Turbocharger vs. supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Turbocharger vs. supercharger

Hey guys,
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.

Just doing some research here and I wanted to start this thread to hear the pros and cons between the turbocharger setup and supercharger setup. I know exactly how they both work, just wanted to get your guys opinions on either one. Things like performance quality, ease of installation, best pricing, overall maintenance, best setup on our cars or other cars, that type of stuff. Just wanted to See what kind of knowledge we can toss around on this subject, hit me with what ya got.
03Sixtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
depends on what you want out of the car

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, how about a daily driver, since a lot of us daily drive our babies lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
budget?

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Strictly informational for right now, I'm not looking to buy a turbo at the end of the month or nothin...or am I? Haha. Just looking for opinions on what people like between the two, whether it be low maintenance or high quality performance or best bang for your buck, or just the easiest quality setup they enjoyed on their car. Or, if someone had a bad experience with one type of setup
Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sixtang View Post
Strictly informational for right now, I'm not looking to buy a turbo at the end of the month or nothin...or am I? Haha. Just looking for opinions on what people like between the two, whether it be low maintenance or high quality performance or best bang for your buck, or just the easiest quality setup they enjoyed on their car. Or, if someone had a bad experience with one type of setup
STS turbo I'm really interested in them and really want to get a twin set up.
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Is that the one that runs the turbo real close to the ground, I heard it can get close to sucking up some water is that true? Twin turbo sounds like a big job with all new internals, if you do decide to go that route I'd definitely like to hear about it, see how it works out for you.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've always liked superchargers. I always like to squeel my wheels.
either way your going to need new internals unless you run low psi. I think the stock internals are good up to 6 or 8 psi.
Turbos can vary there power, some can give you low-end power, some give you mid-range power, and some give you alot of high-end power.
Supercharger are's always belt driven and have a more solid connection.
Most only provide low-end power, centrifugal(pro-charger,vortech...) supercharger's look kinda like turbo, but are belt driven and affect the the higher end a little bit more.
Roots superchargers(eaton, kennebelle etc...) are mounted on top of the engine, some use the traditional roots style rotors some use twin screw rotors. the twin screw are more effective but cost a lot more.

this is what i've learned so far, so of it might be incorrect(if any one has any more info please add on or correct what i've said i'm always eager to learn more)
I personally like the roots/twin screw superchargers better. They look more aesthetically pleasing to me, and they add alot of low end torque to the engine. Which is what I want.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

What in turbo chargers differs that change between low end mid range and high end? My understanding was that they were always mid range to high end, and that they had "turbo lag" until enough boost built up to make you fly, making no effect in the low rpms?
Old 12-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have VERY limited knowledge on the topic, but I am under the impression that turbo runs off of exhaust, and super runs off of the engine.

What makes that important to me, is that when the components are not being used, a turbo does not drain on the system, while the super still does.

I do not know how true that is, or if times have changed since then, or what. But for a daily driver, I think turbo is better for this instance. But please note that I am not well versed on the subject.

Edit: this was useful to me
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...s-ar98210.html

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

a supercharger should always be in use, same for turbo. its just at idle they both push out little psi.
with a turbo you can get a blow-off valve. to blow off extra psi so you don't blow your engine. I think they have electronic blow off valves that let you set the amount of psi your turbo's are pushing out.
with a supercharger I think you can do the same for centrifugal superchargers.
roots you might need a clutch system on it or something if its even possible. otherwise you would just use different belts and pulleys for a supercharger.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What in turbo chargers differs that change between low end mid range and high end? My understanding was that they were always mid range to high end, and that they had "turbo lag" until enough boost built up to make you fly, making no effect in the low rpms?
the size of the turbos is what matters.
smaller turbos require less exhaust to spool up and push out max psi.
Larger turbos have bigger blades and need more exhaust to push them and the heavier blades take longer to spool up to max psi.
smaller turbos push less air(less psi) but reach it alot faster than a bigger turbo that would push more psi on the high end.
smaller turbos=more low end. bigger turbos=more high end.

smaller turbo's have very little or no turbo lag(if there small enough you could be maxing them out at idle which would be ZERO turbo lag) bigger turbos have more turbo lag. Which could actually make your car slower until the turbo actually spools up and kicks in. but when it does you'll notice it.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:27 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Okay that makes sense. Seems like the only problem that I see with the supercharger is that it's taking a little away from the engine and, in my mind, that seems minuscule to the amount of power you are adding constantly. Plus a turbo seems like a lot more work and money, setting up a cooling system and waste gate and blow off.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Turbo by far more powerful, you can generally get away with 11psi or 350-375rwhp whichever the case, just fine for daily driving and turbos do result in better daily driving characteristics, more mileage because they don't put a strain on the motor like a supercharger that is belt driven just running on the free power of exhaust

(Don't recommend STS setups with under mounted/rear mounted turbos, they lag like crazy no driving in the rain at all since the filters are actually under the car unless you pipe them all the way back up to the front)

If you're looking for the most power turbo, the simplest install while getting good gains supercharger, or if you're a track guy mainly get a nitrous kit

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
Turbo by far more powerful, you can generally get away with 11psi or 350-375rwhp whichever the case, just fine for daily driving and turbos do result in better daily driving characteristics, more mileage because they don't put a strain on the motor like a supercharger that is belt driven just running on the free power of exhaust

(Don't recommend STS setups with under mounted/rear mounted turbos, they lag like crazy no driving in the rain at all since the filters are actually under the car unless you pipe them all the way back up to the front)

If you're looking for the most power turbo, the simplest install while getting good gains supercharger, or if you're a track guy mainly get a nitrous kit
I second that ^^^^ if you just want power NOS is the way to go it always there when you need it it's less expensive I'm going that route it's way better in my opinion and hurts the engine less. I mean your not going to spray every damn day and a turbo kit or supercharger is always going to put some type of streets on the engine for the time you turn it on.
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchredfrankie View Post

I second that ^^^^ if you just want power NOS is the way to go it always there when you need it it's less expensive I'm going that route it's way better in my opinion and hurts the engine less. I mean your not going to spray every damn day and a turbo kit or supercharger is always going to put some type of stress on the engine for the time you turn it on.
Technically it's not always there lol the bottle will run out but it last long enough for a track day at least

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 12-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #17

Region: Alaska
If the motor is tuned for boost they will be no additional stress to the motor or drivetrian. If you drive with lead foot,beat up on it day in and day out, dont keep up with regular maint. Then any motor boosted or not will give in.
Underpressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #18

Turbo or supercharger ? Its all a personal and financial choice. There are only to of the shelf supercharger kits vortech (which is discontinued) and procharger. I have not seen any off the shelf turbo kits for the 3.8/4.2 just one of kits. You dont even have to go twin. You can go single turbo and use the 3.8 short mani's to keep it simple.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #19

Click image for larger version

Name:	599.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	82538

Click image for larger version

Name:	4-1.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	82539
Old 12-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I think that's Randy's turbo setup^ I know his car was done by iron horse

The motor will be stressed under boost juice hell even N/A lol tune keeps it alive without detonation or burning up from being lean, but it's always under stress

blower/new cam soon
Old 12-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #21

Yes, the fabrication was done by IH. its all cheap ebay parts bought by the owner stang. I was just trying to show an example that its upto your imagination and your wallet.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I have heard turbo is better for dd since it isn't active like the supercharger
Stanglover1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #23

It all depends on the turbo trim. Most factory turbo equip vehicles are made for low boost/ for the low to midrange rpm band with fuel economy and emission in mind. Aftermarket street kits are mostly design for mid to the high rpm range. Initial Boost will probably come in at 3000. Again this all depends and turbo trim (exhuast and intake side) manifold type, pressure tubing size, twin entry inlet, ball bearing etc.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underpressure View Post
If the motor is tuned for boost they will be no additional stress to the motor or drivetrian. If you drive with lead foot,beat up on it day in and day out, dont keep up with regular maint. Then any motor boosted or not will give in.
is that so ?
southfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Is that the one that runs the turbo real close to the ground, I heard it can get close to sucking up some water is that true? Twin turbo sounds like a big job with all new internals, if you do decide to go that route I'd definitely like to hear about it, see how it works out for you.
Ya it's a rear mounted turbo system in the exhaust and I wouldn't put it on a daily driver since I'm in mass the winters are bad, but the internals of the turbo r not exposed I think the turbo itself is and I would just be worried about it rusting. The goods about these is that there fairly cheap and a twin system only cost $3000 and a tma or procharger cost 4k for one. So to me it's a good deal.
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

And the guy with the TMA single kit would be spooled and down the 1/4 mile by the time the STS car gets spooled up and to half track lol

blower/new cam soon
Old 12-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Get a procharger easy to install and almost twice the power
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone sell the full pro charger kit besides am
Old 01-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I like the pro charger , I would like to get one in the future
Mustangdust is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang