Something fishy in the RPM's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Something fishy in the RPM's

Hello guys and gals...

I am having something funny happening with my 94 Stang. Not sure what it is and did not get much direction from the mechanic that looked at it. 1.) it does not do it when I take it to him, 2.) from my description he does not know how to put his finger on it other than to say it may be a transmission fluid leak. When I drive my car sometime it revs into high RPM's and then jerks and/or hesitates while I am driving. This is pretty frustrating. Any ideas? Thanks!!! :stirpot:
devanslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by devanslive
Hell guys and gals...

I am having something funny happening with my 94 Stang. Not sure what it is and did not get much direction from the mechanic that looked at it. 1.) it does not do it when I take it to him, 2.) from my description he does not know how to put his finger on it other than to say it may be a transmission fluid leak. When I drive my car sometime it revs into high RPM's and then jerks and/or hesitates while I am driving. This is pretty frustrating. Any ideas? Thanks!!! :stirpot:
Sounds like your trans is flaring up. Assuming its an automatic, it's most likely the friction surfaces in your clutch discs going out, aka not enough grip when your giving it some power so it slips. Did you recently do any kind of teams flush on it? If you haven't, DON'T! Leave it alone. The old trans fluid might be the only thing giving your clutch discs friction. Take a look at the level and color of your trans fluid. And feel for grittiness in the fluid
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub9stang View Post
Sounds like your trans is flaring up. Assuming its an automatic, it's most likely the friction surfaces in your clutch discs going out, aka not enough grip when your giving it some power so it slips. Did you recently do any kind of teams flush on it? If you haven't, DON'T! Leave it alone. The old trans fluid might be the only thing giving your clutch discs friction. Take a look at the level and color of your trans fluid. And feel for grittiness in the fluid
Hey there... No Transmission Fluid Flush on the car at all. So, would you recommend new clutch discs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
This should be a cable operated clutch, being that its a 94. 2005 on up had hydraulic clutches. It sounds like maybe your clutch could be slipping. Does this happen randomly, or only when you are accelorating heavy? Or, when going up a steep hill?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
This should be a cable operated clutch, being that its a 94. 2005 on up had hydraulic clutches. It sounds like maybe your clutch could be slipping. Does this happen randomly, or only when you are accelorating heavy? Or, when going up a steep hill?
It is pretty random. It does not always do it when accelerating or going up hills. It is an automatic transmission and does it seemingly whenever it feels like it. I am trying to figure things out in the form so I can get it fixed w/o having to pay for an expensive diagnosis.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by devanslive View Post

It is pretty random. It does not always do it when accelerating or going up hills. It is an automatic transmission and does it seemingly whenever it feels like it. I am trying to figure things out in the form so I can get it fixed w/o having to pay for an expensive diagnosis.
I can't remember for sure with the AODE tranny's, can you check the fluid level? If its low, it could be something as simple as adding some ATF. I'm not sure when they switched to the AODE on the v6's, so it could be an AOD tranny.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
94 I think is a AODE if it has push button OD. 99-04 is a 4r70w
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can't remember for sure with the AODE tranny's, can you check the fluid level? If its low, it could be something as simple as adding some ATF. I'm not sure when they switched to the AODE on the v6's, so it could be an AOD tranny.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is AOD and AODE? Something about Automatic?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is AOD and AODE? Something about Automatic?
Checkout Dgerow's post above yours
Old 10-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgerow12 View Post
94 I think is a AODE if it has push button OD. 99-04 is a 4r70w
It does have the OD button. As far as what any of you can tell is it my clutch cable that I need to look to replace or the clutch disk that was suggested earlier? Thanks...
Old 10-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

It does have the OD button. As far as what any of you can tell is it my clutch cable that I need to look to replace or the clutch disk that was suggested earlier? Thanks...
No, since you have an auto tranny, I would see if you can check your fluid. If you have a tranny dipstick, with the engine running and up to normal temperature and the tranny in park on a level road or driveway, check the fluid. If its low, add fluid. This might help with your problem.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, since you have an auto tranny, I would see if you can check your fluid. If you have a tranny dipstick, with the engine running and up to normal temperature and the tranny in park on a level road or driveway, check the fluid. If its low, add fluid. This might help with your problem.
When I do add fluid the car smokes for a few days while driving from the area where the transmission fluid goes in as well as under the car.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I think I'd take it to a shop
Old 10-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by devanslive

When I do add fluid the car smokes for a few days while driving from the area where the transmission fluid goes in as well as under the car.
Sounds like its slipping.. Maybe trans going out lol.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That might be the dipstick seal leaking,,and when the fluid leaks down below the stick it stops leaking,,but then the fluid is low and then the tranny starts slipping,,If the fluid level is fine it might be a dirty filter..But if its leaking you need to see where its leaking,,if it flares because of low fluid eventually youll burn the clutches up and have to have a rebuild,,find out where the fluid is leaking first
Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
That might be the dipstick seal leaking,,and when the fluid leaks down below the stick it stops leaking,,but then the fluid is low and then the tranny starts slipping,,If the fluid level is fine it might be a dirty filter..But if its leaking you need to see where its leaking,,if it flares because of low fluid eventually youll burn the clutches up and have to have a rebuild,,find out where the fluid is leaking first
+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang