Mods Questions! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Mods Questions!

I have like about 500 to spend and I don't know what to get. I was thinking either SCT xcal and tune, or some t lock and gear. Which would give me better performance on V6 01 auto, and be more reliable? Also if you recommend t lock and gears can you direct me to some decent setups (leave some links or adds)....I am not too familiar with those!
SerbStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Mods Questions!

gears will give you more bang for the buck, but can be expensive to install (and even more expensive to not get installed right)

I would probably go with ford racing 4.10s and a Tlok unit (the oem tlok unit from ford for the 7.5) Dont go used. Buy new parts. You can go with 3.73s but the auto with 4.10s helps to even out the lack of gearing it has compared to the manual. You will lose gas mileage in the city (about 2 mpg). You should see about .3 tenths off your times.

The 7.5 inch ford rear end's weak link is the spider gears in the 7.5 inch tlok unit. If you plan to take it to the track I would upgrade to the Auburn or some other 7.5 inch positive traction setup~ instead of the OEM ford Tlok unit.

If you just plan on street driving it wont be a big deal as the 7.5 setup is strong, its just a little extra insurance while you are installing stuff~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
gears will give you more bang for the buck, but can be expensive to install (and even more expensive to not get installed right)

I would probably go with ford racing 4.10s and a Tlok unit (the oem tlok unit from ford for the 7.5) Dont go used. Buy new parts. You can go with 3.73s but the auto with 4.10s helps to even out the lack of gearing it has compared to the manual. You will lose gas mileage in the city (about 2 mpg). You should see about .3 tenths off your times.

The 7.5 inch ford rear end's weak link is the spider gears in the 7.5 inch tlok unit. If you plan to take it to the track I would upgrade to the Auburn or some other 7.5 inch positive traction setup~ instead of the OEM ford Tlok unit.

If you just plan on street driving it wont be a big deal as the 7.5 setup is strong, its just a little extra insurance while you are installing stuff~
I don't know where (probably some of the forums) but I heard that SCT tuning would give better performance....like I said I don't know. Anyways thanks for the answer, very helpful. However, I think I'll go with SCT for now, because in a month or so (after I return from Europe) I'm getting my Vortech installed, and tuner is needed more than gears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

SCT would give much better actual performance changes, and the 4.10's would give you much better "Seat of the pants" performance changes. However, one thing to note is, without a tuner your speedo is going to be off a good bit without a correction in the tune. 3.27 to 4.10 is a good sized jump.

As for getting Ford racing gears, you will have to search for them. Ford stopped making them for the 7.5's so the only ones out there are leftover stock or used ones. I'm sure there are some places that still have stock, but that list of places is going to shrink over time. They aren't the only gears out there tho.

Anyhow, my recommendation is to get a tuner and a tune. It may not feel like as big of a change as the 4.10s, but, you will get much more improved shift points and better timing/fuel curves so the car will actually be quicker than if you just get the 4.10's alone.

And, you'll already have it for more mods later and won't have to figure out how to come up with the $400 for a tuner to get a custom tune.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29

I'm in the same position SerbStang is and I think will go with the tuner after reading this post. Anyone have any suggestions for which one to go with...SCTxcal...diablo tuner...superchips...granatelli what are pros cons and overall choice?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I'm pretty partial to SCT. The ease of use and data logging features are much better than the predator. The others are just wanna be's.

The predator has the same data logging abilities, but when I had mine you could only select a few items from a group and could not select items from more than one group. So, you had to do more than 1 sample to get all of the items you wanted to check. The SCT, you can select many items from any possible group and it will show up real time on your laptop with just a USB cable. The predator used a serial cable...hello 1980's.

Justin @ VMP Tuning is a great source for these...not only for his prices, but also his tuning abilities. VMP Tuning Inc
Old 06-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If I'm transmitting live information from my car to the laptop via a usb, what else am I able to do while my laptop is connected to my car? Can I send info from laptop to car...what can you do?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I'm pretty partial to SCT. The ease of use and data logging features are much better than the predator. The others are just wanna be's.

The predator has the same data logging abilities, but when I had mine you could only select a few items from a group and could not select items from more than one group. So, you had to do more than 1 sample to get all of the items you wanted to check. The SCT, you can select many items from any possible group and it will show up real time on your laptop with just a USB cable. The predator used a serial cable...hello 1980's.

Justin @ VMP Tuning is a great source for these...not only for his prices, but also his tuning abilities. VMP Tuning Inc

what's up with your quote?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megax29 View Post
what's up with your quote?
A statement of fact.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So factual uh...keep reading.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ok you brought the old post back! Anyways, I got FRPP t loc and 4.10 for now. And I can really feel better performance. However, I need it tuned desperately, cause the speedometer shows diferent speed when I'm driving. It also limits your max speed which sux, I dont know if SCT can fix that...for a speed difference I'm sure it can!

One more thing: I just painted my calipers today and it looks sweet...another 5HP...lol!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calipers.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	19410  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang