BBK headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
BBK headers

I'm thinking about buying the BBK chrome shorty headers and I was wondering if anyone here has em, and what they thought of them
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
unless your in need of headers quickly i'd keep saving for LTs...you won't be satisfied with shorties at least from experience lol

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I know LT's will be better, but whatever I do to this car I'm looking to do myself, it's my project car so I'm not really looking to get shop work done, it takes the fun out of it if you know what I mean. And the install and modification of LT's I'm just not prepared for yet, maybe later down the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

you can install LTs yourself...then have the exhaust done at a shop. believe me either way swapping your manifold for headers will not be fun. besides the new midpipe modification that's really the only difference in going from shorties to LTs. your car though so whatever you go with make sure you'll be happy with

Old 11-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I'd say prepare yourself for LT's. lol
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

and yeah i know what you mean by doing the work yourself...4 vehicles later and i've never been to a shop for anything besides tire, and exhaust work. i just find a write up online and go for it lol. it's fun figuring things out then being able to help others out afterward

Old 11-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I heard most LT installs on our cars require lifting the engine off the mounts a couple inches to squeeze em in there, if that's the case I definitely don't have the equipment to do that right now
Old 11-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

hope this helps...

How To Install Long Tube Headers on your Mustang V6

Old 11-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it helps, either way it's going to be a pain. Definitely wanna try an keep it street legal so I guess I'm gona have to do some research on those pro chamber mids as well.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

just toss on some high flow cats if you want it street legal. also whats your PC questions? i've run them on a couple stangs

Old 11-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

What I meant was I gotta look to price it all out now that you are houdini'ing me into spending all my money haha
Old 11-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

well if you're wanting a prochamber be prepared to pay out the rear unless you find one used like i did. although i will say my friends car had LTs and left the duals divorced and it sounded fine so if you wanna save some money no need for a mid pipe..you're car is even firing anyways so it's not a must

Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sixtang View Post
I know LT's will be better, but whatever I do to this car I'm looking to do myself, it's my project car so I'm not really looking to get shop work done, it takes the fun out of it if you know what I mean. And the install and modification of LT's I'm just not prepared for yet, maybe later down the road
No point doing it at all then. Buy longtubes then save up for labor. Make friends with a small shop mechanic and talk him into doing side work on the weekend at reduced rates. Shorty headers wont do much, if anything, and some reduce performance. Your stock "manifolds" are essentially shorty headers without collectors, unless you have a 94-98, in which case you have shorty headers. Long tubes are an all around performance increase, and when combined with full exhaust and a tune, will fool many people (yourself included) into thinking you have a v8 swap.

Welding isnt really hard. If you can fork over the dough for your own welder, then you can research the process online, and save yourself alot of money on exhaust work. Once you do it, you can do it. If you don't have the technical prowess to figure out long tubes, you will probably just frustrate yourself trying to install shorties. The process isn't harder, just different.
Jlope014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sixtang View Post
I heard most LT installs on our cars require lifting the engine off the mounts a couple inches to squeeze em in there, if that's the case I definitely don't have the equipment to do that right now
Mac and Pacesetter are the only ones that make long tubes for the v6.

Mac's do not require lifting the engine, I don't know about the pacesetters.

Both will eventually lose their luster, but Pacesetters rust remarkably quick, and from what I have read, they have fitment issues.

The mac has a slight fitment issue on the passenger side with clearing the k member. We solved this by hammering a small dent into the header itself, and it doesn't seem to have hurt anything. I found out later that we could have used spacers, but then you are opening up a pandoras box of exhaust leak issues.

Whatever you do, order some OEM metal header gaskets. DO NOT USE the paper/carbon gaskets that come with aftermarket headers, not even the ones that are supposed to be the "best" (like percys carbon, in my case).
Jlope014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang