Cutting springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Cutting springs

Would it be bad to cut my v6's springs to make the car lower? And how much could I go?
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Cutting creates a looser and floatier ride but will lower the car. I cant remember specs on how to cut but if you search the forum there is plenty on this subject.
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict View Post
Cutting creates a looser and floatier ride but will lower the car. I cant remember specs on how to cut but if you search the forum there is plenty on this subject.
Alright thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

How far do you want to lower it? I know alot of knowledge on the subject but just cant remember coil cuts because I used eibach sportlines from a show cobra. If you have any questions on what you may need or if you need help just post back here or feel free to pm me.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
i love cutting the stock springs..great weight transfer and always a good stance

my personal favorite cut is 1.25 coils off the front and 1 coil off the back...it's about a 1" -1.25" drop overall...pull the Isolators to get another 1/4" drop if you want. use a angle grinder with either a metal or bi-metal cutting wheel btw for best cut results...never use a torch or heat the springs

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
i love cutting the stock springs..great weight transfer and always a good stance

my personal favorite cut is 1.25 coils off the front and 1 coil off the back...it's about a 1" -1.25" drop overall...pull the Isolators to get another 1/4" drop if you want. use a angle grinder with either a metal or bi-metal cutting wheel btw for best cut results...never use a torch or heat the springs
I know that the isolators are used to prevent the metal to metal contact, so do you replace them with anything? Wrap the ends of the coils in duct tape or something lol?

What if I cut them in my caddy cts? Haha
Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i just put them in with no wrap...i have used electrical tape in the past to give some kind of barrier but honestly they don't make any real noise metal on metal. only when going over a speed bump you'll sometimes hear it shift lol.

and i have no clue..i'd hit up a caddy forum for that

Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

i just put them in with no wrap...i have used electrical tape in the past to give some kind of barrier but honestly they don't make any real noise metal on metal. only when going over a speed bump you'll sometimes hear it shift lol.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict View Post
How far do you want to lower it? I know alot of knowledge on the subject but just cant remember coil cuts because I used eibach sportlines from a show cobra. If you have any questions on what you may need or if you need help just post back here or feel free to pm me.
Thanks man I will! I'm just looking for something that won't really cost me much to do..

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Quote:

Thanks ill probably do that!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Have you been on a caddy forum? Its a bunch of rich kids who can toss around a couple grand like nothing. They had a group buy on forgestar f14 wheels that they needed like 20 for and they got like 60! Each set was $1800. As for springs, they swear coilovers are the only way to go other than hotchkis springs. Coilovers are $1200-2000 lol...
Old 12-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

np...about 2 weeks after you cut them make sure to have it aligned...i say 2 weeks because your springs will shift and settle..and getting it aligned right off the bat will be pointless...your tires will not be destroyed in that time period for being just under a 1.5" drop.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
np...about 2 weeks after you cut them make sure to have it aligned...i say 2 weeks because your springs will shift and settle..and getting it aligned right off the bat will be pointless...your tires will not be destroyed in that time period for being just under a 1.5" drop.
Oh okay so I'd have to have about $80 set aside for the alignment before I even think about cutting them.. Anyone know who does alignments cheap?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

i'd say more like $50 for a two wheel alignment...$80 is average for a 4 wheel one...and if a shop tries to tell you that you need a 4 wheel alignment go elsewhere lol

Old 12-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaperez100 View Post

Oh okay so I'd have to have about $80 set aside for the alignment before I even think about cutting them.. Anyone know who does alignments cheap?
I know that at the discount tire that I work at that we have shop coupons for a $35 4 wheel alignment. Call up your local dt or similar shops like ntb or just brakes or even google for coupons. No shame in saving money
Old 12-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

do you have a picture of the springs after youve cut them? im planning on cutting my springs soon and i wanna know the right angle to cut them at and how they should end up
NooWayyJosayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

i cut straight down into the spring....sadly no pics of when cutting (i've always had more on my mind sadly lol)...however David on here just cut his using the same method and did take a pic

Old 12-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
i cut straight down into the spring....sadly no pics of when cutting (i've always had more on my mind sadly lol)...however David on here just cut his using the same method and did take a pic
lol alright
NooWayyJosayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
You'll have to ignore the rear height because my car is gutted so it didn't drop much beck there lol
Front dropped nice though, handles a lot better it seems but I did new shocks/struts and LCA's in the rear, I can do about 90 around a turn I barely mangled 80 on before
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2879005366.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	574.1 KB
ID:	80041  

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang