do divorced pipes rob hp? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
do divorced pipes rob hp?

I just cancelled my order from cj pony parts. It was my order of longtube headers. And its been 5 weeks and they didnt even get a tracking number for it. So i called mac up and the guy tells me theres a tremendous gain of hp and sacrifice of tq at the hole when you run your car with long tube headers and with shorty headers you get mid range and low end power and some top end. Then he told me with my set up of divorcrd pipes im loosing hp.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

True or false?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
True
Stangv8ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
If you dont mind some lost low end torque, plus LT's are way better sounding than shorties, so I've heard and red. But 4:10's will set that lost LT torque up right away รท}
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Think i will go with shorty headers for now
Old 11-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You will never notice the loss of power down low. It's so insignificant it's not funny

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Get the pacesetter shorties there like 130 bucks cheaper then the bbk's just thought i'd throw that out there.
l2plagears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Im going to have my exhaust shop put a pipe across to form the h pipe and see how that works. I dont want all the trouble with longtubes its just more issues right? So im looking at the ceramic bbk shorties how are those?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Shorties are always a waste of money even if its for a repair, grab some 94-98 factory manifolds, they actually came with shortie headers, cheap and just as good as $350 shorties

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
Shorties are always a waste of money even if its for a repair, grab some 94-98 factory manifolds, they actually came with shortie headers, cheap and just as good as $350 shorties
You can use them but you'll have two dead o2 sensors sticking out of them which is ugly and you have to open up the holes on the flanges cuz the bolts on those headers wont't fit plus the time it takes to pull them out of another stang.
l2plagears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I still dont understand how back pressure gains torque?
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
I still dont understand how back pressure gains torque?
You and me both,,,,
{Never Enough HP}
Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout View Post
Im going to have my exhaust shop put a pipe across to form the h pipe and see how that works. I dont want all the trouble with longtubes its just more issues right? So im looking at the ceramic bbk shorties how are those?
I heard shorties didnt give you hardley anything,,that long tubes were the best for power ,,now im not sure what im gonna get..
Old 11-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

You and me both,,,,
Everyone tells me how, if you go duals you will lose torque but yet no one gives me a good explanation or proof that it does. I dont see how back pressure is good for any gas motor
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll

Everyone tells me how, if you go duals you will lose torque but yet no one gives me a good explanation or proof that it does. I dont see how back pressure is good for any gas motor
I would go dual it evens the pressure out
Old 11-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

From what I've always understood is the v6 is an even firing motor so a crossover mid pipe isn't necessary to even out the pulses but I don't believe it would be a bad idea to use one. Do make sure that if you go dual that you size the pipe right because back pressure is not good. An exhaust that is too large will cause back pressure as well as too small of an exhaust.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
You may lose some tq but it removes the heat faster,,and allows your engine to breathe...Theres someone on here that posted a good article about back pressure,,theres alot opoinions about ,,look back on some previous links on here
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Their mufflers sound like crap on a V6 but have good tech articles lol

http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question10.asp

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Ok, i did a research paper on back pressure so heres the stripped down explanation. You want as big as a pipe as you can get and as free breahing as you can make it UNTIL it become s big that air no loner consistently moves through it. If your pipe gets to big or free breathing at low rpm's the air is no longer moving quickly because it is not forced to and it breathes less well then with a smaller pipe. Theres a great article explaning it i will try to find and post!

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Here you guys go, its not the one i was looking for but it explains it crrectly and more detailed with the pulses of the engine. i'm tired of back pressure talk so please read and spread!

No Specific Make The myth of "back pressure" - CarForum.net - Car Forums, Automotive News and Community
Old 11-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrad00
Ok, i did a research paper on back pressure so heres the stripped down explanation. You want as big as a pipe as you can get and as free breahing as you can make it UNTIL it become s big that air no loner consistently moves through it. If your pipe gets to big or free breathing at low rpm's the air is no longer moving quickly because it is not forced to and it breathes less well then with a smaller pipe. Theres a great article explaning it i will try to find and post!

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Here you guys go, its not the one i was looking for but it explains it crrectly and more detailed with the pulses of the engine. i'm tired of back pressure talk so please read and spread!

No Specific Make The myth of "back pressure" - CarForum.net - Car Forums, Automotive News and Community
Good find,
{Never Enough HP}
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #20
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

Good find,
Indeed.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Thanks guys, hopefully we can start disproving th myth of backpresure now so we dont have a new thread on it every week.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrad00 View Post
Thanks guys, hopefully we can start disproving th myth of backpresure now so we dont have a new thread on it every week.
Its funny how half truths are carried along,,Some people still think that if you have a higher cranking amp battery verses the original ,,that the starter will turn faster,,I just had that discussion with someone today
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

Its funny how half truths are carried along,,Some people still think that if you have a higher cranking amp battery verses the original ,,that the starter will turn faster,,I just had that discussion with someone today
Is that like a wing for down force on a fwd?
{Never Enough HP}
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I don't know who you talked to, but everything I have read combined with my own experience says get long-tubes or leave it stock. The 3.8 mustang already has "shorty" headers from the factory, so if you want that chrome look (for the month it will last) then go on and waste the 300. I just put long tubes on my 2002 3.8, and I love them, and I havent even gotten dyno tuned yet. There is a small drop in torque between 0-1500 rpm, but it is more than made up for by revving to 2k before launch (I got a manual). I think the tune will fix this altogether. Also the mid-top end gains are the biggest I have felt yet, and I'm pretty much at full bolt-on now except for stupid random things like TB spacers. Everything I read while researching this says that long-tubes make better power hands down and shorties are a waste for the 6. Do a google search and you will see.

Also, as someone else pointed out above, the v6 mustang is an even-fire, which means the midpipe is unnecessarry. I purchased a magnaflow catback and 2 high flow cats off ebay, then had my shop weld some 2 1/2" piping...best exhaust I ever got for 600 after parts and labor (including the headers).
Jlope014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
94-98 v6's have stock shorty headers...99-04 do not. they have manifolds. very different design Jlope04

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
94-98 v6's have stock shorty headers...99-04 do not. they have manifolds. very differenmuch is t design Jlope04
The manifolds are essentially shorty headers without collectors? At least, this is how my ford mechanic explained it.

But it is easier to say, "you already have them" than to try and explain the difference between a header and a manifold. Shorties don't do much if anything is the overall general consensus I have seen.
Jlope014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Compared to FORD manifolds no they don't do much except allow for slightly increased exhaust scavenging. Ford makes very good flowing manifolds but on other vehicles the shortys are way better than manifolds
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang