Head gasket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Head gasket

My head gasket blew I have some mechanical knowledge but I am no expert do u think I can do it myself put should I not even try????
Anthony8994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I've done it before and what helps is I make sure I keep all the bolts organized so I know exactly where they go, and after each step I take a pic so I know how it goes back together. Just make sure you have the torque specs so you know what to torque everything down to. Haynes and chiltons has em.
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea if you read through a haynes and feel comfortable enough after reading to give it a shot. It's not the hardest thing to do but it's not swapping out an alternator either expect at least a full day of work for your first time out take your time read the manual and you should be just fine. I advise you change both as the for the fact that you have the engine apart and its good practice to change them in pairs for the simple reason that the other side might blow and you have to tear into it again. You'll also need a new upper intake gasket , exhaust manifold gaskets and you dont have to if there not leaking but regardless of condition i would get new valve cover gaskets too.
l2plagears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2plagears
Yea if you read through a haynes and feel comfortable enough after reading to give it a shot. It's not the hardest thing to do but it's not swapping out an alternator either expect at least a full day of work for your first time out take your time read the manual and you should be just fine. I advise you change both as the for the fact that you have the engine apart and its good practice to change them in pairs for the simple reason that the other side might blow and you have to tear into it again. You'll also need a new upper intake gasket , exhaust manifold gaskets and you dont have to if there not leaking but regardless of condition i would get new valve cover gaskets too.
The exhaust gaskets are reusable on our sixers, they're mls metal gaskets and seal wonderfully

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
The exhaust gaskets are reusable on our sixers, they're mls metal gaskets and seal wonderfully
Good to know bro i had no idea those are reusable. Does that apply to any metal spring loaded gasket?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2plagears
Good to know bro i had no idea those are reusable. Does that apply to any metal spring loaded gasket?
Not sure what other gaskets are (besides heads that are mls, and no can't be reused lol)

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
Not sure what other gaskets are (besides heads that are mls, and no can't be reused lol)
The sad part is i'm sure someone has tried............... ever see that vid of the dude changing a head gasket and straight up puts the head back on w/o the gasket , hilarious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang