Knocking sound - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Sixtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 160
Knocking sound

Hey guys
As of recently I've been hearing a knocking sound that happens when I make somewhat sharp turns at low speeds. Obviously it's something suspension/steering related but I was wondering if any of you guys seen or heard this before and what the exact problem was. My buddy swears it's my ball bearings and I think it is possibly one of my tie rod ends going bad. Any ideas?
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
ball bearings? does he mean ball joints? if so it's possible it's one if its more of a popping noise...especially when it comes to low speed cornering. check the grease bags on them and see if they are empty or busted. if empty just pack them with grease and see if that helps any...while you're at it check the tie rod ends but usually it's a ball joint
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Sixtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 160
Okay, could there be any damage done to the ball joints? If so how much to fix?
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
08SteedaQ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sixtang
Hey guys
As of recently I've been hearing a knocking sound that happens when I make somewhat sharp turns at low speeds. Obviously it's something suspension/steering related but I was wondering if any of you guys seen or heard this before and what the exact problem was. My buddy swears it's my ball bearings and I think it is possibly one of my tie rod ends going bad. Any ideas?
My 300zx did this really bad at low speeds. Sounded like someone under te car hitting it with a sledge.
Needed new ball joints and tie rod ends.
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Sixtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 160
did you do it yourself or did you pay a shop, if so how much?
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
08SteedaQ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sixtang
did you do it yourself or did you pay a shop, if so how much?
I just sold it to my uncle and let him fix it lol
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Sixtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 160
Haha I see, smart move. I'm trying to sell mine so I can buy my buddies cobra off him haha
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
08SteedaQ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sixtang
Haha I see, smart move. I'm trying to sell mine so I can buy my buddies cobra off him haha
Yeah I upgraded to an 08 gt
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jlope014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sixtang View Post
Hey guys
As of recently I've been hearing a knocking sound that happens when I make somewhat sharp turns at low speeds. Obviously it's something suspension/steering related but I was wondering if any of you guys seen or heard this before and what the exact problem was. My buddy swears it's my ball bearings and I think it is possibly one of my tie rod ends going bad. Any ideas?
I would guess shocks are worn and your control arm is hitting the undercarriage.

Could be loose sway bar also. Steering rack is a less likely and more expensive possibility.

These have been my knocking noise experiences anyways- except, thankfully, for the steering rack.
Jlope014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Sixtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 160
It only makes noise when I turn at low speeds though. If the shocks were worn that bad and the control arm was hitting it would most likely make noise when I went over speed bumps as well which it doesn't. Because it happens when I turn is why I believe it's either ball joints or tie rod problems, it sounds like something is loose or a bolt snapped and something is wiggling around and making noise when I turn.
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
08SteedaQ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sixtang
It only makes noise when I turn at low speeds though. If the shocks were worn that bad and the control arm was hitting it would most likely make noise when I went over speed bumps as well which it doesn't. Because it happens when I turn is why I believe it's either ball joints or tie rod problems, it sounds like something is loose or a bolt snapped and something is wiggling around and making noise when I turn.
Car in park. Wheels straight. Stand to the back side of your from tire and give the wheel a swift kick with your foot. If the tire moves forward, change your ball joints. You will also be able to hear it vibrate when you kick it if they are bad.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SteedaQ350

Car in park. Wheels straight. Stand to the back side of your from tire and give the wheel a swift kick with your foot. If the tire moves forward, change your ball joints. You will also be able to hear it vibrate when you kick it if they are bad.
If they are bad, you will see your wheel rock forward

That's my southern coonass diagnoses for bad ball joints
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Sixtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 160
Haha alright I tried you're way, nothin moves. When I kicked the drivers side front tho something rattled, it sounded like that aluminum plate behind the rotor
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
08SteedaQ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sixtang
Haha alright I tried you're way, nothin moves. When I kicked the drivers side front tho something rattled, it sounded like that aluminum plate behind the rotor
Could be the problem. I have yet to crawl under my mustang to check everything out and see what it looks like. Only had it a month now.
Was just goin off general knowledge of working on past vehicles I've had
Get under there. Grab hold of some stuff and manhandle. Find out what's loose
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
sLbxO143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitman, MA
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 410
Just got my upper ball joint changed yesterday, at low speeds I would hear knocking and also when I would take my foot off of the brake it would also make a noise. It got so bad my steering wheel was also clicking when I turned. When I would turn the wheel it would also grind. The shop thought it could either be the outer tie rod end or the ball joint and It ended up being ball joint. I got it done for 250$ with an alignment as well. Hope this helps
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
jdavis96gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLbxO143 View Post
Just got my upper ball joint changed yesterday, at low speeds I would hear knocking and also when I would take my foot off of the brake it would also make a noise. It got so bad my steering wheel was also clicking when I turned. When I would turn the wheel it would also grind. The shop thought it could either be the outer tie rod end or the ball joint and It ended up being ball joint. I got it done for 250$ with an alignment as well. Hope this helps
Dam that's alot for a balljoint.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
sLbxO143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitman, MA
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt

Dam that's alot for a balljoint.
Tell me about It, if I didn't wait so long before it went bad could of gotten it done for free. Hardly could drive car though because the noise kept getting louder n louder. Happy fixed now though
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
jdavis96gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLbxO143 View Post
Tell me about It, if I didn't wait so long before it went bad could of gotten it done for free. Hardly could drive car though because the noise kept getting louder n louder. Happy fixed now though
Ye better to get it fixed before it breaks.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Sixtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 160
Well I decided to do some research on how to legit check if those ball joints are going bad. If anybody wants to do this in the future just to check, the best way to do it is to raise the car on jack stands. Put a little pressure up on the lower control arm with a jack. Then grab the top and bottom of the wheel and wiggle in and out. If there is any movement you've got a bad ball joint. Ima check mine tomorrow
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dgerow12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 502
These cars have strut mounts not upper balljoints. And mustang balljoints are known to go every 25-50k miles more or less depending on the bumpyness of the area u drive in
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
which is why when mine start to go i'll be going with x2 balljoints
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jlope014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt View Post
Dam that's alot for a balljoint.
You can rent the press from autozone you get all the money back only took me 3 hours or so to change both sides along with front struts and springs, and im an idiot.

Funny though, mine squeaked. never heard them click/thump before.
Jlope014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
sLbxO143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitman, MA
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlope014

You can rent the press from autozone you get all the money back only took me 3 hours or so to change both sides along with front struts and springs, and im an idiot.

Funny though, mine squeaked. never heard them click/thump before.
When I would turn my steeling wheel it would click and then when I was slowing down to turn it would actually be a grinding sound and thump because my ball joint boot was actually gone.
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Mine fell off this summer but after I changed both of them
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jlope014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLbxO143 View Post
When I would turn my steeling wheel it would click and then when I was slowing down to turn it would actually be a grinding sound and thump because my ball joint boot was actually gone.
Lol the stock boots on those things are crappy. When I changed mine, they were half gone, and I thought that was as bad as it could get. Maybe thats why I just got the grinding noise occasionally. The clicking is new to me though. Learn something new every day
Jlope014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:25 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.