throttle body or UDP? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
throttle body or UDP?

trying to decide my next mod, im steering more towards the UDP just because i have heard people having problems with the TB. but i want your opinions! Anyone who has either i want to know what you think!
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Udp only help above 4000 or 4500 rpms. TB would help throttle response sooner than udp kick in. I got steeds udp but rarely take my car above 4000 rpms. But I got em new for $71 on eBay. If u go with udps, watch eBay.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
TB is a waste on stock engine.
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Got about 4 RWHP and ever little bit of RWHP you can get out of your motor is worth the money IMHO

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang
Got about 4 RWHP and ever little bit of RWHP you can get out of your motor is worth the money IMHO
Seriously you dyno'd after just a TB install?
If so what RPM or range did you realize this gain?
Curious now..
Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

U wanna kniw
Fourloko530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Unless you have enough mods that your sucking more air to your motor then your stock throttle body can handle, a throttle body wont do anything. It can actually hurt performance because air doesnt move as fast through the wider space if it is wider then you intake anyways.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well what if u had ur upper intake and lower intake ported and polished
Old 10-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt
Udp only help above 4000 or 4500 rpms. TB would help throttle response sooner than udp kick in. I got steeds udp but rarely take my car above 4000 rpms. But I got em new for $71 on eBay. If u go with udps, watch eBay.
That's a deal! I have a bone stock internal and my mods are stated in my signature. Nothing that would really help the flow drastically
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Could someone explain to me what a UDP is? I don't know what it stands for and curious as to what it does.
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sixtang
Could someone explain to me what a UDP is? I don't know what it stands for and curious as to what it does.
Under Drive Pulleys

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Under drive pulleys are a waste, when I had my car dynoed the speed shop took my under drive pulleys off and put my stock ones back on!

Get the throttle body!

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Curious now..
+1
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Wow, can't believe I didn't make that connection... Thanks lol
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
That's a deal! I have a bone stock internal and my mods are stated in my signature. Nothing that would really help the flow drastically
Ye that's why I got em. Just keep watching and you'll find a set for cheap. The money u save on them is a gd start for TB mod fund. It takes time unless your filthy rich lol.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So now I'm confused I have heard both opinions saying the other one is useless and a waste haha
Old 10-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
So now I'm confused I have heard both opinions saying the other one is useless and a waste haha
Well then get both lol
Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Underdrive Pulleys are a universally accepted good modification, I dont know what happened with yours White Cobra. Less power to accescories=more power tp the wheels. Just like using your AC draws power.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrad00
Underdrive Pulleys are a universally accepted good modification, I dont know what happened with yours White Cobra. Less power to accescories=more power tp the wheels. Just like using your AC draws power.
I think the problem with me was a cooling issue , the UD water pump pulley is bigger so I think that's why they switched me back to stock!!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I just used my steeda crank pulley. They advertised them for 96-01. Well they were for 01-04. So I used crank and bought smaller belt.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Could you guys feel any difference in butt dyno or fuel mileage? I think imgoing with a udp set that has multiple, instead of just the crank
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Could you guys feel any difference in butt dyno or fuel mileage? I think imgoing with a udp set that has multiple, instead of just the crank
UFOs come in 3 pulleys. Some come in 2, crank+alt. The only reason I only used just crank was cause they were wrong year. Ford changed water pump pulley in 01. So it was that or nothing. Ill eventually put others on. I just have to get right water pump pulley. Its prob going to b awhile lol.

PS. Stay clear of the piggyback style. I've read lots of bad stories.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
UDP work for sure. I, personally, am skeptical of them. I have read stories where cars have had cooling issues due to the water pump pulley, battery issues from the alternator pulley, and steering system failure from the power steering pulleys. Now with that said guys on here run em with out problems. So are they a good up grade? On a budget, sure. Are there some risks? Yes. Will it affect your car? Maybe not. I don't think for how little it does justifies the POSSIBLE (yes i said possible)effects it could have on your accessories. With TB, from what I hear you either need a ported intake matched with a aftermarket exhaust or a hotter cam for a bigger TB to make any measurable difference. Anyway, my 2bits
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

UFOs come in 3 pulleys. Some come in 2, crank+alt. The only reason I only used just crank was cause they were wrong year. Ford changed water pump pulley in 01. So it was that or nothing. Ill eventually put others on. I just have to get right water pump pulley. Its prob going to b awhile lol.

PS. Stay clear of the piggyback style. I've read lots of bad stories.
What's piggyback style? An do you know of any sets out there? Besides just the crank pulley?

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87
UDP work for sure. I, personally, am skeptical of them. I have read stories where cars have had cooling issues due to the water pump pulley, battery issues from the alternator pulley, and steering system failure from the power steering pulleys. Now with that said guys on here run em with out problems. So are they a good up grade? On a budget, sure. Are there some risks? Yes. Will it affect your car? Maybe not. I don't think for how little it does justifies the POSSIBLE (yes i said possible)effects it could have on your accessories. With TB, from what I hear you either need a ported intake matched with a aftermarket exhaust or a hotter cam for a bigger TB to make any measurable difference. Anyway, my 2bits
I haven't done anything internally so a TB would be useless I guess
Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

They don't sell just crank. Piggyback uses your stock crank pulley. It attaches to it, making it a piggyback. You want a steeda or bbk. Bbk makes both so read up. Google piggyback pulleys and read up. I'm not one to tell someone to buy something. You can read and u can decide.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They don't sell just crank. Piggyback uses your stock crank pulley. It attaches to it, making it a piggyback. You want a steeda or bbk. Bbk makes both so read up. Google piggyback pulleys and read up. I'm not one to tell someone to buy something. You can read and u can decide.
Thanks man. I haven't found any v6 udp other than the asp crank pulley but ill do a little more research
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I have the bbl pulley for my car I like it

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Bbk
Old 10-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I searched bbk website and it seems try don't have a udp for the v6s.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Anymore
Old 10-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Anymore
I never seen bbk v6 ones but a tb isn't worth the money. Also pulleys are a ok mind but don't add a lot of hp. Look into gears,exhaust,intake,windstar intake
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom

I never seen bbk v6 ones but a tb isn't worth the money. Also pulleys are a ok mind but don't add a lot of hp. Look into gears,exhaust,intake,windstar intake
I agree. Although bolt ons don't really add a lot anyway, you'd get better gains from the above list. I think the first upgrade everyone should get is a tuner. I wish I had saved up for one instead of buyin a bunch if little stuff
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I like all my mods lol but springs made a difference
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
I like all my mods lol but springs made a difference
That's the next mod I'm doing.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Curious now..[/QUOTE]

Never said I installed a TB you need to learn to READ But I did re-dyno after the intake spacer and there was a nice increase I'd post the increase for you But you'd probally misunderstand that as well
UDP is a good for fuel mileage increase as well as a bit of power

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Thanks man. I haven't found any v6 udp other than the asp crank pulley but ill do a little more research
Try sales @ASPRacing.com or call 936-588-3117

Here's a link from VMP tuning for the UDP increase
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: 3.8L Pullies and Accessories

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I'd like to see the dyno sheet before and after. If u got 4 rwhp, I'm going to order one. Every little bit helps. 4 HP for $50, that's worth it to me.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post
On eBay, put in "mustang pulleys 3.8" they have bbk
Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I wouldn't go BBK, great brand but there crank pulley is piggy back. Go steeda, you'll swap that puppy out.
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
I wouldn't go BBK, great brand but there crank pulley is piggy back. Go steeda, you'll swap that puppy out.
Bbk has single piece crank now for the gt. Not sure bout v6 tho. On the gt tho, they're more $ than steeda.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang