T-Lok / Posi / Slip Differential - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
T-Lok / Posi / Slip Differential

Would you say that it is worth the buy? Theyre quite expensive. Has anyone had any experience with this?
V6in is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Probably one of the best upgrades you could do to your stang to get the most pep in its step. Evenly distributed power to both wheels with a lot more torque = happy mustang owner
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Feeling of torque yes but not literally more

OP, be sure to get the install kit for it and if you have higher mileage the master bearing kit would be a better idea

The cost of new gears/diff may be high but it'll be worth it

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
the issue with the 7.5" rear tlok (oem design with spider gears/clutches) is that its weak to shock (instant take off such as with slicks from a high rpm). The spider gears will break~

if you stay off the track you wont need anything else but if you play to run on a sticky track or with sticky tires it can cause breakage.

If you are gonna go to the track and launch the car hard go with a auburn or some other brand thats stronger.

DO GEARS AT THE SAME TIME its the same basic amount of work so should save you some cash.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
so spectorv and davidcseifert would you say its better for a 8.8 swap im thinking of doing that rather then the stock 7.5 just my opinion lol and also davidcseifert i wanted to ask if you have any video i can check out of your car?
SN95V600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I know you were asking them, thought I'd just throw my two cents in there. Unless you're planning on putting a blower on or something, I don't think it's really neccesary
Old 11-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well im building mine gana have the windstar intake forged internals spray it dont know what shot yet shooting for 125 150 with purge kit and i came across a donor car girl from work has a 01 5spd she might let me take it off her hands just need break her off lol but yea theres a guybon youtube who i have been wathing his vids for a min its a yellow stang wit the black on top went frm s/c to turbo lil disappointed s/c-404 hp/372 tq.......turbo-447hp/431tq
Old 11-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well hell if you've got a cheap one then why not! I've been actually looking for one so I can pop new gears in it and s/c, but I haven't found a good donor car and online everything is way too expensive even used that I've seen
Old 11-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN95V600
so spectorv and davidcseifert would you say its better for a 8.8 swap im thinking of doing that rather then the stock 7.5 just my opinion lol and also davidcseifert i wanted to ask if you have any video i can check out of your car?
Yes look up david053092 on YouTube, the more recent videos are current setup except for the dyno it still had cats on there

Quote:
Well im building mine gana have the windstar intake forged internals spray it dont know what shot yet shooting for 125 150 with purge kit and i came across a donor car girl from work has a 01 5spd she might let me take it off her hands just need break her off lol but yea theres a guybon youtube who i have been wathing his vids for a min its a yellow stang wit the black on top went frm s/c to turbo lil disappointed s/c-404 hp/372 tq.......turbo-447hp/431tq
If you go the route like you said here I would recommend 8.8 especially if manual since it puts more of a shock on the rear of the car when launching

And I know him haha jpl4k3 he's running a forum right now, not bad numbers considering his style cam and other factors

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 11-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

What does deleted IMRCs from lower intake mean?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What does deleted IMRCs from lower intake mean?
In the 01-04 models there are runners in the lower intake that have butterfly valves in them, they open up ~3000rpms, helps with low end tq

blower/new cam soon
Old 11-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

So im 00'? No help in mine then?......idk i dnt know the exact year on the engine its a replacement

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Did you use a spacer on your windstar i forgot still havent finished it i dnt want the iac on top tryna see how to rig it
Old 11-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I need kyles page link
Old 11-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

http://kylepersonperformance.m.webs.com

Quote:
So im 00'? No help in mine then?......idk i dnt know the exact year on the engine its a replacement

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Did you use a spacer on your windstar i forgot still havent finished it i dnt want the iac on top tryna see how to rig it
Yeah 00 won't have then, and if the motor replaced in yours has them it isn't functional since your ecu doesn't have the program for it

And no spacer under the intake if that's what you mean, I have an adapter for my throttle body but that's it

blower/new cam soon
Old 11-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
That would suck having IMRC's that are stuck closed....
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgerow12
That would suck having IMRC's that are stuck closed....
Yep, and people with boosted cars delete them because the boost will keep them **** haha

blower/new cam soon
Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I went with 3.73 (and TLOK), and it was definitely a noticeable improvement. You wont make more power, but your RPMs will stay higher between shifts, and therefore you will go faster. I got mine used off ebay as a combo for 400$, and have not had a problem yet after a year (people take them out of their F-150's when they upgrade to 4.10's or higher). I try to use Ford Racing parts whenever I can, so that is what I would recommend for you.

The TLok is a great investment. it will help you put more power to the road, and make your car safer to drive. I have owned 3 mustangs; my second one I wrecked in the rain by accelerating too hard. Because the power goes to one wheel in a stock mustang, it sent me spinning out into the guard rail while I was getting on the interstate. When I put the Tlok on this one, traction improved significantly, particularly in the rain. I recently added fatter tires, and I am now only "chirping" in the rain when I floor it, and leaving camaro drivers feeling inadequate about their suspension.
Jlope014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
the issue with the 7.5" rear tlok (oem design with spider gears/clutches) is that its weak to shock (instant take off such as with slicks from a high rpm). The spider gears will break~

if you stay off the track you wont need anything else but if you play to run on a sticky track or with sticky tires it can cause breakage.

If you are gonna go to the track and launch the car hard go with a auburn or some other brand thats stronger.

DO GEARS AT THE SAME TIME its the same basic amount of work so should save you some cash.
Do you mean the stock LSD, or a TLOK made for the 7.5? The 7.5 rear-end is well-known to take up to 300hp and do just fine. I would expect having to change the clutch before having to change the entire rear-end.

You aren't supposed to use slicks on a stock 3.8 period. It would likely break the 8.8 after a few pulls as well. You have to have the right suspension setup and a good amount of HP before you even think about using slicks.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

maybe it's the tq difference here... but ever since the t-lok rain driving is scary as hell

blower/new cam soon
Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I would agree with David. My car won't really kick out with an open diff.
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
maybe it's the tq difference here... but ever since the t-lok rain driving is scary as hell
That is weird lol...I found it much easier to stay straight in the rain, but I am running bolt-ons here. Maybe you are running alot more power...I'd like to have that problem someday lol
Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
So I'm planning on buying one this week....would you go with ford racing or auburn?
Dantheman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post

Spec, I am in that boat. Broke my side gears. Feeling like driving with the brakes on. Lots of load. Rebuilt my rear end but guess the fellas missed the signs of the diff going out. Busted them pretty good. Had I known that they were bad I woulda bought 31 spline mosers. too late I am stuck with 28s. Though not bad I cant find 28 spliners easily. Looks like the market is headed to 31s for Stangs. Ever heard of Yukon's. That's where I'm at. They are cheap. Wish I could afford the Torsens. Any ideas/help the current post?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Vehicle Weight is calculated into the total package too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlope014 View Post
Do you mean the stock LSD, or a TLOK made for the 7.5? The 7.5 rear-end is well-known to take up to 300hp and do just fine. I would expect having to change the clutch before having to change the entire rear-end.

You aren't supposed to use slicks on a stock 3.8 period. It would likely break the 8.8 after a few pulls as well. You have to have the right suspension setup and a good amount of HP before you even think about using slicks.
Can't say I know much bout 6's, but dont forget to calculate the weight ratio of the car too. Even if you dont use slicks, the weight ratio can bust the diff on a few hard launches. I am north of 350 on a V8 vert and still toasted my diff (right after a rebuild). Also, If I got it right, LSD, T-Lock, and Posi, are all similar except the clutch system they use to determine when lock up is to occurr. All should lock up onhard launches.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
Can't say I know much bout 6's, but dont forget to calculate the weight ratio of the car too. Even if you dont use slicks, the weight ratio can bust the diff on a few hard launches. I am north of 350 on a V8 vert and still toasted my diff (right after a rebuild). Also, If I got it right, LSD, T-Lock, and Posi, are all similar except the clutch system they use to determine when lock up is to occurr. All should lock up onhard launches.

ouch! Lol...I want your car!

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman94 View Post
So I'm planning on buying one this week....would you go with ford racing or auburn?
I have read that auburn is more reliable, but until you are making serious power, I have found the Ford Racing parts never fail me, and so far neither has their TLOk, and I got mine used.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang