Gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Gears

I'm getting 3.73 gears. Should I get ford racing gears or motive performance plus?
V6in is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

They are both good, I'm running with Ford Racing and they are great, good grab, and I've never heard anything bad about them. Make sure to get the master rebuild kit because it is worth the money and have a reputable shop put them in because if you do them yourself they will burn up pretty quick if you don't have a press and if you have no experience doing gears. Oh, and make sure you break them in right because if you just start slamming them as soon as their done than you'll have to pay for a new set and install
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Burning the gears because you don't have a press? Hmm that's new lol
Me and my uncle put in my gears and posi without anything more than normal hand tools and the measuring tool (dial indicator?) for backlash

Drove 2 miles after install then hard launches about 10 times playing around.. No noises anything 10K miles later, guess I'm lucky

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty
They are both good, I'm running with Ford Racing and they are great, good grab, and I've never heard anything bad about them. Make sure to get the master rebuild kit because it is worth the money and have a reputable shop put them in because if you do them yourself they will burn up pretty quick if you don't have a press and if you have no experience doing gears. Oh, and make sure you break them in right because if you just start slamming them as soon as their done than you'll have to pay for a new set and install
What is the master rebuild kit ? And how much did it cost u to have them installed?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sag-85-2013
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #6

Region: Alabama
I recently purchased the ford racing 3.73 gears from americanmuscle for my 98 and they make a world of a difference! before the gears I had installed a few bolt-ons but nothing made such a noticeable difference as the gears. I have 18x10.5 wheels in the rear and I can spin them into second gear with the new gears! just be careful because the highway becomes somewhat of a hassle and your speedo will be all screwed up
TGrizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

A tuner should fix that right? I planned on getting both around the same time.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #8

I'm not sure, I know in order to fix it you have to buy a new small plastic gear that goes from your speedometer to your transmission... you can order them from Ford or online. the one problem you'll run into is on the highway when your doing about 90 the speedo says your doing 110 and the governor will kick in.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGrizzy
I'm not sure, I know in order to fix it you have to buy a new small plastic gear that goes from your speedometer to your transmission... you can order them from Ford or online. the one problem you'll run into is on the highway when your doing about 90 the speedo says your doing 110 and the governor will kick in.
He has a new edge everything is electronic so a new tune is all you need to modify for the gears messing with the speedo.

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #10

oh then yes a new tuner should do the trick, probably put it on a dyno also
Old 11-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
at some point in time ford racing started letting some other company make their gears, and I thought it was Motive~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang