3.8L / 4.2L Road Race Engine
I have recently acquired a 2000 3.8L Mustang 5-speed coupe. This has been acquired as an extra vehicle for spirited driving during good weather. My interest is in setting up this car for occasional road racing. All of the usual suspension upgrades will be done.
My current thoughts on drive train improvements with the stock 3.8L are:
- True 2-1/2” x-pipe dual exhaust
- Long tube headers
- Cold air intake
- Under drive pulley system
- 3.73 gears and traction lock differential
Once the above items are in place it will be time to begin building an engine to improve the car’s road racing ability. My thoughts are to build and engine and utilize the above components also. Here are my thoughts. I am looking for input and suggestions:
- 4.2L engine purchased rebuilt for $1600 or a used engine for around $500
- ARP rod bolts to replace stock for improved bottom end
- SSX Power Pack Stage 2+ or Stage 3.
- 218/224 degree, .550”/.550” lift, 112 center. Looking for a cam with street drivability, decent fuel mileage and smooth torque curve for road racing.
- Stock 19lb or 24lb injectors.
- 65mm or 70mm throttle body.
- Aluminum flywheel
Thanks for everyones help.