Painting the interior - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Painting the interior

Alright so I'm looking to black out the entire interior. The one in there now Has this stupid graphite grey With some black. It's probably gona be a long drawn out process but I want to do it right, by that I mean pretty much stripping the interior (minus carpet since its already black) and put the proper amount of coats on it all. Removing the door panels and little trims pieces won't be a problem. I had a little trouble removing the center console last time but with the seats out it should be ten times easier. The bear is gona be the dash. Has anyone tried removing this before? Has anyone found any good write ups on this if they tried it? Last question, 4-5 coats and 2-3 clear coats was what I was planning, sound about right? What do you guys think?
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Putting a glossy clear on your dash is quite unsafe, insane amouts of glare in your face while driving. Not to mention it reflects up onto the windshield making it very hard to see through. Ive got a few friends that and made the mistake. But if you still want to do it then 3-5 base and 2-5 clear is good.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would think twice before painting the dash with gloss it is very dangerous because of the glare from the sun.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Zat on Moddedmustangs painted his interior from tan to gloss black...the glare was minimal from what he says. you could always use a semi gloss if you'd like or even hit it with a matte clear.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
Zat on Moddedmustangs painted his interior from tan to gloss black...the glare was minimal from what he says. you could always use a semi gloss if you'd like or even hit it with a matte clear.
A matte clear would work great.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
Putting a glossy clear on your dash is quite unsafe, insane amouts of glare in your face while driving. Not to mention it reflects up onto the windshield making it very hard to see through. Ive got a few friends that and made the mistake. But if you still want to do it then 3-5 base and 2-5 clear is good.
I wasnt going to use a gloss just a clear coat to seal in the black. I've tried without the clear coat and it was very rough feeling and would scuff easily
Old 12-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to RaysV6
Well I can tell u from going to a body shop class at wyotech, it's all about material and paint. I painted my interior on my civic when I had one. I had a spot where I sanded it down and was smooth when I painted it compared to the rest if the dash. If your gunna do it, do it right. Use a good primer first so that it can lay down smooth. You may have to wet sand if so use a 1500-2000 grit wet/dry sand paper. Use a powder that will show u ur high spots and low spots when sanding. This is interior so u dont need to go all crazy with several coats. Two coats will be plenty, as for a clear coat u will need just one coat. Again interior isnt designed to be super shiney. You want it to look nice but not over done. The exterior is where you would need several coats of primer base and clear. The other way of getting a good shine would be using fiberglass over the dash and other parts. But I dont think your wanting to go all detailed out. Just my opinion guys. Through trial and error, when I paint my parts the same process as above is the exact way im gunna do it. I will also purchase extra parts so that I can still drive my car.
RaysV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The extra parts idea is a good one I didn't think of that. Thank you for input, I was beginning to think everyone thought I was crazy for wanting to try this lol. The primer is definitely something that I will use for the next pieces I try to paint, because I'm having trouble getting the paint to stick on the complete plastic pieces and I may try to sand those a little too. There is a lot of vinyl pieces like the doors and dash, do you think it would still be okay to sand and prime those as well? And yeah fiberglass is out of the question lol.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

U dont have to sand the peices if u use an automotive primer and paint. U can go to napa and ask them for a high build primer and base coat and clear, I wouldnt sand the plastic peices until u have them primered. Painting Interior will be like paiting tye outside of a car. First u want to get all ur peices together, use a mild soap with warm water, and basically wash ur parts to get them clean. DO NOT SAND. Wait until u get the primer on then wet sand it smooth. Omce u have the orange peel gone then u can tack cloth it and lay ur base coat down, let it dry for an hour or so in a warm area, then lay ur clear once u bake it to dry u can wet sand it to remove the orange peel if any. It sounds like alot of work but its done rigjt the first time and will look like a professional did it. Trust me u dont want to keep painting it over and over again using rattle can paint.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

What do you mean tack cloth?
Old 12-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

U can go to any automotive paint store, napa, sherwin williams, ppg, a tack cloth is a very sticky cloth that when used will pick up debris from sanding.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Oh okay thanks for the input, and yeah, I really want to do it right this time. I painted some other things and I'm disappointed on how it came out lol. Now I just have to figure out how to get this giant dashboard out and back in haha.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If anything go to a junk yard and find one that has been rummaged through. Why? Cuz it will show all open areas where screws will be. 2 u can snap pics of it to help remind u where they are located. Diving head first on ur own ur more likely to get frustrated and will spend more time taking it apart then doing a little looking around at a junkyard and looking at a totaled car.

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 AM ----------

Hope this helps you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang