Buying new mustang...need some advise! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Buying new mustang...need some advise!

So the bad news, i sold my 05 V6 last week because i had to pay for my school, i felt so bad at that day after i let her go, and i already start looking for a cheaper mustang the same day, i found what i believe a good deal from ford dealer in my area, but the car got some problems that i need to get some feedback about it from you guys.

its 04 V6, 100k, 40th Anniversary, one owner, zero accident, zero scratches on the body, i can say its in mint condition inside and out, they are selling the car as is and here is the problems thats in the dealer's inspection report:
1. ABS Light on
2. Oil seepage leak from engine (didn't mention where)
3. Tailshaft seal leak
the dealer asking $5000 for the car, i took it down to $4700 and still trying to get better price.

After i talked to my friend whos a mechanic, he told me that the ABS light could mean one of the sensors or it could be the ABS module, which he can replace it for about $100 bucks because he did it before.
i didn't see any engine leak at the top part of the engine, and couldn't get under the car to check, but the mechanic told me that the most expensive case, if the leak are coming from the timing case seal then it will cost me about $500. and he told me that the tailshaft leak is a simple fix and will not cost a lot of money or time.

i'm not really worrying about the ABS light or the tailshaft leak because its cheap to fix it, but i'm worrying about the engine leak, is there a common engine leak spots in this model of mustang that you know guys or not, and what do you think in general about the price compared to the issues that the car has.

thank you in advance
Blakhwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Have them show you the leak.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I got mine from a car auction for 3500 with only rear brake problems. I would say try to lower the price to 4000 that a lot of problem coming from a dealer. The abs is the sensor which are easy to change but they aren't that cheap. But leaks aren't easy and could lead to other problems
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Can't they fix that problems?

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Have them show you the leak.
thats what i'm going to do tomorrow, i will go and ask them to show it to me.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post
I got mine from a car auction for 3500 with only rear brake problems. I would say try to lower the price to 4000 that a lot of problem coming from a dealer. The abs is the sensor which are easy to change but they aren't that cheap. But leaks aren't easy and could lead to other problems
they are not easy to negotiate but i'm still working on that, as they told me its a small leak, but i'm heading back tomorrow and will ask them to show me the leak so it will be more clear to me and update the post here.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Can't they fix that problems?
the salesman was very clear to me, he said that they don't give time to used cars and if they fix it it will cost more money than fixing it at any other mechanic.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The thing is they can't offer a warranty if the car isn't at least good running when they sell it
Old 12-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakhwk
So the bad news, i sold my 05 V6 last week because i had to pay for my school, i felt so bad at that day after i let her go, and i already start looking for a cheaper mustang the same day, i found what i believe a good deal from ford dealer in my area, but the car got some problems that i need to get some feedback about it from you guys.

its 04 V6, 100k, 40th Anniversary, one owner, zero accident, zero scratches on the body, i can say its in mint condition inside and out, they are selling the car as is and here is the problems thats in the dealer's inspection report:
1. ABS Light on
2. Oil seepage leak from engine (didn't mention where)
3. Tailshaft seal leak
the dealer asking $5000 for the car, i took it down to $4700 and still trying to get better price.

After i talked to my friend whos a mechanic, he told me that the ABS light could mean one of the sensors or it could be the ABS module, which he can replace it for about $100 bucks because he did it before.
i didn't see any engine leak at the top part of the engine, and couldn't get under the car to check, but the mechanic told me that the most expensive case, if the leak are coming from the timing case seal then it will cost me about $500. and he told me that the tailshaft leak is a simple fix and will not cost a lot of money or time.

i'm not really worrying about the ABS light or the tailshaft leak because its cheap to fix it, but i'm worrying about the engine leak, is there a common engine leak spots in this model of mustang that you know guys or not, and what do you think in general about the price compared to the issues that the car has.

thank you in advance
Not a bad price! My gfs 04 gt 40th anniversary with 146xxx on it was 6900. But it was all black so we liked it. I added the rims and headlights
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-64469517.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	486.7 KB
ID:	81258   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4252144166.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	81260  

FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The thing is they can't offer a warranty if the car isn't at least good running when they sell it
When I bought a car from them two years ago they told me that they assure (not warrant) me that the used cars they sell are in a good condition and safe to drive without any major problem, other than that they will send it to the auction, same right now, but I don't want to buy it before I check the oil leak!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post

Not a bad price! My gfs 04 gt 40th anniversary with 146xxx on it was 6900. But it was all black so we liked it. I added the rims and headlights
I did my research in my area and the lower price for that car is not less than $7500, so $4700 is a good price even if I want to put money to fix the other issues, just want to make sure the oil leak is not major which I don't think so till now from what the condition of the engine!

Btw nice mustang, I wish I can find black one because my license plate says "blak hwk" lol
Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakhwk

I did my research in my area and the lower price for that car is not less than $7500, so $4700 is a good price even if I want to put money to fix the other issues, just want to make sure the oil leak is not major which I don't think so till now from what the condition of the engine!

Btw nice mustang, I wish I can find black one because my license plate says "blak hwk" lol
We've put 6xxx on it since august and it has no problems or even a check engine light! My 99 cobra with 114xxx on it has check engine and abs light.
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
That seems kind of high.. I paid $7000 for my 02 v6 about 6 months ago and it only had 38K miles on it, 1 owner (older couple who babied it), no body or paint damage, near perfect interior. Yeah thats a $2k difference but still seems kind of high.
brooksyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That's not bad. I bought mine for 2700 and 01 V6. I bought it with an oil leak its been driving me nuts and getting worse with time. My suggestion if you do end up buying. Fix the leak right away. I did the mistake of not fixing and and it's been two years. I was quoted 300 bucks to fix the leak and it's the main seal in between the engine and tranny. So it sounds like you're getting a good deal.
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksyx View Post
That seems kind of high.. I paid $7000 for my 02 v6 about 6 months ago and it only had 38K miles on it, 1 owner (older couple who babied it), no body or paint damage, near perfect interior. Yeah thats a $2k difference but still seems kind of high.
Your deal is great, I think I need to be patient about it till I get the best deal, don't forget I'm buying it from the dealer that's why it's kind of higher price compared to the mileage that you have, I wish I can find something good from an owner but I'm not lucky till now.

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
That's not bad. I bought mine for 2700 and 01 V6. I bought it with an oil leak its been driving me nuts and getting worse with time. My suggestion if you do end up buying. Fix the leak right away. I did the mistake of not fixing and and it's been two years. I was quoted 300 bucks to fix the leak and it's the main seal in between the engine and tranny. So it sounds like you're getting a good deal.
That's what I'm thinking too, but only if the leak is not something major, I will get it fixed right away, the good thing is that the mechanic is my friend, so he is ready to do it for me cheaper than anywhere, tomorrow I will visit them again and will try to know more details and get under the car.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

So after I checked with the dealer today, the leak is in the rear main seal...is it easy or not? Still didn't talk to my mechanic to get an estimate from him!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
you should be able to find a 99-04 V6 in good shape for cheap, plus they are cheap/easy to work on, get a manual not auto
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Look for another one
Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Look for another one
Agreed, there are always more deals out there!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

99 to 04 used. To be my favorite till I realized how many people had them lol so now ill stick to the less popular 94 to 98 just my opinion though
maples. j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maples. j View Post
99 to 04 used. To be my favorite till I realized how many people had them lol so now ill stick to the less popular 94 to 98 just my opinion though
There are a lot of them on the road but I've noticed most of the 99-04s are kept in horrible condition and probably haven't even had a wash in the past year.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I save my change all week then on Saturday use it to clean the hell outta my car every week I don't care how nice your car is if it ain't clean may as well be a clunker lol
Old 12-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I save my change all week then on Saturday use it to clean the hell outta my car every week I don't care how nice your car is if it ain't clean may as well be a clunker lol
Agreed, I vacuum my car out at least once a week and do a deep clean about once a month. And she gets a hand wash when she needs it if the weather permits.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yep yep
Old 12-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I bought my 2003 for 6000 two years ago with 60k on it.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys, sorry for not replying to your comments all this time, I got busy with school preparing for my graduation project!
Anyway, I took your advices and kept looking for more mustangs because I didn't want to deal with leaks and other issues with this price.
So I bought one last week, it's also an 04 with screaming yellow, the price is a lot less, $3500.
I had the chance to test drive the car and took it to my mechanic shop and lift it and look under the car, it's clean and got no leaks.
I notices one issue after driving the car for few days now, I'll post it in a new thread.
Thanks all for the advice
Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

If this helps, four new tires on the car and newly installed front rotors from previous owner.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol more common...but faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakhwk View Post
Hey guys, sorry for not replying to your comments all this time, I got busy with school preparing for my graduation project!
Anyway, I took your advices and kept looking for more mustangs because I didn't want to deal with leaks and other issues with this price.
So I bought one last week, it's also an 04 with screaming yellow, the price is a lot less, $3500.
I had the chance to test drive the car and took it to my mechanic shop and lift it and look under the car, it's clean and got no leaks.
I notices one issue after driving the car for few days now, I'll post it in a new thread.
Thanks all for the advice
pics?

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakhwk View Post
If this helps, four new tires on the car and newly installed front rotors from previous owner.
Misplaced this comment lol

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

lol more common...but faster

pics?
I'll get some hopefully today

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang