Headlights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
Headlights

I have a 97 mustang. I just bought the spyderco ccfl dual halo headlights. They are suppose to be amazing. What's the difference between ccfl and hid?
rashima13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #2

Region: Alaska
CCFL*stands for “Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps” or cold cathodes for short.* Most of the times cold cathode is an element used within nixie tubes, gas discharge lamps, and vacuum tubes.* The term cold cathode refers to the fact that the cathode is not independently heated.* In spite of this, the cathode itself may still operate at* temperatures as high as if the cathode were heated.**CCFL*headlights*use very little energy and has a long operation life (if handled properly),* yet produce much much brighter amazing light output.* In the past, with aftermarket halo projectors, the halos were never bright enough.* With* this new technology halos in projector headlights will shine as bright as ever.
Underpressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underpressure View Post
CCFL*stands for “Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps” or cold cathodes for short.* Most of the times cold cathode is an element used within nixie tubes, gas discharge lamps, and vacuum tubes.* The term cold cathode refers to the fact that the cathode is not independently heated.* In spite of this, the cathode itself may still operate at* temperatures as high as if the cathode were heated.**CCFL*headlights*use very little energy and has a long operation life (if handled properly),* yet produce much much brighter amazing light output.* In the past, with aftermarket halo projectors, the halos were never bright enough.* With* this new technology halos in projector headlights will shine as bright as ever.
So are they better than hid headlights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #4

CCFL refers to the halo around the projector light
Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashima13 View Post
So are they better than hid headlights?
not the same bulb...the light itself is still a standard halogen...the halos are the ccfl's

edit: i will say they will never be as bright as an HID setup, but if you like it rock it

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #6

No not the same bulb. The headlight you got came with a halogen bulb projector set up. HID (high intensity discharge) is a diff type of bulb. The new CCFL refers the halo ring/angel eyes around the bulb
Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #7

So if I wanted to. I could take out the bulbs and add hid to it
Old 12-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #8

Yes and no. There are HID kits that you can retro fit into your headlight housing. But your projector headlights internals were design for a halogen bulb that only has one hotspot. When you install a HID bulb, which has two hotspots it projects the light incorrectly blinding incoming traffic. Becoming a safety issue. And it is actually illegal.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #9

I know there's tons of HID aftermarket kits out on the market. But unless you buy a headlight that is design for an HID bulb its not gonna work properly. There's an actual science to it. The specific angles the internal housing is shaped helps reflect the hotspot aka light beam correctly
Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashima13 View Post
So if I wanted to. I could take out the bulbs and add hid to it
you'll get horrible output if you do....99% of aftermarket projectors aren't HID rated. if you want projectors for HIDs you'll need to build the headlights yourself with a proper retrofit. or just toss HIDs in your stock housings.....

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang