Advice on rebuild kits? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Advice on rebuild kits?

Hello, everyone! I'm thinking about buying a rebuild kit for my '98 mustang, it's kinda got tons of miles on it. So, can anyone recommend a place to buy a good rebuild kit?
LaseRedXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
when I rebuildt mine the first kit we got completely ****ed the engine block. First start it ran for like 15 seconds then it wouldn't turn over. When we got it apart the piston had turned sideways in the cylinder...
it was from a company called Domestic and Japanese. They used the pistons from a company called "rock". The Wrist pens were too tight and would barely fit in the pistons the shop we took them said they should loosen up... but they didn't.
We got all sorted out(got the block bored out for really cheap, got a refund on the pistons and ordered new pistons from a different company.

SO make sure you get the rebuild kit from a reliable company/seller.
I recommend Grumpy's thats where I got the pistons from and they were a lot better than the cheap "rock" ones that locked up in the engine. They do sell complete rebuild kits though.
and maybe you should look into getting the 4.2 internals instead of just a 3.8 rebuild. Shouldn't cost much more.

Sorry if the post was a little long.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Cheap solution, find used 4.2 from junkyard with decently low mileage drop it in and run with it, did the same thing with my bottom end works great and no complaints with the constant torture haha

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm liking the ideas!
But I do have limitations:
This car is my daily, and I can't afford for it to be down and out for more than like 2-3 days at a time. So, the deal is I'm gonna get this spare 3.8 block out of a 1997, and I can build it on a stand OR do the 4.2 like recommended. But how could I use the 4.2 stuff? Would radical changes have to be made?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

There is a 4.2 swap thread stickied to the top of the V6 page, should have everything you need to know in it

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 11-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

a 4.2 block is the exact same thing as the 3.8 block.
the only difference is the internals(crankshaft, connectings rod and pistons)
if you going to have the engine out of the car do the 4.2 it'll cost around the same as a rebuild for a 3.8 since the parts are almost same.

Also, all the 4.2's use the split-port intake. So, a rebuild kit for a 4.2 will come with the split-port intake gaskets. I just left those in the box and bought some single port intake gaskets. I think they cost like $20-25 or something around there.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well, guys, I just don't wanna have to fab anything up really to work. That's why I thought a direct 3.8 would suffice. But reading the 4.2 swap thread, I don't suppose I could somehow use its block and internals and skip on fabbing up parts?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

What's the power gain with switching over to a 4.2?
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I never had to fab anything to make it work for mine. You might have to do some fab work if you swap to the split-port intake that the 99-04 3.8 mustang used.

the 4.2 engine has 220hp from the factory.
if the mustangs a 94-98 the 4.2 stroker would probably increase it to around 180hp and i'm guessing 240 for torque. 99-04 mustangs should be at the factory specs of 220hp and 250 tq.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95
I never had to fab anything to make it work for mine. You might have to do some fab work if you swap to the split-port intake that the 99-04 3.8 mustang used.

the 4.2 engine has 220hp from the factory.
if the mustangs a 94-98 the 4.2 stroker would probably increase it to around 180hp and i'm guessing 240 for torque. 99-04 mustangs should be at the factory specs of 220hp and 250 tq.
202hp* is the truck ratings at least on my 2000 4.2 motor I pulled, what did you use that listed 220? Just curious never seen it before

And yeah nothing gets gabbed just putting different parts in the car is all, just factory junk

blower/new cam soon
Old 11-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, okay. I'll be looking to do a 4.2 swap, haha. Since my car is a '98, should I look for a 97-98 4.2? Seems easier. And can you explain the girdle nonsense? I have no idea what a girdle is... :/
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaseRedXD
Okay, okay. I'll be looking to do a 4.2 swap, haha. Since my car is a '98, should I look for a 97-98 4.2? Seems easier. And can you explain the girdle nonsense? I have no idea what a girdle is... :/
they're talking about the main cap stud girdle in the swap, when you flip the motor over you'll see a structure on the back three caps connecting them together, that's the girdle

blower/new cam soon
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I was estimating. I guess i was little off. by about 20hp... my bad seems like it should have more though.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaseRedXD View Post
Hello, everyone! I'm thinking about buying a rebuild kit for my '98 mustang, it's kinda got tons of miles on it. So, can anyone recommend a place to buy a good rebuild kit?
I'm sorry but, if you are looking at an engine overhaul in the near future, you should put that money aside, and save up a little bit more, and buy a 4.2 to drop in there. Or a built 3.8 if you can afford it. Or hell, just tear the internals out of the one you got, and replace them with forged everything. Bore it out even to a 4.0. You will gain performance in addition to having a unique ride. But if you want to go through all the trouble (or pay for all the labor) of tearing an engine apart just for a factory overhaul, then to each their own I guess.
Jlope014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang