2004 v6 mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
2004 v6 mustang

I'm just wondering if anyone could put in their input on what upgrades I should get next to improve my performance because after looking on AM for a bit I'm not sure what's the best thing to get next. I have:
Flow master exhaust.
BBK cold air intake
Msd coil pack and spark plug wires
NGK iridium spark plugs
BBK throttle body
A Bama custom tuner

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Additionally it is a 3.9L automatic transmission. I clean the fuel injectors regularly too.
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Get some LTs and a new midpipe to finish up your exhaust.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Gears
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
just get an 8.8 rear...you'll get both tires spinning that way. might even get lucky and find one with gears. if not they come stock 99-04 with 3:27s so its a direct bolt on..no need for a speedo recalibration

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
what is your budget and HP goal?
ChrisTorres08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'd drop the throttle body unless your going to go with a turbo or blower. Tuner, CAI and a full exhaust are definatly on my list. Little bit of every area with those. You get visual/engine dress-up, performance and some BA sound
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You actually might have to get a speedo recal. I had a GT rear put in my '98, and the speedo is always 10 off. But I don't know if the newer v6's had the 2.73 like my v6 did, lol.
LaseRedXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
On 99-04 models the computer calibrates the speedo electronically. On 98 and older they use gears to change the calibration of the speedo. Also in 94-98 GT's had the option to come with 3.08 gears instead of 2.73
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoss.20 View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone could put in their input on what upgrades I should get next to improve my performance because after looking on AM for a bit I'm not sure what's the best thing to get next. I have:
Flow master exhaust.
BBK cold air intake
NGK iridium spark plugs
BBK throttle body
A Bama custom tuner

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Additionally it is a 3.9L automatic transmission. I clean the fuel injectors regularly too.
PRoss,

Everything being tossed around will definitely be a good upgrade. I would probably go with gears if this was my car. Those will be the most beneficial in fun department!

Since it's automatic you could go with 4.10s if you wanted to!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions or need any assistance. Keep up the great work with your build!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

PRoss,

Everything being tossed around will definitely be a good upgrade. I would probably go with gears if this was my car. Those will be the most beneficial in fun department!

Since it's automatic you could go with 4.10s if you wanted to!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions or need any assistance. Keep up the great work with your build!

-Dan
On American muscle they have the 4.10 gears but it says you should get a speedo recalibration. Is that true? Also do they gears hurt mpg?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
most all upgrades dont do anything or do very very little for the 3.8L engines.

Underdrive pulleys
CAI
dual 2.25 in pipe catback exhaust
Tune
Gears/Tlok
Alum DS

Thats about it until you start looking at porting the intakes or heads etc~ other stuff other than that really doesnt do anything

Gears are the best bang for the buck, but you have 3.27's stock so 3.73 wont really make a HUGE difference, but should be noticable (.25 quicker)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On American muscle they have the 4.10 gears but it says you should get a speedo recalibration. Is that true? Also do they gears hurt mpg?
yes you will need a recalibration...and being an auto you really don't want to run without one

Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm getting mixed replies with some people saying I need a recalibration for the speed pans others saying the computers in 04's do it by themselves.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

You will need a recalibration...

Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I agree, you will need a recal. Your rear end isn't gonna know if you switch up the gear ratio, there's no sensors back there or anything.

But if you just decide to do an 8.8 swap, they have 3.27's in them. And your best bet would be a junkyard!
LaseRedXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831
Gears
X2
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

one upgrade you could do isn't performance but it's a huge visual punch...

i just painted my mach chin today to match the car...i like the new look

before...

after...

Old 11-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Alright thanks I think I'll get the gears off AM especially if they go on sale for Black Friday. Of course 250-300 bucks seems like a **** ton

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoss.20
Alright thanks I think I'll get the gears off AM especially if they go on sale for Black Friday. Of course 250-300 bucks seems like a **** ton
For installation not the gears
Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Flow master exhaust.
BBK cold air intake
NGK iridium spark plugs
BBK throttle body
A Bama custom tuner

Nice list IMHO I'd drop the plugs (unless you really need them),coil pack and TB off the wish list

Exhaust,CAI,gears and tuner are your best option, with the tuner they can correct for gears( go 4:10) the tune will also beef up your shifts points and put a smile on your face. I had mine tuned by VMP and it worth ever penny

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Flow master exhaust.
BBK cold air intake
NGK iridium spark plugs
BBK throttle body
A Bama custom tuner

Is your flowmaster exhaust catback, axleback, what? If it is incomplete, I would complete it all the way up to the engine with some long tubes and some high flows. If you live in a state that does 0 emissions testing, then by all means go catless but the sound is raspier and annoying to many.

First off, something you can do for free is to go back to your stock throttle body size. I have seen many people examine tb's and spacers and find that upgrading these on an otherwise stock v6 actually hurts performance a slight bit.

Gears and Tlok should hands down be your next step. Most people reccommend 3.73's for a dd, but some prefer 4.10's on the automatic transmissions. If you are using a tuner, your transmission should be moving power somewhat better than stock anyways, so I don't think it matters. Use your tuner to recalibrate for the new gears when you get your car back. Come back and talk about how awesome it was.

Then I would look at upgrading your front sway bar and adding one to the rear. You can buy them as a pair usually, or as part of a suspension kit. Doing the rear upper and lower control arms also improves handling and gives you significantly better launch, and lightens your car. Lose even more wight by getting tubular control arms up front, and/or tubular k member. The flaming river steering racks can give you more precise turning and weigh less than stock, but they usually don't tell you that you also have to buy the couplings/install kit that costs more than the steering rack it's-self. In any event, losing weight is just about as good as adding power.
Jlope014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

jlope..some of your advice is good, but when it comes to UCAs and LCAs there's some very important things to keep in mind...especially when starting to talk about bushing design. Besides without some strengthening for the UCAs you can actually cause quite a bit of damage after a while if pushed hard. just some things to keep in mind.

as for the sway bars...go too big and you can have adverse affects if you don't have the rest of the suspension built for them. a good way to get a rear sway though is to buy a used one off of a GT...usually $30ish from what i've found online on sites like craigslist or local salvage yards. gotta love budget builds

Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
J mod would make it feel faster
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
jlope..some of your advice is good, but when it comes to UCAs and LCAs there's some very important things to keep in mind...especially when starting to talk about bushing design. Besides without some strengthening for the UCAs you can actually cause quite a bit of damage after a while if pushed hard. just some things to keep in mind.

as for the sway bars...go too big and you can have adverse affects if you don't have the rest of the suspension built for them. a good way to get a rear sway though is to buy a used one off of a GT...usually $30ish from what i've found online on sites like craigslist or local salvage yards. gotta love budget builds
Im sure you are right; but I happened to get lucky then, because I found a cheap pair on LMR that are strong as a rock, and perform quite well. they also left me with a nice stance. I was told they were the same as steeda but their "off-brand" name. They do look exactly the same as the steeda ones. The only bad thing about them is they came with medium-full length SFC that have to be bent to fit.
First thing I noticed after putting them on was that even in the rain, when I spin tires they catch must faster. Now it's a quick chirp and hard pull rather than having to let off the gas to make the tires catch fast. So look around and read I would say. But you are right, and I would do the sway bars first before doing control arms. I got the actual Eibach sway bars, and I love them. They handle well and take a lot of stress. Just be sure to thread-lock the bolts on them or you will find yourself retightening them every other day. From what I understand, sway bars should in general take more stress than they cause on a car, but I can see some being too thick and unnecessarily heavy.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

One thing I stupidly did a while back is I went for the y pipe instead of converting the car to a true dual. I regret it now but I was wanting a new exhaust and AM's dual exhaust converters were sold out. Should I go to a true dual? Will it make a big difference? And what could I do with the exhaust I have now?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoss.20
One thing I stupidly did a while back is I went for the y pipe instead of converting the car to a true dual. I regret it now but I was wanting a new exhaust and AM's dual exhaust converters were sold out. Should I go to a true dual? Will it make a big difference? And what could I do with the exhaust I have now?
Cut the y pipe out and put in a h or x pipe or go divorced then you will hav true duals for less $$$!!
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSixxer26 View Post
Cut the y pipe out and put in a h or x pipe or go divorced then you will hav true duals for less $$$!!
how would you do that? Sounds like a lot of custom fabrication
Old 11-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
how would you do that? Sounds like a lot of custom fabrication
It's easy. You cut the y right before it connects to the one single pipe (behind the cats) then just run pipe from there to the mufflers. Then you can dump them under the car or have tail pipes
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:15 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh1994 View Post
It's easy. You cut the y right before it connects to the one single pipe (behind the cats) then just run pipe from there to the mufflers. Then you can dump them under the car or have tail pipes
He is right, but get a set of high flow cats if you are gonna do this. Trust me...save you from emissions hassles, not to mention better for the environment and your health. You can grab a cheap set on AM or LMR.

If you are even considering long tube headers (which I recommend), get it all done at once. You don't want to go cutting and pasting exhaust repeatedly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
v6 mustang