3.8l 2000 manual starting issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #1

Region: California
Exclamation 3.8l 2000 manual starting issue

started car, and ran fine, got to where i was going and idled in lot for about 20 minutes, was fine, shut car off and checked restart, and it started then started to idle rough, then died. now wont restart, (has happened once before) fuel pump fuse good (thats all ive been able to check so far) any help would be welcomed.

thanks.

Lou
Lousiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousiffer
started car, and ran fine, got to where i was going and idled in lot for about 20 minutes, was fine, shut car off and checked restart, and it started then started to idle rough, then died. now wont restart, (has happened once before) fuel pump fuse good (thats all ive been able to check so far) any help would be welcomed.

thanks.

Lou
Low on gas? Eliminate all background noise and listen for the fuel pump itself to start up. Let me know what happens
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #3

cant hear fuel pump (never was able to even when it did run) friend pounded on tank and cant get it to start have just over 1/4 tank but thats never been an issue before. was thinking fuel filter, would the fuel pump not spin up if it realizes that the fuel cant go anywhere past the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
cant hear fuel pump (never was able to even when it did run) friend pounded on tank and cant get it to start have just over 1/4 tank but thats never been an issue before. was thinking fuel filter, would the fuel pump not spin up if it realizes that the fuel cant go anywhere past the tank?
Normally no. I'd have that fuel pump looked at, sounds like the issue. If you can't hear it, that's a good indication its not working
Old 11-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Before you drop the tank:

-pop the trunk, have someone listen for the fuel pump.
-turn the key to start position, but do not start the car. Turn off, do it again. Each time you do this the pump gets louder as the fuel pressure in the line builds up and the pump reaches max pressure. you should hear it. If you can't, maybe its the pump.
-the most dangerous way to find out is to disconnect the high pressure line in the right side near the fire wall. The line leading directly to the rail. Place a rag over the nozzle and pressurize by turning the key (this is dangerous if you have ignition sources nearby) you must have a helper to turn the key off in an instant to stop the pump.It only takes a split second. Once again, this method is not recommended. you should get one hell of a squirt from the fuel line. BTW you will need a line disconnet too. Its similar to the AC line tool.
-Before you do the above, find the fuel pump fuse and check it.

My fuel filter was stock in my car for 14 years and never clogged so I am curious on why your car won't start.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT

-turn the key to start position, but do not start the car. Turn off, do it again. Each time you do this the pump gets louder as the fuel pressure in the line builds up and the pump reaches max pressure. you should hear it. If you can't, maybe its the pump.
-the most dangerous way to find out is to disconnect the high pressure line in the right side near the fire wall. The line leading directly to the rail. Place a rag over the nozzle and pressurize by turning the key (this is dangerous if you have ignition sources nearby) you must have a helper to turn the key off in an instant to stop the pump.It only takes a split second. Once again, this method is not recommended. you should get one hell of a squirt from the fuel line. BTW you will need a line disconnet too. Its similar to the AC line tool.

My fuel filter was stock in my car for 14 years and never clogged so I am curious on why your car won't start.
They sell them cheap at auto zone, find a 3/8 one. They may also let you use a fuel pressure gauge, which hooks directly to your Schrader valve to check pressure at the rails
Old 11-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post

Ok, just in case I went to the Hanyes manual so check this out:

Assuming your engine rotates but will not start.

-Fuel tank empty.
- battery dischardged (engine rotates slowly).
-Battery terminal connections loose or corroded.
-Fuel nt reaching injectors. Check for clogged fuel filter or lines and defective fuel pump. Also, make sure the tank vent lines are't clogged.
-Low cylinder compression.
-Water in fuel. Drain tank and refill with fuel.
-Defective ignition coils.
-Dirty or clogged fuel injectors
-Wet or damp ignition components.
-Wet or damaged ignition components.
-Worn, faulty or incorrectly gaped spark plugs.
-Broken, loose or disconnected wires in the starting circuit.
-Broken, loose or disconnected wires at teh itnigiion coil or faulty coil.
-Timing chain failure or wear affecting valve timing.
-Fuel or engine control systems failure.
-Defective MAF sensor.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #8

ok, got the car on a lift, fuel filter still good, its the pump, the pump is shot. so i have to buy a new one. and of course its the expensive one. and a new filter.

thanks guys.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok, got the car on a lift, fuel filter still good, its the pump, the pump is shot. so i have to buy a new one. and of course its the expensive one. and a new filter.

thanks guys.
How much is the pump?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenProto View Post
How much is the pump?
got it from pep boys cause theyre the only ones that sell the carter brand, which is just about as good as motorcraft, it was 200$ airtex brand from autozone or oreillys is 10$ less. my fuel pump and filter was original, tested and installed on 1-7-2000 so, almost 13 years and 130k miles, not bad for a fuel pump. only thing im stuck with right now which im gonna go to the dealer for tomorrow is the filler neck seal (the one on the tank) cause apparently no one stocks it.... and it has to be finished tomorrow nite.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousiffer View Post
got it from pep boys cause theyre the only ones that sell the carter brand, which is just about as good as motorcraft, it was 200$ airtex brand from autozone or oreillys is 10$ less. my fuel pump and filter was original, tested and installed on 1-7-2000 so, almost 13 years and 130k miles, not bad for a fuel pump. only thing im stuck with right now which im gonna go to the dealer for tomorrow is the filler neck seal (the one on the tank) cause apparently no one stocks it.... and it has to be finished tomorrow nite.

Hey!!
Hold up!!
Don't install that pump yet. Go back to Pep Boys and find out what a 255ltr pump costs. Why? Having a higher performance pump would set you up for future upgrades. Imagine, 8AN UPR fuel rails with 8AN high, and 6AN low end. Get my drift. If you ever reach that point, it will be beneficial to you. Pumps last forever. Ok, now you can go ahead. LOL. That's why I love this forum. Think about it.

Las97GT
Old 11-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yes! I just had to replace mine recently (didn't completely die, but under WOT I only had 9 psi at the rails) look for a walbro 255. Put that in mine and I love it! TU228HP is what to search Google for.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #13

I would've, but being in sacramento ca, I have to conform to smog rules, therefore extra pressure would hinder the car from passing smog, lol its our weekend car now, my toy/ daily driver is a 71 pre smog mini cooper. All its missing is a supercharger. Lol thanks though. If I ever move out of state and can mod the car I will look into it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang