Suspension Horror - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29
Suspension Horror

My suspension is all messed up. It dips forward big time when braking and squeeks and when I'm back out of a tight parking lot and turn the wheel it pops loudly. I don't know what it is..help. I've also noticed that my front driver wheel rubs on the sway bar. The driver wheel isn't centered in between the fender well instead it's favors the rear fender towards the back of the car. This is a diagram I hope it helps visualize the offset of the wheel favoring the back of the car.

Front of Car---( 0 )----------( 0 )----Back of Car
View from driver side.

I know an alignment will help but I want to completely correct the problem prior to installing a suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Suspension Horror

My front wheels are offset to the rear slightly as well... I haven't noticed any rubbing issues however. Then again...I've driven the car 9 miles in a week so what do I know...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #3

Region: California

Off the top of my head, I would say check the strut rod, lower control arm, and upper strut/shock mount. I'm not too familiar with the mustang front end, but it's usually a three-point mount with the lower control arm and upper mount forming the support and the strut rod moving the wheel where it belongs fore/aft in the wheelbase.

Older cars with upper and lower A-Frames would shed bushings and do much the same thing, but I didn't think Mustangs used that setup.
jlhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What should I look for on the strut rod or a-arm. I had a body shop go through it and they couldn't find the part that was bent. They did tell me that the sway bar rubbed with wheel and it was noticeable and obvious. They didn't really help and referred me to a friend. Anyone know what could be wrong?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #5

Region: California

This is kinda a dumb question, but do you know that your wheel bearings are good? I broke some once and the caliper scraped on the rotor afterward.

With reference to the shop you visited, I'd find another shop. That was less than helpful. Tires aren't supposed to rub the strut rod, so I'd suspect that something isn't right. If they can't find it fairly easily, they should maybe go into food services or something benign.
jlhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

mega howd u do this?
dennyray04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Is the front sway bar factory? Steeda's and probably others are all made for GT's and will rub on 6 because of our tighter turn radius. They sell a limiter kit to stop this.
It sound to me like a bent bar. It could do this and is really hard to see because of the factory bends in it. If you can find another 6cyl Stang to put beside it and compare the two you might see it without removal.
Has the car ever been wrecked? Even a hard curb hit on that side?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes the way this ever started was I wrecked my car going about 35 mph into a metal w-railing on a long road. The point of impact was from the end of the front driver side headlight to the high point midway of the front driver side tire well...diagonally. I'm planning on taking it to another mechanic soon to install the tokico suspension kit: 4-set of springs with matching shocks and struts (blue type). I'm going to point it out to the mechanic that I'm having a problem with some of my suspension components..the offset of the wheels alignment, the accident and the rubbing on sway bar. I'll keep posted. I'm also installing offset steering rack bushings to correct some of the alignment...does anyone think it'll be enough or will I need cc plates?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

this is kind of off topic but does anyone know about demon coils?
corkwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megax29 View Post
Yes the way this ever started was I wrecked my car going about 35 mph into a metal w-railing on a long road. The point of impact was from the end of the front driver side headlight to the high point midway of the front driver side tire well...diagonally. I'm planning on taking it to another mechanic soon to install the tokico suspension kit: 4-set of springs with matching shocks and struts (blue type). I'm going to point it out to the mechanic that I'm having a problem with some of my suspension components..the offset of the wheels alignment, the accident and the rubbing on sway bar. I'll keep posted. I'm also installing offset steering rack bushings to correct some of the alignment...does anyone think it'll be enough or will I need cc plates?
The offset bushing won't help the alignment that I have ever heard. They are meant for bumpsteer correction. I would put them in anyways as they won't hurt.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I meant bumpsteer...alignment of the a arm with the k member I think...keeping them parallel and all. What else should I put in? Is there any chance of something big being messed up on my car from that wheel offset? What other bushings or anything else I should add at the same time...do I need the cc plates?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well if you are going all out for road racing and your unibody frame is straight, you might consider a K-member swap. By the time someone finds the bend in your A-arms, sway Kmem, ect and then straightens/ replaces them you night even save some money. Just a thought.
Yes though, I would add C/C plates as well.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Not really going all out. Are a arms included in a complete k member?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megax29 View Post
Not really going all out. Are a arms included in a complete k member?
With a kit you can usually get the coil overs, A-arms, and K-member. Some will add the C/C's too. Of course, price goes up with name brand and quality, but they are all lighter- sometimes on the order of 50#- and most are quite a bit stiffer than the factory piece.
Here are a couple for you to glance at
eBay Motors: FORD MUSTANG TUBULAR K-MEMBER SUSPENSION KIT @ $549.99 (item 350064448988 end time Jun-06-08 10:22:11 PDT)
eBay Motors: 79-04 Mustang K Member Kit Front Suspension QA1 (item 350063880520 end time Jun-01-08 15:30:38 PDT)
eBay Motors: Ford Mustang Tubular K Member Front Suspension Full Kit (item 260243453671 end time Jun-01-08 19:13:13 PDT)

Now if you go this route aim for stiffer springs than what I see in these. I like about a 375-425 front (really stiff for our vehicle weight and balance, but suited to my style) and a 175-225 rear. Drag springs bottom out on the road, and don't give the best in handling. There are more advantages to doing this than I can name. Weight, ability to tune, and on and on. But it is also some serious work to put in in a home garage. Let me know if you need more info.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

Hey, back to the original reason for the post. It sounds to me like you have a junk lower ball joint. That would cause the squealing sound when turning and would mess up the camber, possibly to the point where the tire might contact the sway bar. You can't align the car if it has broken front suspension parts. Any alignment shop worth anything should be able to diagnose it better, since they'll be able to actually see the car.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang