What mods? 00 V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2008, 02:03 AM   #1

Region: New York
What mods? 00 V6

Ok, I have a 2000 V6, basically bone stock. All that's really in it is a K&N filter and I removed the silencer. I'm looking for performace mods, not something like getting a nicer stereo or better rims and such. I don't have a ton of money, so this is kind of future reference unless something is fairly cheap to do. Price wise, cheapest to most expensive, what are the best mods to start out with?

I'm not looking to go crazy, so nothing as expensive as putting a supercharger in, maybe up to putting a dual exhaust in would be reasonable. Would putting a CAI be the best step to start out with, or headers maybe? I would only use a K&N CAI, so if there's anything less than about $200-$250 that I could start out doing, let me know. The cheaper, the better, but I don't want to use junk parts like ebay CAI, that's why I mentioned I would only use a K&N CAI. Anything would be great.

Also I'm not extremely knowledgable with cars, I know a bit, but nothing crazy. So if you are talking about a mod that takes quite a bit of knowhow to do, then kind of work in the cost of labor getting it done at a shop as well. Like I said, I'm not looking to go nuts, but I just want to do a few things to it at least. Thanks in advance!
smith710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: What mods? 00 V6

For 359 you can get this shipped free: Pypes 409 Stainless Steel Street-Pro Catback w/ Polished 304 Tips for Factory Mid-Pipe (96-04 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

It'd make your V6 sound really nice and get a little bit more power. Other than that a Cold Air Intake is about all that's going to be in your budget.

If you have a 5 speed you could get a short throw shifter. It sure makes shifting a lot easier and fun.

Steeda Tri-Ax here: Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter T5 / T-45 at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

A lot of people prefer MGW short throw shifter more which I believe our sponsor Atomic Performance - TA Performance, Pro 5.0, SCT, C&L, JLT Cold Air carries. You get $10 off when you purchase from them for being a member here. If they don't have it listed on their site you can PM or email them and they may can still get it.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

exhaust and CAI is a good, basic way to start out. you can get an entire exhaust plus installation for around 500 give or take a few hundred. it gets rid of that stock appearance and sound and provides a nice foundation for whatever else you get. id start there definitely. underdrive pullies are also fairly cheap and is a cheaper mod. later down the road gears and a chip would be a good idea, although its a bit more expensive.

honestly, new rims are up there on the list as well... but id recommend waiting til you need new tires (can be a bit pricey too). tint is another option although can be pricey depending on local laws and cops.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #4

Are the underdrive pulleys a cheaper way to go than the CAI or dual exhaust? Are there any cheaper CAI's that are just as good as a K&N? It's an automatic, sorry I didn't mention that before, so I won't have to be worrying about the shifter. Ok, so my best bet is to definately start out with a CAI, then go up to a dual, unless the underdrive pulley is a cheaper effective way to go. What about a tuner? How exactly does that work and what kind of gain can you get from one of those? Rims and everything else will definately be a factor down the road, i'm just worrying about the performance right now before I start to deal with appearance.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #5

Region: Indiana

i just bought a BBK CAI for $180, with free shipping at american muscle.com
jaircuevas101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
For 359 you can get this shipped free: Pypes 409 Stainless Steel Street-Pro Catback w/ Polished 304 Tips for Factory Mid-Pipe (96-04 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

It'd make your V6 sound really nice and get a little bit more power. Other than that a Cold Air Intake is about all that's going to be in your budget.

If you have a 5 speed you could get a short throw shifter. It sure makes shifting a lot easier and fun.

Steeda Tri-Ax here: Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter T5 / T-45 at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

A lot of people prefer MGW short throw shifter more which I believe our sponsor Atomic Performance - TA Performance, Pro 5.0, SCT, C&L, JLT Cold Air carries. You get $10 off when you purchase from them for being a member here. If they don't have it listed on their site you can PM or email them and they may can still get it.
You shouldn't lie... nothing about pypes sounds /nice/ on a 94-04 mustang.
As for cold air since JLT doesn't make anything for 99-04's get one off eBay, no reason to spend 180-200$ on a bbk/mac/k&n.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:53 AM   #7
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Well you could always replace the mufflers later. It's a good kit for someone on a budget to start out with though. Just my .02

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

exhause, cai, upd, tune, and rear gears/tlok are about the best somewhat cheaper things to do. for handling just upgrading the springs and wheels/tires goes a long way.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
As for cold air since JLT doesn't make anything for 99-04's get one off eBay, no reason to spend 180-200$ on a bbk/mac/k&n.
I think my Pypes X-pipe sounds great.

2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT
Mods : Intake, Stubby antenna
Rolls are for fat chicks
Ibanezplayer272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Get the ebay CAI works just as well,UDP is a good kick in the *** mod, for the exhaust go the broke dick method - mufflers, turn downs ,universal exhaust hanger and 4 clamps 2-2/1/2 and 2 2 1/4 depending on the muffler you can do the exhaust for 100.00

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
I had a pypes o/r X on my V6. You saying that didn't sound good? Or that it was nearly impossible to install? Yes?

...well you're right...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I had a pypes o/r X on my V6. You saying that didn't sound good? Or that it was nearly impossible to install? Yes?

...well you're right...

Well I've heard about the fitment problems but since I try to only speak on experience I don't know how bad that is. But I've heard the system in person. (more than 1 car) its not a good sound.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #13

Would this be better than just having a K&N filter with the silencer removed for now? I think the first thing I'm going to do is a dual exhaust, so I figured if this would work any better, I'll do this for now, then get a CAI a little later on.

Mustangworld Home Made Cold Air Induction Kit
Old 04-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

i know one, V8 engine swap.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:38 AM   #15

I'm not looking to race or anything, I'm just want to be faster than the average car out there. You think of a Mustang, and you think power, and when you pull up to a light and someone in some normal car can get up and go almost as fast as you can, I don't like that. I just want to be able to get up an go just a bit faster, nothing crazy, I like my gas mileage....
Old 05-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #16

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Bowtie_Killer Send a message via MSN to Bowtie_Killer
Cool Re: What mods? 00 V6

Lol Man your kinda in the same boat as me i have a 00 3.8L but i have a K&N filter, Exhaust, Headers, and a B&M pro ripper. The best part ive added so far was the ripper cuz well my t5 had a longer throw than my pick-up but that will run u about $250 which is close in your price range. In the near future im going with 3.73 gears and maybe a procharger but thats gonna take a little money.

To Mustangfan2003: you go ahead and bring your stock V8 down here i might be the Bowtie Killer but ill make an exception to any1 that thinks you cant make a V6 run.
Bowtie_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang