diff. or transmission? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
diff. or transmission?

From first to second my car shifts really hard and i cant seem to figure out what it could me ? Any help?
Berry_Eggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Do you have a custom tune? They could have the shift pressures too high if its that bad

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
Do you have a custom tune? They could have the shift pressures too high if its that bad
Well from what i know i dont have that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Bad solenoid?
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy View Post
Bad solenoid?
I have no idea what that is.... Can you explain?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Auto or manual? I have that same problem with mine. If it is an auto, then I got bad news for you. Your tranny is on its way out. I took mine to a shop and they charge me around 1400 to rebuild or 1800 to put a used tranny in. Hopefully it's not that. Take it to a shop, they'll usually do a free diagnosis
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Auto or manual? I have that same problem with mine. If it is an auto, then I got bad news for you. Your tranny is on its way out. I took mine to a shop and they charge me around 1400 to rebuild or 1800 to put a used tranny in. Hopefully it's not that. Take it to a shop, they'll usually do a free diagnosis
Man why you got to tell me that !!! Its auto, screw my life and burn it haha
Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry_Eggo View Post

I have no idea what that is.... Can you explain?
It's a automated valve in the transmission that controls shift points... Def get it diagnosed! Get a real professional a shade tree mechanic will take you to the cleaners! Worth every penny. Take it from experience...
Old 12-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's a automated valve in the transmission that controls shift points... Def get it diagnosed! Get a real professional a shade tree mechanic will take you to the cleaners! Worth every penny. Take it from experience...
Yeah, i know where to take it, my dads trucks tran messed up and rebuilt it there for 2000, i hate this ._.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, i know where to take it, my dads trucks tran messed up and rebuilt it there for 2000, i hate this ._.
Sucks man, reason I switched to manual. cheaper to rebuild, more fun, and cheaper to option when new. Let us know how it goes... Sorry to hear again.

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

Quote:

Yea, sucks. But almost always cheaper to fix.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sucks man, reason I switched to manual. cheaper to rebuild, more fun, and cheaper to option when new. Let us know how it goes... Sorry to hear again.

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

I might as well change it to a Manuel while im add it
Old 12-31-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I might as well change it to a Manuel while im add it
I'd switch, but probably cheaper to fix. Sounds fun!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'd switch, but probably cheaper to fix. Sounds fun!
How much did you spend trying to sawp it ? How much is the computer?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How much did you spend trying to sawp it ? How much is the computer?
Depends on the year. Probably trans, drive shaft, computer, misc. Parts. Cheaper if you do the labor. Probably about $5k rough estimate. Kills trade and anyone with a car fax. Do it for you. It's not about the money, if it is... Stay with auto. I don't want to be negative, but it's generally better to trade for a manual. I traded for a manual 13 on my 04 BMW. Never looked back. Love every minute. Do I miss my bimmer? Yes (don't hate, I love all cars). But then again, I have a sick stang. So I'm happy.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah if you plan on keeping the car take it to a reputable mechanic and get it diagnosed. Don't take my word for it, it might be something simple. That's why I got mine diagnosed so I'm selling both my stangs and upgrading to a GT
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Depends on the year. Probably trans, drive shaft, computer, misc. Parts. Cheaper if you do the labor. Probably about $5k rough estimate. Kills trade and anyone with a car fax. Do it for you. It's not about the money, if it is... Stay with auto. I don't want to be negative, but it's generally better to trade for a manual. I traded for a manual 13 on my 04 BMW. Never looked back. Love every minute. Do I miss my bimmer? Yes (don't hate, I love all cars). But then again, I have a sick stang. So I'm happy.
Thats what i was worried ab ._. Im 18 starting on my first car and i cant make that money in months, so i guess ill just have to stick with rebuilding it. I dont hate on BMW, i love all cars not just mustangs
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Couldnt i

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote:

Couldnt i use a v8 transmission on my car? Or it has to be a v6?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Swap your transmission oil for some Royal Purple synthetic. Had a similar problem and now shifts are like butter.
delff128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Turns out it wasnt my tran, my whole car vibrated and my tran and engine mounts were missing, not all but just three ._.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Turns out it wasnt my tran, my whole car vibrated and my tran and engine mounts were missing, not all but just three ._.
wow! How were they missing? Did you buy the car from a dealer? Great time to upgrade to silicone or racing mounts! I hope your car is smooth with the new mounts.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #21

Region: Iowa
Can bad motor mounts cause a manual Tranny to have occasional bad shifts . Like every so often when I go to 2nd it feels like it wants to bounce out and then it slides right in
Crazystang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

wow! How were they missing? Did you buy the car from a dealer? Great time to upgrade to silicone or racing mounts! I hope your car is smooth with the new mounts.
I had bought it off this guy who was leaving, he was trying to leave and wanted to sell his car, so yeah! Im just glad it wasnt my tran
Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #23

Region: Iowa
There shot from time
Crazystang99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang