3.8 2003 mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #1

Region: Florida
3.8 2003 mustang

Got a 3.8 supercharger from a thunderbird heads and intake. Looking to install on my stang. Any help and or pointers would be great and a break down of parts would also be helpful. Oh and it's a m90 supercharger. Anyone that has done this swap please help.
Mollett1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Parts List to swap the blower on your N/A 94-98 V6:
-Eaton M90 blower (off of a 89-95 Thunderbird Super Coupe)
-Super Coupe Blower top (often refered to as a "blower hat")
-Super Coupe Lower Intake Manifold
-Super Coupe Inlet Plenum (connects the throttle body to the blower)
-Super Coupe Air Intake Tube (you'll use this to connect your 94-95 Mustang GT throttle body to your stock V6 Mustang MAF)
-94-95 Mustang GT throttle body (Super Coupe throttle body WILL NOT work with the Mustang throttle cables!!!)
-Super Coupe Upper Intake Manifold (connects the lower intercooler tube to the lower intake manifold)
-Super Coupe Thermostat Housing
-Super Coupe Jackshaft Pulley Bracket (accessories bracket that mounts on passenger side head)
-Super Coupe Power Steering Pump Bracket (accessories bracket that mounts on the drivers side head)
-Super Coupe Crank Pulley
-Super Coupe Water Pump
-Super Coupe tensioner pulleys (for accessories belt, jackshaft belt, and blower belt)
-Super Coupe Injectors (89-93 Super Coupes had 30lb/hr injectors, 94-95 Super Coupes had 36lb/hr injectors)
-Super Coupe Fuel Rail
-Super Coupe throttle cable bracket (you will have to use the base of the Super Coupe bracket and weld it to the end of the Mustang bracket)
-94-95 Timing Chain Cover (if you have a 96-98, you'll need either a 94-95 Mustang OR a 94-95 Super Coupe timing chain cover)
-Super Coupe Intercooler
-Super Coupe Valve Covers
-Super Coupe coil pack bracket (will probably be already attached to your Power Steering Pump Bracket)
-Super Coupe Throttle Position Sensor
-Super Coupe Throttle Position Sensor Pigtail (needs to be soldered into your mustang wiring harness)
-Super Coupe Intake Air Temp Sensor
-Super Coupe Intake Air Temp Sensor Pigtail (needs to be soldered into your mustang wiring harness)
AND DONT FORGET TO...
-Replace the Super Coupe water temp sensor with the Mustang water temp sensor (this way you can use as much of the Mustang wiring harness as possible)
-Bend the brake line (the one that is the closest to the front of the car, the one that is closest to the firewall will clear just fine) that comes out of the master cylinder towards the rear of the car to make room for the lower intercooler tube.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the info this will be my first project and hopefully not my last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #4

I forgot to ask but does this all apply to a 2003 3.8?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

No...in fact wouldnt put an m90 on a split port sixxer....if you want a roots style get an m112...because for an m90 youll need to downgrade to a single port.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
No...in fact wouldnt put an m90 on a split port sixxer....if you want a roots style get an m112...because for an m90 youll need to downgrade to a single port.
I'd rather M90, a lot more potential since its intercooled, you may down grade to single ports but they are a hell of a single port head, it's exhaust port is already almost the size of my ported splitports, just need intake work and maybe a little cleaning on the exhaust side

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

what's the most seen out of an m90 so far on a single port? so far i've seen well over 400 on a non-intercooled m112 on a split port...don't we have a couple sn95's on here with an m90 swap

Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
what's the most seen out of an m90 so far on a single port? so far i've seen well over 400 on a non-intercooled m112 on a split port...don't we have a couple sn95's on here with an m90 swap
Yes there are a couple here, one has motor work with a small cam, made 320/360 I believe it was, but I know the fastest supercharged car running low 10's is a supercoupe swapped mustang

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
it can be done, takes tons of parts, tons of time, tons of hassle, and the end result is meh performance.

Consider a single turbo or perhaps an M112 adaptor and M112 root supercharger~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #10

Region: Texas
You can easily achieve great results with a supercoupe swap I own both a 92 supercoupe and a 98 that I swapped to a m90superstang which im re working on it

As the hp wont increase much
Late model supercoupes 94/95 were rated at 230hp and 315tq 89-93 were at 210 hp 305tq
The torque is so much fun on a mustang because its a 600lb lighter car

U will be better off having the complete engine it will make ur life easier

I got a complete supercouoe for 400 bucks

It not super easy but its not too hard either
I run mid 13s with my full weight supercoupe
4200lbs

U can run a custom front mount intercooler for about 275
That will increase u a good 30-35hp depending on what other mods u may do

Porting the blower might not increase much hp but at the track u will see a little more than half a second difference

Using ur 94-98 headers will be a great improvement over stock sc manifolds a free flowing exhaust is key to maintain the gaskets from failure

If ur gonna have everything out already throw in a mild cam maybe a .493-520 lift if u go past 520 u have to machine the seats to accept springs

Oversized valves on the heads can get u 25hp on these m90 engine

Get a mild port and polish job depending on what ur goals are

Port the plenums lower intake u will have to modify the bracket on throttle body because the cable is a little diff
I suggest a 75mm-85mm depending on how crazy u go on the build

Definitely upgrade injectors
89-93 had 30lbs
94/95 had 36s

I maxed 42s at about 350 I was running them at 90% dutty cycle so I went bigger

Try to keep ur mustang computer if its the obd2 easier to tune
Ull need some splicing on the ac if u want it to keep working
If u dont need ac get an ac delete pulley
Less weight and sone gains there

Throw some arp headstuds
Chevy 2.8 are perfect and cheaper

Grab some underdrive pulleys and
Anywhere from 5-15% overdrive max

I say grab a 10% jackshaft pulley and a 5 blower pulley get thw shorter belts to avoid slippage this of course with upgraded front mount

Run the mustang radiator as its bigger than the supercoupes

U can easily see 12s in a mustang with the m90 set up and bolt ons
mid-high 13s with a mainly stock set up

I did without much , what I listed should get u in the mid to high 11s
Theres a supercoupe running 10.17s NO nitrous
Still way heavier than a mustang

Its also really fun I love my m90 mustang and supercoupe
miguel5671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #11

Region: Texas
That is of course u must have a tranny and a rear end that will take the abuse ive trashed my aod twice on the supercoupe broken an input shaft

The 4r70w on the mustang was good however if u do this dont go past 3.55 gears at the mkst 3.73 would be max u will spin like crazy no traction whatsoever I had 275s et streets and still would spin sometimes under part throttle because of the massive torque at low rpms

The wide ratios on the 4r70w are nice but with a 3.73, 3.90, 4.10
You will run through 1st and 2nd way too quick

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

1slosix
Go over to the sccoa and check some rides mine are very mild but some of these guys are putting down over 450rwhp on the m90 set ups the blocks seem to hold very good
I feel 03/04 3.8 blocks are the best and right beside them is the supercouoe block I haven't seen one fail yet
miguel5671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
2003 mustang