Which sensor is this and how should it be wired? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #1

Region: California
Which sensor is this and how should it be wired?

Hello Stang folks. I bought my 1998 Mustang 3.8l earlier this year, and well, lets say I was big eyed and didn't see anything major.... now I'm seeing how many little projects there are! Lets start with this one.

I have no idea whether it happened recently because I didn't notice it before, but I noticed this sensor the other day and from what I can gather its either the Coolant Temperature Sensor or Air Charge Sensor, but it only has one pin in it.

The car seems to be running fine, no real noticable idle problems or anything, but I'm sure it needs a second wire attached right? Does anyone know what it is, and how I should wire it back to specs? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-05 15.05.03.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	79524  
Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That is for coolant, if I were you I'd follow the wire back as far as I can, if there is another wire in that Sleeve that got cut somehow, I'd just buy the new sensor n install it, but if there's no other wire I say leave it, does the temp gauge on your dash work?
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #3

Region: California
Thank you so much Surffer, I really appreciate your help!!

The temp gauge always has read right in the middle. I will look more carefully and make sure it is coming up to temp correctly. I will check it out at lunch and let you know, but I do know that the wire that you see connected to the sensor, has a bared spot just inside of that sheathing. Must have come into contact with the engine at some point.
Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I got a 95 with the same engine. Its a one wire plug.. Nothing missing. Runs your temp gauge.
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
it's possible that it truely is a one wire plug...however the previous owner may have had a faulty harness so he rigged a harness from another car onto his. pull the harness off and look at the sensor...if it's a one pin then you're golden

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

« Hood pins | A/C »