Flowmaster 40 exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Flowmaster 40 exhaust

Hello guys! I've recently been posting on here about possibly getting my friend's 08 stock gt axelback exhaust put onto my 04 v6 with some new mufflers but the other day i took my car to a shop to get a quote and they told me they would put on the flowmaster 40 exhaust system with an x pipe and chrome tips all for $440!! Isn't that crazy! Let me know what you think!
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
No that's about right on a custom exhaust
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
No that's about right on a custom exhaust
i ment it as a good thing! i was surprised i thought it was going to be way more! That includes labor cost as well! it was cool seeing beneath my car for the first time as well lol.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
ProudSixxer26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1

i ment it as a good thing! i was surprised i thought it was going to be way more! That includes labor cost as well! it was cool seeing beneath my car for the first time as well lol.
Yours was cheaper then mine I got flow 40's with no midpipe with chrome tips stainless for $500. And put a vid of ur exhaust when you get would love to hear it!
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
i don't think i've ever spent more then $300 for a custom exhaust with install...but location is everything
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSixxer26

Yours was cheaper then mine I got flow 40's with no midpipe with chrome tips stainless for $500. And put a vid of ur exhaust when you get would love to hear it!
you got it man! do you like having no mid pipe? is it louder? do you lose or gain power?
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
you don't lose or gain any power with a midpipe..all it does is shift the power band. also yes divorced is louder then a mid piped setup. although some people like to change the tone with one. the combinations of mufflers and midpipes really keep things interesting
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
lemons95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 835
I think the x-pipe makes are V6's sound raspy. See if you can get a H-pipe or just divorced duals.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dgerow12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 502
Pro chamber FTW. Best of both worlds. Flow of an x with the sound of an h
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
I do love my prochamber
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
i don't think i've ever spent more then $300 for a custom exhaust with install...but location is everything
i called this other place and the guy wants $620 to do it. same exhaust and everything. i'd like to get a deep muscle car sound. what do you reccommend i go with? the h pipe?
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
For the deepest of sound an h pipe or prochamber for the midpipe and flowmaster 44 mufflers. Btw a prochamber is quite expensive so keep that in mind
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
For the deepest of sound an h pipe or prochamber for the midpipe and flowmaster 44 mufflers. Btw a prochamber is quite expensive so keep that in mind
hmm here is exactly what i want maybe you can help me out and tell me what i need ha. I want it to be as loud as possible but have a deep muscle car sound too.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Are you able to go catless
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
ProudSixxer26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1

you got it man! do you like having no mid pipe? is it louder? do you lose or gain power?
I like divorced duals and it had a nice rumble at low elms and you can really hear it at 2000 rpm
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
brooksyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Washington
Posts: 171
Looking at getting a custom fabbed dual exhaust in the next few months. Probably going to go with an H pipe catback setup (darn WA emissions ha). Sounds like there are some pretty cheap but still decent quality shops in the Portland OR area. Looking to spend no more that $300 if possible. Would a divorced pipe setup be cheaper? Dont really care about the power, just want the sound and look of dual pipes coming out the back.
brooksyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
yes divorced is cheaper....and the power is the same either way
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
lemons95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 835
if your looking to just get the sound have a shop weld a single in dual out muffler to your Y-pipe and have two pipes coming out the back.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
if your looking to just get the sound have a shop weld a single in dual out muffler to your Y-pipe and have two pipes coming out the back.
not worth it compared to true duals imo...big output difference sound wise. if he can afford two mufflers then i'd reccomend it
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
Are you able to go catless
like do you mean is it legal?
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dgerow12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 502
Do u live in a state that does visual/exhaust emissions testing
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgerow12
Do u live in a state that does visual/exhaust emissions testing
i live in texas and ive never heard of them doing that so no.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

not worth it compared to true duals imo...big output difference sound wise. if he can afford two mufflers then i'd reccomend it
i think im just going to go with true duals, an x pipe, and 2 mufflers. i heard going divorced will make it sound like a ricer?

