Pypes Cat-Back System - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
Pypes Cat-Back System

I have an 04 Mustang with the original stock muffler. I'm not trying to pimp this pony out, the goal is to have a more macho sound than OEM. I also don't want to wake my neighbors up when my son drives the car home at 1 in the morning, a low GT rumble will do just fine. Does anyone have the 2.5" Pypes stainless Y pipe catback system and what do you think of the sound it produces? I actually have the 3.9 liter V6 engine and the Pypes tech tell me that the system designed for the 3.8 liter engine will work fine.
04 Pony Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Pypes Cat-Back System

I have the exact system on my 03. It is the y-pipe catback with the street pro mufflers and 3'' polished tips. Many people have mixed opinions on Pypes exhaust and their sounds, but i actually have the system and think its a great system.
I got it for my stang when i was 16, it was inexpensive and simple.
The sound is great for the v6, but isn't outrageous. The rumble is suprisingly good, guys with cobras have complimented me on it. The sound is really good inside the car, but won't annoy anyone outside. I would recommend it for your son, as it is a great initial system for the car. He can always modifiy it further if he wants to.
Hope this helps and good luck.
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Just to throw it out there...me and my dad both have pypes catted x-pipes on our GT's, different mufflers, and engines (5.0 and 4.6) and both sound really good....if you ever want to go duals i would recommend it, especially because it has great ground clearance...we're both lowered and have no issues with scraping it.
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 02:30 AM   #4

Region: Nevada

I just put Pypes True-Dual System w/ Street-legal X-pipe 05-07 Ford Mustang 4.0L V6 PYPES EXHAUST "69" series Stainless Steel MID-MUFFLER Cat-Back 100% Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust System on my 06 and the clearance (drop1.7 front and 2.0 back. eibach springs, struts and swaybars with all bushings) sucks but the sound is great, not load at all unless you get after it. also sound almost as if my rear axel is hitting pipes when i hit bumbs, not at high speeds of course
Old 05-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #5

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to SilverBulit

i have the 2004 3.9 v6 as well and i got the pypes system put on... and it sucks. that is why i am going to get a catless x-pipe up in to give it the deeper sound. i did get the proformance out of it that i wanted but the sounds sucks! and it required some extra work to be done on it. we needed to cut the y pipe in order to make it fit. i recomend against getting it. you should see you local mechanics and they should be able to custom build you a cat-back that will be in the range of $300 plus the mufflers which i reconmed SLP loud-mouth mufflers. best sound and perfect back preasure.
SilverBulit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

The street pro mufflers aren't made to give a deep sound like borlas, they're more like a race note. If you want a deeper tone from pypes, get the violaters. And silverbulit, an x-pipe won't give you a deeper sound, it will make the 6 sound more ricey if anything, let alone a catless pipe. I've heard loud-mouths on both body styles with the 3.8 and 4.0, and they sound like ****, simply because they're for a v8 car.
I've heard of fitment issues with pypes, but i didn't have any trouble, maybe i was just lucky.
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

If you have a 99-04 pypes is probably not the best sound choice, if you have an 05+ the pypes mid muffler system is probably the best out. [i'm talking about v6's, since thats the section we're in]
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang