Modifying predator tunes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Modifying predator tunes

Hey all, this is my first question here. I have been reading these forums for about 20 minutes, and the people here seem knowledgeable and active. I am wondering if anyone has experience modifying predator canned tunes? I have added full exhaust (intake, long tubes, high flow cats, divorced duals) to my 3.8 and I can't afford a custom tune right now. I am told that I can play with the fuel trim (I use the 93 tune consistently) since I am flowing alot more air over stock. I honestly don't know how to read the live data log, so I am wondering if anyone can tell me what values I need to pay attention to, and how to adjust fuel accordingly.

Also, I am wondering if anyone can tell me would a dyno tune make that much of a difference to justify spending the extra money? I have heard mixed comments on this. I don't know if it is relevant, but I also have gears and tlok and fatter tires on 17" rims (16 are stock), in addition to the aforementioned exhaust upgrades.
Jlope014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
well you aren't pulling in much more air then stock with just a CAI...now if it was a windstar it would be a different story.

as for the dyno tune...well worth the cash when you do mods needing it. you still got a bit to go before that's needed.

what gears are you running? and what do you call fatter tires? 255, 275? any more info can help

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
well you aren't pulling in much more air then stock with just a CAI...now if it was a windstar it would be a different story.

as for the dyno tune...well worth the cash when you do mods needing it. you still got a bit to go before that's needed.

what gears are you running? and what do you call fatter tires? 255, 275? any more info can help

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that the intake alone took in considerably more air, and the headers/exhaust allowed the car to do so even more due to increased flow. I am by no means a mechanic, and certainly could have been led to a false understanding.

I am using 3.73 gears with TLOK, and the tires are 275 in the rear, 255 in the front and 17" rims all around. I want to build the engine all natural if I can, with forged internals and possible nitrous in the end. I know I will need a nitrous tune at that point, but since it is a ways off in the future, I just wondered if I could get more out of my canned predator tune. They made it seem (when I bought it) like if I had exhaust mods at the time, they would have modified the can tunes to fit my exhaust. So it makes me feel like I should be able to get more out of the tune by modifying it, since it was made for a bone stock car. Lol...Oh the insatiable desire to go faster!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Average dyno gains for all those mods usually net 10-20 rwhp before the tune. If you want to talk an N/A build pm David. He will talk you against it for the most part but he has built his sixxer N/A. Its alot of money for a little gain when comparing to FI. Although he does run with stock 99-04 GTs now

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
Average dyno gains for all those mods usually net 10-20 rwhp before the tune. If you want to talk an N/A build pm David. He will talk you against it for the most part but he has built his sixxer N/A. Its alot of money for a little gain when comparing to FI. Although he does run with stock 99-04 GTs now
Really? I thought building the engine was cheaper than getting a boost setup?

Really I just wanted to be unique also, but if it's cheaper to go with boost, I may just go that route, because fast > unique I say...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang