heads and intakes? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
heads and intakes?

im just wondering if you guys think it would be worth it for me to do ported upper/ lower intakes and some big valve cylinder heads? i dont want to do a cam just yet. what kind of power could i see with just the heads and intakes?
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG
Re: heads and intakes?

If your going to spend the time to do the heads, and intakes you _NEED_ to go ahead and do the cam also. You won't see nearly as big of a gain as you will with the cam and if you decide to do it later thats more labor.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Yes, the cam would be smart to do at the same time. It's actually pretty much the cheapest part of the whole combination.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i understand that. my dad doesnt want me doing any more mods to the car. and i know that he will be able to tell somethings up if i get a cam.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Well its pretty much a waste to get BV heads, bigger valves, high lift springs, etc. And not benefit from a cam keeping the valves open for a longer period of time.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

are there any cams that dont change the sound too much?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I was just going to suggest getting a different level cam that wouldn't make the car all lopey. You would have to discuss it with a cam shop and let them know what you are doing...and they will be able to do a nice custom grind for not overly too much.

But yeah, not all cams make cars sound cammed....I'm not sure what a heavily cammed V6 sounds like though...so I can't say for sure. But a mild cam won't change the sound much in any motor and still let you benefit from the valves.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I was just going to suggest getting a different level cam that wouldn't make the car all lopey. You would have to discuss it with a cam shop and let them know what you are doing...and they will be able to do a nice custom grind for not overly too much.

But yeah, not all cams make cars sound cammed....I'm not sure what a heavily cammed V6 sounds like though...so I can't say for sure. But a mild cam won't change the sound much in any motor and still let you benefit from the valves.
alright. and.....would you......maybe be able to..........help me install that cam as well? sorry to burden you with all this but i have been wanting to do a h/c/i swap ever since i got the car!!! that would be awesome if you could. and i have no problem giving you money to help me. like i said i dont have much experience, but im willing to do everything i can.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:09 AM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
alright. and.....would you......maybe be able to..........help me install that cam as well? sorry to burden you with all this but i have been wanting to do a h/c/i swap ever since i got the car!!! that would be awesome if you could. and i have no problem giving you money to help me. like i said i dont have much experience, but im willing to do everything i can.
Like I Said, Back Yard Customs is a Not for Profit entity. All evo members are welcome to get work done there.

Sure, we could throw a cam in as well while we had the rest of it apart. I'll make sure I have the couple of extra tools we'll need for all of it and what not and we can go ahead and do it. I would just make sure you can set aside a whole day to do it just in case we get stuck and have to make parts runs or something.

But, yeah, once you get everything together, we can set up a saturday or sunday and come over early and we'll get it all swapped on. Also, let me know if you need to store anything to avoid parental detection...you can just stash it all here if you need to.

One thing to keep in mind about this all though, you will need a custom tune. I can suggest a couple of different local tuners as well as a couple of real good out of state tuners. So, make sure you put an SCT X-cal on your shopping list. Unfortunately, I don't have the pro-package software here so I can't tune it for you...so that you will have to get elsewhere.

The tuner will run about $400-ish new, but you can find used X-Cal 2's in several places for the 200-250 range....you would just have to make sure it was un-married...then a custom dyno tune will run ~$400 here in town, or you could get a mail order tune for whatever those places would charge....the best bang for the buck would be the dyno tune though so they can get everything just right. You could get a startup tune here locally enough to get to the dyno and then they would tune you up over there.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
Regular

Region: Tennessee

My car sounded like it was going to die any second Too bad the transmission really was

Mine was a 224/230. The lift wasn't all that high either, can't remember the exact specs. You could def. tell it wasn't stock at all.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272

Quote:
I'm not sure what a heavily cammed V6 sounds like though...so I can't say for sure.

2000 Mustang v6 cam install

Theres a example for ya. One hell of a cam in that.

2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT
Mods : Intake, Stubby antenna
Rolls are for fat chicks
Ibanezplayer272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like I Said, Back Yard Customs is a Not for Profit entity. All evo members are welcome to get work done there.

Sure, we could throw a cam in as well while we had the rest of it apart. I'll make sure I have the couple of extra tools we'll need for all of it and what not and we can go ahead and do it. I would just make sure you can set aside a whole day to do it just in case we get stuck and have to make parts runs or something.

But, yeah, once you get everything together, we can set up a saturday or sunday and come over early and we'll get it all swapped on. Also, let me know if you need to store anything to avoid parental detection...you can just stash it all here if you need to.

One thing to keep in mind about this all though, you will need a custom tune. I can suggest a couple of different local tuners as well as a couple of real good out of state tuners. So, make sure you put an SCT X-cal on your shopping list. Unfortunately, I don't have the pro-package software here so I can't tune it for you...so that you will have to get elsewhere.

The tuner will run about $400-ish new, but you can find used X-Cal 2's in several places for the 200-250 range....you would just have to make sure it was un-married...then a custom dyno tune will run ~$400 here in town, or you could get a mail order tune for whatever those places would charge....the best bang for the buck would be the dyno tune though so they can get everything just right. You could get a startup tune here locally enough to get to the dyno and then they would tune you up over there.
alright well i already have an sct livewire, gears, posi-trac, headers, and a cat-back installed. after that my dad said no more. but oh well.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:08 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois

your exhaust will have most to do with how it sounds.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Check with Mik at RPM mustang He was offering what he called a no tune cam gave about a 15 t0 20 HP increase He knows his V6's Redlined Performance Mustangs

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

hey just wondering what you guys think about this cam to go with the bv heads:

RPM-Mustangs 210/214 .548 cam. also only on the car for about 2 months
i have brand new valve springs with this (1 of the originals snapped and so i upgraded to better springs)
and i also have the pushrods to work with these
$250+shipping OBO
*ON THE CAM, IT IS A REGRIND SO YOU WILL NEED TO PUT THE SPACER ON (FROM YOUR STOCK CAM)*
everything is off the car, but still at the shop where im doing the work. ill have pictures asap. with this setup+full bolt ons i made 227rwhp/227rwtq
Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
hey just wondering what you guys think about this cam to go with the bv heads:

RPM-Mustangs 210/214 .548 cam. also only on the car for about 2 months
i have brand new valve springs with this (1 of the originals snapped and so i upgraded to better springs)
and i also have the pushrods to work with these
$250+shipping OBO
*ON THE CAM, IT IS A REGRIND SO YOU WILL NEED TO PUT THE SPACER ON (FROM YOUR STOCK CAM)*
everything is off the car, but still at the shop where im doing the work. ill have pictures asap. with this setup+full bolt ons i made 227rwhp/227rwtq
Is that mustangmelish's cam?

I would go a bit bigger than that cam if you getting ported BV heads.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
Is that mustangmelish's cam?

I would go a bit bigger than that cam if you getting ported BV heads.
yes it is. i was also thinking about the 212/218 cam from supersix. it has a .55/.55 lift with a 110 lobe seperation.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

my goal for this car right now is to get about 230-240rwhp. i have most of the bolt-ons. how much more would it benefit me to go with the big valve heads over just ported heads? because i can get ported heads, intakes, throttle body, and a gasket kit for $600+shipping. here is the link:

Ported/Polished Complete Split Port Set w/ Gaskets ($600 + Shipping)

now pair that with the right cam and some roller rockers, would it be possible for me to see 230-240rwhp?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

My gut tells me to get this setup as it is pretty complete for $600.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

but do you think ill still see some good power gains? i want about 230rwhp and i dont know if this will be enough. otherwise i would've already bought it.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I'm not up on where different mods get you in a V6...however many here are...so I'll let them handle it. I don't know if the stock bore 3.8 can get to 230 rwhp without a power adder. It probably can, and it probably takes that setup and a cam to do it.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

do you see anything wrong with using the stock springs?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

With that package your lookin at Don't see you getting 230

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #24
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
With that package your lookin at Don't see you getting 230
What would get him there? I would love to help him out here but I'm clueless when it comes to the 6's and their mods.

Can it be done without a power adder?
Old 05-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What would get him there? I would love to help him out here but I'm clueless when it comes to the 6's and their mods.

Can it be done without a power adder?

well i know it can be done without a power adder. most h/c/i v6's push about 230-240rwhp. im just wondering if just porting the heads and intakes will be enough.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang