Exhaust Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Exhaust Question

I'm getting my exhaust put on in the next month, i've finally saved up enough. But, I have a couple of questions still. This is the setup i am going with, Straight piped cats, custom h pipe, and catback flowmaster 40 dual exhaust. I've heard that straight piping your cats is bad for the motor, is that true? Also is this a good setup? Thanks!
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I haven't ever heard that cutting your cats off is bad for anything. If anything it would be better! (Not for the environment of course haha) I'm cutting off the rear cats on mine because the cats on these cars just kill the noise
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
I haven't ever heard that cutting your cats off is bad for anything. If anything it would be better! (Not for the environment of course haha) I'm cutting off the rear cats on mine because the cats on these cars just kill the noise
That's what i told the guy who told me that and he said that you need that balance in back pressure for the motor and I tried to tell him that the h pipe will balance that out. But i too want to take mine off because it will make the exhaust louder lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Getting rid of your cats won't hurt your engine. And at the same time I doubt that would give any noticeable increase in power. They aren't very restrictive. Leaving them on will burn exhaust fuel and won't have that constant rich smell of gas, hush some obnoxious exhaust noise down, the cars computer will continue as normal. Without them the car will be louder, slight power increase if your cats are restricting flow, you will need mil eliminators if you don't want to drive around with the check engine light on. The H pipe will help smooth out exhaust pulses and give you a nice deeper tone. Mufflers are almost entirely preference unless your putting down serious numbers.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The only thing that will suffer from deleting cats is a tad bit of torque. However, the right size piping will prevent that from being the case, and will allow better flow for more power. I can't remember off the top of my head if its 2.25 or 2.5 piping though.
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1

That's what i told the guy who told me that and he said that you need that balance in back pressure for the motor and I tried to tell him that the h pipe will balance that out. But i too want to take mine off because it will make the exhaust louder lol
I hav divorced duals and i got 2.5 to the mufflers and 2.25 to the tips to even out my back pressure and worked great.
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #7

So I guess you guys don't have required emission testing in your state? I am in TX and annual inspections require an emissions testing. If I took my Cats off I would fail just by sight alone. I don't know if it would be "overlooked" and I could pass the actual exhaust test.
2008crna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008crna
So I guess you guys don't have required emission testing in your state? I am in TX and annual inspections require an emissions testing. If I took my Cats off I would fail just by sight alone. I don't know if it would be "overlooked" and I could pass the actual exhaust test.
My state requires it, so i just hollowed my cats, and used a tuner to turn the rear o2 sensors off
Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1 View Post
I'm getting my exhaust put on in the next month, i've finally saved up enough. But, I have a couple of questions still. This is the setup i am going with, Straight piped cats, custom h pipe, and catback flowmaster 40 dual exhaust. I've heard that straight piping your cats is bad for the motor, is that true? Also is this a good setup? Thanks!
first off let me say that back pressure is a myth...the only term that matters is exhaust velocity. that being said back to your post...when you say straight pipe your cats i assume you mean cutting the cats off? usually straight pipe refers to not having mufflers so i think i know what you mean but i wanna be sure.

as for the setup you picked it'll sound fine...it's your basic v6 setup alot go with so we know it's tried and true...

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSixxer26

I hav divorced duals and i got 2.5 to the mufflers and 2.25 to the tips to even out my back pressure and worked great.
so you dont have a mid pipe right?

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

first off let me say that back pressure is a myth...the only term that matters is exhaust velocity. that being said back to your post...when you say straight pipe your cats i assume you mean cutting the cats off? usually straight pipe refers to not having mufflers so i think i know what you mean but i wanna be sure.

as for the setup you picked it'll sound fine...it's your basic v6 setup alot go with so we know it's tried and true...
yes cutting the cats off and replacing it with regular exhaust piping
Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

so you dont have a mid pipe right?

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

yes cutting the cats off and replacing it with regular exhaust piping
Yes u don't hav to hav a mid pipe thats how u save money and it's louder then the midpipes. But if u don't get the different piping size u will have bad acceleration.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes u don't hav to hav a mid pipe thats how u save money and it's louder then the midpipes. But if u don't get the different piping size u will have bad acceleration.
so what size piping should i go with?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

so what size piping should i go with?
If ur doing h pipe I would go 2.25 or 2.5 either one works
Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The only thing it might hurt is your engines torque, It should make up for it in some more HP though I think.
OH the environment, If you don't have your cats on it pollutes the environment more.
Most people who want there cars to be faster don't care and just take them off.
I'd just take them off and leave them off.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95
The only thing it might hurt is your engines torque, It should make up for it in some more HP though I think.
OH the environment, If you don't have your cats on it pollutes the environment more.
Most people who want there cars to be faster don't care and just take them off.
I'd just take them off and leave them off.
Doubt he would lose any torque. If anything he would gain some due to free flowing
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I want to say the v6 piping is 2.25" inches. If thats the case I would run that to the mid pipe and 2.5" to the tips. That would give you a stepped "kinda" effect. You could go 2.25 to the mid pipe, 2.5 to the mufflers, and 3" out the back, but I doubt the car will breath enough for that to take great effect. With too big of piping you will lack velocity and the exhaust can start to stack up. Smaller piping will give better torque, but will suffer on the top end, too big of piping and your bottom end will suffer; again this is relative to the car.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
Doubt he would lose any torque. If anything he would gain some due to free flowing
he'd lose a bit of low end torque...well not really lose. it shifts to the top end

Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Hey guys just saw this for sale on my local craigslist:

99 04 Mustang GT Cobra Exhaust Tail Pipes flow master Mufflers

Would this be something that I could have installed on my 02 V6? If it would work would be cheap to get installed and the extra tubing for divorced or h pipe to go with it?
brooksyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksyx
Hey guys just saw this for sale on my local craigslist:

99 04 Mustang GT Cobra Exhaust Tail Pipes flow master Mufflers

Would this be something that I could have installed on my 02 V6? If it would work would be cheap to get installed and the extra tubing for divorced or h pipe to go with it?
All you would need is a hanger set and an off road H or X pipe or a stock GT H pipe
Old 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

That's not a bad deal, you already getting the muggers piping and tips. Offer him like 70 bucks
Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Guy is also selling cats and h pipe. Could buy that to and sell the cats. Make some money back..

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/3419718040.html

Or would a fabbed h pipe be better?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

the muffler & tips is a great deal...i'd grab that...offer a bit less but $100 is fine if he won't budge...don't get the midpipe though. you don't need the cats...so no need to pay for them. just either run divorced or have the shop fab an h pipe

Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
the muffler & tips is a great deal...i'd grab that...offer a bit less but $100 is fine if he won't budge...don't get the midpipe though. you don't need the cats...so no need to pay for them. just either run divorced or have the shop fab an h pipe
Alright, thanks!

I think I am going to hit him up tomorrow and offer him $80 for the mufflers and tips. Figure I can just buy them now and wait a month or two to save up some cash to get them installed. I got money, but just not trying to dump everything into my car haha.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

sounds good...might i reccomend you buy a can of rust tough or other rust resistant spray paint and give the entire thing a coat...wouldn't hurt to have some protection added to it since it has seen better days....just mask off the tips to keep them shiny...

i would say if i took that setup there to my local exhaust shop they'd charge around $50 to cut off the old exhaust and weld up some flotubes to make that fit as a divorced setup..granted my shop is always cheaper i've found then most places but i wouldn't expect to pay alot for that to be installed...very nice find indeed

Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Just texted the guy, hopefully I hear back soon. Anything I should look for on the exhaust before I make the purchase?

Dang, $50 ain't bad at all. I can swing that. I think I want to go divorced anyways. Seems like H pipe offers no gains on a v6. I wonder if they could recycle any of the tubing off my stock exhaust into my new setup? I have no plans to keep it and I don't care how pretty it looks underneath.

Edit: He agreed to $80! Should be going to meet him tonight. I think he just lives like a mile or two away. Will let you guys know if I get it.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

did you get it? and when i said $50 that's my local shop. you'll need to ask your shop their cost

Old 11-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
did you get it? and when i said $50 that's my local shop. you'll need to ask your shop their cost
Yeah I know. Even if its $100 I'd be happy.
No I didn't have time to meet the guy tonight and he is out of town until Monday. Plan on meeting him Tuesday night, which probably works out better because I'll get paid by then.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Might have to hold off on the exhaust. Had to buy a new alternator tonight, old one wasnt putting out enough juice. Was only $120 with turning in my old one but that still digs into my extra funds.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksyx
Might have to hold off on the exhaust. Had to buy a new alternator tonight, old one wasnt putting out enough juice. Was only $120 with turning in my old one but that still digs into my extra funds.
Hey well just work hard and save up and then u can get it all back. **** happens.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hey well just work hard and save up and then u can get it all back. **** happens.
Yeah that's just life. Rather have a running car than a dead car with an upgraded exhaust haha
Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Gutting your cats allows for a greater air flow. But at the same time, having a greater air flow on a v6 isnt necessarily the best. If you have too little, you will lose horsepower but if you have too much you will lose torque. I believe that 2" or 2.25" dual piping will be perfect. I dont know if you have any major power adders but if you are pushing a large amount of power then 2.5" duals. If you want a deeper and hollower sound but dont care about power then larger diameter will suffice the sound need.
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict View Post
Gutting your cats allows for a greater air flow. But at the same time, having a greater air flow on a v6 isnt necessarily the best. If you have too little, you will lose horsepower but if you have too much you will lose torque. I believe that 2" or 2.25" dual piping will be perfect. I dont know if you have any major power adders but if you are pushing a large amount of power then 2.5" duals. If you want a deeper and hollower sound but dont care about power then larger diameter will suffice the sound need.
i can say from personal experience that this is not necessarily true. I've noticed difference in torque from having divorced duals and no cats with 2 1/2 inch piping.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict View Post
You won't lose torque by cutting your cats off. You will gain torque. I have never heard of anyone on the planet losing torque with a freer flowing exhaust system. Magna flow has a chart on their website recommending what size piping for what size motor you have.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post

You won't lose torque by cutting your cats off. You will gain torque. I have never heard of anyone on the planet losing torque with a freer flowing exhaust system. Magna flow has a chart on their website recommending what size piping for what size motor you have.
What i was trying to say is that having too much flow exceeding the power your motor is making will not be beneficial.
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

From experience, after gutting my front cats, my car is certainly less torquey than before the removal. I used to be able to chirp first and second, and now im only barely doing so

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust