily for street use, I use a steel flywheel. The benefits of the aluminum flywheel would soon be eaten up by the cost of replacing the clutch more often due to the need to slip the clutch more for a smooth take off on the street with an aluminum flywheel.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Here is an article on some testing done to compare the Steel vs Aluminum flywheels.

PHR - Engine Drivetrain Rear Wheels Power Increase

From everything I have researched on the subject, the aluminum flywheel is better on a race car, but for a street driven car you will be better off with a steel flywheel. Read the article and Google search Steel vs Aluminum flywheel. I'm sure you will reach the same conclusions as I have. Since my car is primarily for street use, I use a steel flywheel. The benefits of the aluminum flywheel would soon be eaten up by the cost of replacing the clutch more often due to the need to slip the clutch more for a smooth take off on the street with an aluminum flywheel.
I disagree, purely from experience. The only thing a heavier steel flywheel is good for is people how cant work a clutch. You have more rotating weight thus making starts easier. I have had my aluminum flywheel for a full year with no problems and drivability is fine. You just got to get use to less weight. It takes like a week tops to re learn starts. I think an aluminum flywheel is an excellent choice for anyone wanting a quicker car.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

My car is a automatic
Old 09-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87 View Post
I disagree, purely from experience. The only thing a heavier steel flywheel is good for is people how cant work a clutch. You have more rotating weight thus making starts easier. I have had my aluminum flywheel for a full year with no problems and drivability is fine. You just got to get use to less weight. It takes like a week tops to re learn starts. I think an aluminum flywheel is an excellent choice for anyone wanting a quicker car.
That's fine and I disagree with your disagreement, purely from experience too. I've been "working" clutches for over 40 years and I have driven many cars with aluminum flywheels. To get a good smooth take off you have to slip the clutch more than you do with a heavier steel flywheel. That's pretty much all there is to learning how to drive with one.

They are great for faster accleration and deceleration on a race track, but for everyday use my choice will always be a good cast iron or steel flywheel. I spent many hours reading and researching the differences and usage suitability between the two flywheels. Most everything I read other than just someone's opinion about them or personal preference, pretty much agrees with my final decision on which flywheel to use for street or track.

Your preferences are just "your preferences", not really which is better suited to any particular usage or person. If that's what you like and prefer, that's great, but it may not be best for someone else.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
My car is a automatic
Thank you for the info.
That just blows the flywheel discussion out of the water as being unnecessary in your thread. Sorry for the "off topic" posts.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Well I guess if its your preference to have a steel it's fine. To me the car is light enough to have an aluminum one. It really boils down to who is driving. I have no problems with it and i don't slip my clutch much more, if at all, that a steel. One benefit is my sport clutch but then it's not a matter of weight. It's which combo is better, steel/stock clutch or aluminum/sport clutch.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry that i left out that i have a auto trans. I can get the rear end with 373 gears for 150 and steal drive shaft for 25, or 50 and i think the aluminum shaft is 275. With my very limited knowledge though just wanted to make sure it would work ok. And if it works if there would be any gains with the 373 gears.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Hey trojan, where did you read the info on the flywheels? Im not being sarcastic, but any extra knowledge is good. I wouldn't mind reading up on it.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #25
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Hey trojan, where did you read the info on the flywheels? Im not being sarcastic, but any extra knowledge is good. I wouldn't mind reading up on it.
Google searches on the subject and on various magazine, race car manufacturer/products and racing websites. Sorry, I didn't save any links when I was doing it.
I'm sure you know, but you have to be aware that on forums you will get conflicting information. Most of what I went by to decide on a flywheel for my car was information from the manufacturers, builders and magazine articles.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #26
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Sorry that i left out that i have a auto trans. I can get the rear end with 373 gears for 150 and steal drive shaft for 25, or 50 and i think the aluminum shaft is 275. With my very limited knowledge though just wanted to make sure it would work ok. And if it works if there would be any gains with the 373 gears.
That's no biggie, we just got sidetracked with our own discussion and I apologize for that.

If you can swing the aluminum driveshaft I would definitely get one.
The vibration dampening qualities alone are worth it and it will free up a bit of HP, but not really enough to notice.
The 3.73 gears will improve your acceleration rate a good bit over stock gears.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Google searches on the subject and on various magazine, race car manufacturer/products and racing websites. Sorry, I didn't save any links when I was doing it.
I'm sure you know, but you have to be aware that on forums you will get conflicting information. Most of what I went by to decide on a flywheel for my car was information from the manufacturers, builders and magazine articles.
Someone needs to put together an aftermarket book. Like and Encyclopedia of mods, covering every subject with pros and cons, pictures and effects on one or several categories. HP, TQ, drag coefficient, drivability, handling, G turns, accel/speed, etc. I would pen the whole set! Lol
Old 09-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Someone needs to put together an aftermarket book. Like and Encyclopedia of mods, covering every subject with pros and cons, pictures and effects on one or several categories. HP, TQ, drag coefficient, drivability, handling, G turns, accel/speed, etc. I would pen the whole set! Lol
That would be nice to have, but it would be a huge book. I'd probably buy one though.

I have books on most engine mods, building engines & drivetrains, but very little on suspension and handling. Some of the info I got on the flywheels probably came from some of those books too.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Ah, yeah I have a couple on engine repair and engine design.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang