What should i do next? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
What should i do next?

I have a 2003 v6 completely stock and want more power. What's the way to go?
Zweissk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

FI, turbo sc, or nos. or sell and get a v8
Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
CAI and Exhaust would be a good place to start and shouldnt brake the bank.

I have a CAI on the way and will be looking at getting a dual catback exhaust in the next couple months.
brooksyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
don't waste your time with bolt ons that's for sure if you're wanting power from a 3.8/3.9....my rule of thumb is to buy a nice exhaust and then start saving...enjoy the nice sound as you do. during that saving period you can really decide what you want from the car and from that what to do....or you may decide hey i've saved up X amount of cash...i could upgrade to something different. Always good to have options

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Would you guys recommend the Mac dual exhaust conversion from AM?
Zweissk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweissk8
Is that the one that hooks up to the y pipe? If so I highly doubt you will get the desired sound or hardly any performance increase. Sounds like the best option is just to call a couple different muffler shops in your area and see what it will cost to fabricate and install either a divorced, X, or H pipe setup. Should be around the same price, if not cheaper.
brooksyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweissk8 View Post
i'd just get some quotes from different exhaust shops....ask what the average cost on a true dual exhaust if you provide the mufflers, and the cost if they provide the mufflers (if thats the case what mufflers do they have). the more shops you call the better...once you find your perfect muffler shop you'll never go elsewhere lol.

the only reason i don't push pre-made v6 exhausts is due to the fact they are y pip setups....to me that's no bueno because you just don't get the same sound

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Have you looked into tuners? http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-cus...er-9904v6.html A good tune should wake up your engine a little and squeeze out some extra power and better throttle response. If you have an automatic transmission, they'll firm up the shifts even more and make the transmission more responsive. To top it off, all you have to do us plug it into your cars computer to change the tune. If you ever do other mods, like exhaust, intake, or gears, you can get a new tune any time to maximize the mods. Btw all I have right now is a K&N intake and a divorced catback exhaust. Bolt ons will give you a little power gain but nothing huge. Instead of y pipe bolt on exhaust, you can always get the y pipe on your car cut off (stock catalytic converters still on) and then weld a catback on so then your exhaust will run from the catalytic converters and straight through to the mufflers with no crossover. That might save you some money from having to swap out mid pipes, unless you want to just get an entire exhaust system. With a less restrictive exhaust you might gain a little power up in the higher revs, perhaps peak gains of 5-10 hp? I wish I could take a look at some dyno charts for some exhaust swaps but I haven't come across any. I did find that K&N had one for the intake that I have. On a stock 2001 V6 it gave peak gains of about 7hp and 7ft/lbs of torque at 4820rpm. The hp gains were at the top end of the rev range but the torque gains could be seen throughout the range. You can also do a rear axle gear swap for some faster acceleration. Look up 3.73s and 4.10s, AM has them too. Can't go wrong with a tune though.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

start from the bottom. get a 4.2 stroker. Then make your intake and exhaust flow better.
which can be done cheaply. You can remove your intake silencer which is suppose to make it run alot better. Then get a better muffler or straight-pipe it(doesn't sound the best but it's loud and very cheap cost me $40)
I noticed a big difference when I dropped a rebuildt 4.2 in my stang. thats with the singleport intake.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweissk8 View Post
I have a 2003 v6 completely stock and want more power. What's the way to go?
I have the Mac dual exhaust from AM it sounds pretty damn good for what it is. I like it, here's a video of mine:
V6in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Divorced on limited budget, H if u hav money or if ur bringing in the bills pro chamber.
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSixxer26 View Post
Divorced on limited budget, H if u hav money or if ur bringing in the bills pro chamber.
+1
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Here's an article from the site to give you an idea of what's available for your six.

V6 Mustang Modification Guide - Mustang Evolution

As slosix said, the best and most noticeable gains come from FI or engine building, which takes some coin. Obviously bolt ons net you some gains, but nothing that's going to impress you.

It is important to consider whether the v6 is right the car to own...if you want a decent stock platform and that badass sound, the v8 option may be the way to go before you start spending money.

I have exhaust, CAI, and a tuner for my v6...with those mods it's not fast by any means but definitely better than bone stock. But that's all I'm willing to go with the car. I've stopped modding and am saving for a v8 car to play with.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Just throw money at it, worked for me!

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

« Low fuel | How much »