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSixxer26

Yours was cheaper then mine I got flow 40's with no midpipe with chrome tips stainless for $500. And put a vid of ur exhaust when you get would love to hear it!
does having divorced duals make it sound raspy like a ricer?
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
ProudSixxer26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1

i think im just going to go with true duals, an x pipe, and 2 mufflers. i heard going divorced will make it sound like a ricer?

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------



does having divorced duals make it sound raspy like a ricer?
Mine sounds nothing like a ricer and x pipe gives u the ricey sound I would go h pipe If u hav cash and divorced if u have none like me
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1 View Post
i think im just going to go with true duals, an x pipe, and 2 mufflers. i heard going divorced will make it sound like a ricer?

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------



does having divorced duals make it sound raspy like a ricer?
it's the opposite actually...divorced will be loud...kinda poppy at higher rpms...an x pipe will be raspy and well with an even firing engine raspy doesn't sound good at least to me. have you listened to clips on youtube?
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
ProudSixxer26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

it's the opposite actually...divorced will be loud...kinda poppy at higher rpms...an x pipe will be raspy and well with an even firing engine raspy doesn't sound good at least to me. have you listened to clips on youtube?
Exactly my point good job 1slosix
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
ProudSixxer26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1

i think im just going to go with true duals, an x pipe, and 2 mufflers. i heard going divorced will make it sound like a ricer?

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------



does having divorced duals make it sound raspy like a ricer?
This sounds like mine but mines alittle louder

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=lulK3avqkGk
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
it's the opposite actually...divorced will be loud...kinda poppy at higher rpms...an x pipe will be raspy and well with an even firing engine raspy doesn't sound good at least to me. have you listened to clips on
youtube?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSixxer26
Mine sounds nothing like a ricer and x pipe gives u the ricey sound I would go h pipe If u hav cash and divorced if u have none like me
so now im thinking, true duals, with h pipe, and two mufflers. is that a good setup? im thinking of getting bbk shorty headers put on as well.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
ProudSixxer26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1

so now im thinking, true duals, with h pipe, and two mufflers. is that a good setup? im thinking of getting bbk shorty headers put on as well.
Good set up but I would go LT instead of shortys and I would get 3 inch chrome tips that stick out the back about two inches cause to me that looks amazing!!

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksyx
Looking at getting a custom fabbed dual exhaust in the next few months. Probably going to go with an H pipe catback setup (darn WA emissions ha). Sounds like there are some pretty cheap but still decent quality shops in the Portland OR area. Looking to spend no more that $300 if possible. Would a divorced pipe setup be cheaper? Dont really care about the power, just want the sound and look of dual pipes coming out the back.
Look into finding a used exhaust or buy some thrush mufflers they sound like flow 40's and are only $40 a piece, but nothing beats the real flows.
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSixxer26

Good set up but I would go LT instead of shortys and I would get 3 inch chrome tips that stick out the back about two inches cause to me that looks amazing!!

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------



Look into finding a used exhaust or buy some thrush mufflers they sound like flow 40's and are only $40 a piece, but nothing beats the real flows.
the guy said chrome tips were included and i want to get my bumper cutout to fit the dual exhaust! that would look good! i heard long tubes could hit the ground though.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
ProudSixxer26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1

the guy said chrome tips were included and i want to get my bumper cutout to fit the dual exhaust! that would look good! i heard long tubes could hit the ground though.
Always get tips and I would risk LT just cause the performance is better
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
lemons95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 835
the 94-98 V6's have factory headers that should be just as good as after market headers if you want short tube headers see if you can get those. LT headers sound a lot better from what i've read.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
i'm still not sure if sn95 sixxer headers will fit a new edge...i've thought about trying a set out just to see. If anyone can find any info on this that would be great.
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSixxer26

Always get tips and I would risk LT just cause the performance is better
haha i'll have to look some up. because i read the reviews on the american muscle ones and they werent too good! But i won't getting my exhaust until about christmas time but i'll make sure to post a video up! really apperciate the help guys!
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
lemons95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 835
If they were still out of my car I could of put them on the cracked set of split-port heads I have to see if they fit.
I think I read that they fit.
but I looked at the split port and single port heads side by side and it looked like the single port head have bigger exhaust ports.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust

« 8.8 Gears | fuse »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:37 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.