can anybody help me with my exhaust? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
mattthegreat210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 78
can anybody help me with my exhaust?

I just bought a 03 v6 mustang and it has a stock y pipe and was wondering if I could just cut behind the cats instead of buying a whole exhaust system? Or would that mess things up?
mattthegreat210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bamman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Region: Kansas
Posts: 304
You don't have to cut behind the cats, if anything unbolt the whole exhaust off from the heads if your looking to keep the sock head and run divorced. But then again your probably right you might have to cut behind the cats depending on how well taken care of the car was cause its gonna be extremely rusty.
__________________
8 Cylinders Little Brother.
Bamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
mattthegreat210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 78
Not much rust just little spots but the sports aren't putting also I was wondering since its a y pipe wen u floor it doesn't have the greatest power after like 4500 or 5000 rpms if It would be bad to cut out the y and just have like a short dual exhaust? Lol
mattthegreat210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Sixtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegreat210
Not much rust just little spots but the sports aren't putting also I was wondering since its a y pipe wen u floor it doesn't have the greatest power after like 4500 or 5000 rpms if It would be bad to cut out the y and just have like a short dual exhaust? Lol
I'd wait and spend the time and effort to get a true dual exhaust system, that's what I'm saving up for. Reason I think you shouldnt cut behind the y-pipe is because I don't think you're really gona like the sound you get, plus you could screw things up for a future install once you want to actually put an exhaust system on it
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
mattthegreat210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 78
Ok wat is a good set up? It doesn't have to be loud Kuz I'm planning on just giving my car to my gf in like a year and a half just straight pipes?
mattthegreat210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Sixtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 160
If you are planning on giving it to your girlfriend and don't care what it sounds like then why spend the money on changing it at all? Just my thoughts, but if you straight pipe it, that's gona be loud. If you run Dual exhaust from the Y, it will get a little louder than it is now. IMO, and this is what I'm planning on doing, get the H-pipe v6 true dual exhaust from AM, and then bolt on any aftermarket gt catback system on back. That'll cost ya tho, I priced mine out to about 600-650 doing all the work myself. Plus you're gona need to the Y pipe to make it all work. If you're planning on just turning it over to your girlfriend tho, prolly not worth it.
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegreat210 View Post
Ok wat is a good set up? It doesn't have to be loud Kuz I'm planning on just giving my car to my gf in like a year and a half just straight pipes?
straight pipes means no mufflers...which is loud...believe me thats how i run mine right now lol.

as for wanting a cheap dual exhaust that's nice, but not loud loud...go to Advance and buy two Thrush Welded Series mufflers for $39 each...take them to an exhaust shop and tell them to cut from the cats back (so no Y pipe)..tell them to run a true dual setup with those mufflers out the back if you feel like paying the average $50 a side in tubing (at most shops)...

or if you want to be even cheaper have them cut off the y and run true dual side pipes or dumps...but that's loud lol. so far i'm on maybe my 8th or 9th exhaust setup so i have a pretty good idea how they sound
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Sixtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

straight pipes means no mufflers...which is loud...believe me thats how i run mine right now lol.

as for wanting a cheap dual exhaust that's nice, but not loud loud...go to Advance and buy two Thrush Welded Series mufflers for $39 each...take them to an exhaust shop and tell them to cut from the cats back (so no Y pipe)..tell them to run a true dual setup with those mufflers out the back if you feel like paying the average $50 a side in tubing (at most shops)...

or if you want to be even cheaper have them cut off the y and run true dual side pipes or dumps...but that's loud lol. so far i'm on maybe my 8th or 9th exhaust setup so i have a pretty good idea how they sound
When you ran side pipes you ran no mufflers correct? And did you run them thru the side skirts or just underneath the original? I've been sort of playing around with the idea of running true dual thru the saleen side skirts, but since I'm not seeing a good kit out there to do I guess the tubing to get there would have to be custom routed...

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Also how'd it sound? lol
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
yeah no mufflers...just a prochamber for the midpipe...this was day one of the install so it was still poppy during revs thanks to not being broken in (midpipe) yet....after a week the popping went away...it was decent but i got tired of the drone because i love windows down even on the interstate..



after that build i went to flow 40's out the back...got tired of that and cut the 40's off and straight piped it again...now i'm thinking about tossing a set of 44's back on the car and doing some turn downs just after the axles because i like to hide the tubing
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
mattthegreat210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sixtang
If you are planning on giving it to your girlfriend and don't care what it sounds like then why spend the money on changing it at all? Just my thoughts, but if you straight pipe it, that's gona be loud. If you run Dual exhaust from the Y, it will get a little louder than it is now. IMO, and this is what I'm planning on doing, get the H-pipe v6 true dual exhaust from AM, and then bolt on any aftermarket gt catback system on back. That'll cost ya tho, I priced mine out to about 600-650 doing all the work myself. Plus you're gona need to the Y pipe to make it all work. If you're planning on just turning it over to your girlfriend tho, prolly not worth it.
Kuz her raging homosexual dad says my v6 is trash lol and he's driving a 92 Lexus sc or something like that v8 and we raced and he beat me but it wasn't even by a lot ha.. but he's got a good exhaust system and cai and a couple other mods but I have no mods yet and I'm like 700 lbs lighter so he passed me up like at 70 mph :/
mattthegreat210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
those wheels didn't help your cause in that...as for street racing keep in mind that talking on that subject on here can get a thread closed or deleted.

as for modding your car to actually put up a fight minor bolt ons really wont amount to much. work on that rear end if you want him to see tails...gears and a tlok will solve that.

but don't mod your car just to beat a lexus nobody wants...mod your car for your own enjoyment
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
mattthegreat210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 78
That's weird ha and ya I just bought it and those were on it lol at least they're staggered and wat about differentials? Is that a good improvement?
mattthegreat210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
it's the biggest upgrade you can do honestly besides a power adder...nothing else will feel as big of a bang for your buck upgrade...you'll spend around $500 parts plus labor but a tlok and gears are well worth it.
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
mattthegreat210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 78
Ya I figured it would cost quite a bit but I'll probably just save money for gt upgrads ha :/
mattthegreat210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
ProudSixxer26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegreat210
I just bought a 03 v6 mustang and it has a stock y pipe and was wondering if I could just cut behind the cats instead of buying a whole exhaust system? Or would that mess things up?
I got my y pipe cut out with the cats on and got divorced flow 40s with 3 in chrome tips for $450 alll stainless and I love the sound.
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What mods can get 350+hp? Johnstonb93 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 101 11-06-2017 12:25 PM
Myths about "back-pressure" Eturner General Mustang Discussion 45 09-08-2016 02:31 PM
Back-pressure Mile high JDF General Mustang Discussion 11 09-03-2012 06:22 PM
First Mustang exhaust questions currambero13 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 2 01-29-2012 10:47 PM
Exhaust: Pro Dumps Mdavis1024 1979-1995 Mustang GT 6 01-15-2012 08:50 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



03:42 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.