Exhaust questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
Exhaust questions

Ok so this is my first post. I'm not much of a car expert, so I need some help. I have a 2001 V6. I'm getting something done to my exhaust, but I'm not sure what. I need a new muffler, and was quoted $150 for a flow master or magnaflow. He also gave me the option of going dual (with 2 new mufflers) for $450-$500. My question is, is dual worth the extra money? Also, feel free to give opinions on magnaflow and flowmaster, as I really haven't made my mind up on that yet, either. Thanks!
Bhuntz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Go with flowmaster. I think Magnaflow sounds a little weird on are V6's.
If you have the money go with dual exhaust. Don't get an X-pipe as the mid-pipe, it sounds ricey. If you don't have emissions testing where your at you should also tell them to cut your cats off.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Yes you should go with duals, it sounds so much better. Go with either a prochamber or H pipe, magnaflow is generally a deep muffler... To really know what you want the best thing to do is watch as many YouTube videos as you can, and then more.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
If you have the money go with dual exhaust. Don't get an X-pipe as the mid-pipe, it sounds ricey. If you don't have emissions testing where your at you should also tell them to cut your cats off.
You are saying not to get an x pipe, but instead cut off his cats? That will give the ricey sound also... these v6 engines though don't sound too ricey, they surprisingly sound good with a more straight through exhaust, its the 4.0s that sound ricey with too little muffling.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhuntz32 View Post
Ok so this is my first post. I'm not much of a car expert, so I need some help. I have a 2001 V6. I'm getting something done to my exhaust, but I'm not sure what. I need a new muffler, and was quoted $150 for a flow master or magnaflow. He also gave me the option of going dual (with 2 new mufflers) for $450-$500. My question is, is dual worth the extra money? Also, feel free to give opinions on magnaflow and flowmaster, as I really haven't made my mind up on that yet, either. Thanks!
Go dual flowmasters. Flowmasters are much deeper and louder than magnaflow but magnaflows are made of stainless steel. For $450-500 that's a good deal. Don't put just a muffler on. You will barely notice a difference. I know because I did the same thing. If you want loud, cut the rear cats off. Those silence or exhausts like crazy.
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhuntz32
Go flow 40's and mid pipes can cost alot sometimes. But u could always go divorced which means theirs no mid pipe it's just the headers to the cats (optional) to the mufflers and out the back. That's what I hav and I love it.
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSixxer26 View Post

Go flow 40's and mid pipes can cost alot sometimes. But u could always go divorced which means theirs no mid pipe it's just the headers to the cats (optional) to the mufflers and out the back. That's what I hav and I love it.
same setup with no cats. love it too.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95
X pipe sounding dicey is not true if you go with super 44s. It gives it better flow and a deeper sound. And when you cut the cats out. It sounds perfect. Specially if you throw some headers on.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

I have pacesetter shorty headers, to X-pipe to

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Sorry accidently hit send. I have pacesetter shorty headers to X-pipe, to super 44's dumped before axle. And I love how my stang sounds. But it all depends on what you like. I would look at bids on YouTube and just listen to a bunch of different setups and decide for yourself which one you like the best.
Mr_Trigger3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

These guys are right. H pipe either buy one or let them fab one up, and flow 40's sound good on the 6
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #9

Region: Pennsylvania
Well the guy said the converters are fine and everything else looks good. Just the mufflers bad. I think I know what you guys are talking about though. After the converters the pipes come together and go into one pipe to the muffler. He said he would go after where they come together (I think) and run duals off of there. I know that from converters back is at least staying, since I'm on a budget and it can't get much over $500.
Bhuntz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Me and my bud have 3.8s dual flowmaster 44s I have a x and he has a H.the X actually sounds a better. Imo
T_O_IVI__IVI_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I have flow tens that I'm getting put on with an h-pipe I got it priced at 250 just outta curiosity would the shop take some money off for having the piping from the mufflers back.. I know a guy selling the piping with the Bend in it that goes over the axle I think for 30 tips and all
98mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_O_IVI__IVI_Y View Post
Me and my bud have 3.8s dual flowmaster 44s I have a x and he has a H.the X actually sounds a better. Imo
do either one of you guys have your cats off?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Nope, we still have stock cats. Trying to decide if I want em off.
T_O_IVI__IVI_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If you have good mufflers I think it will sound good.
You might have to get a better cam.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_O_IVI__IVI_Y View Post
Nope, we still have stock cats. Trying to decide if I want em off.
two words, do it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust