1995 Mustang, PROBLEM!? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1995 Mustang, PROBLEM!?

I have a 1995 Mustang and while I was driving today, it shut off and wouldn't start up. I thought it was a alternator/battery problem but while trying to jump start it, it wouldn't budge. It won't turn over at the crank and it makes a short clicking sound when I turn the key. Any ideas??? Thanks
dichali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

1995 Mustang, PROBLEM!?

Not getting power to starter (poor connection) or starter loose causing poor ground (mounting bolts are the starters grounds)
collin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

1995 Mustang, PROBLEM!?

It takes approximately 9.5 volts to start a car. If you hear a clicking sound, your battery is not putting out enough voltage. Your radio, headlights, etc., will all work, so you will think that your problem is your starter. NOT SO. Either you have a weak battery which need charging, or the most likely culprit are your battery cables. Most people will look at their cables and if they LOOK clean, and don't see any white corrosion build up on the terminals, they believe the battery terminals are making a good contact. Once again - NOT SO. Those terminals and cables are lead. Lead is a shiny metal. Scrap the top of a battery terminal and it will shine. That darkness on the terminal you scraped off is also present between you battery terminal and cable, and will prevent a good contact. All it needs is to cause a drop in voltage to your starter and you will hear a clicking sound from the starter.

Get a good battery terminal and cable cleaner at your auto parts store. The type with the wires inside that will really make those terminals and cables shine. Once you have cleaned them, your battery will put out max voltage. If you still hear the clicking sound, take your battery to an auto parts store and they will check it. It may not be holding a charge or you may have a dead cell. However, DO NOT try and clean your battery terminals with Baking Soda or Coca Cola. I've worked on cars for over 50 years and all that does is clean the OUTSIDE of the terminals - NOT the connection between the cable and terminal.

So many people run out and buy a new starter or battery when it is really the connection itself.
espowyes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

1995 Mustang, PROBLEM!?

actually its not cause its a ford. ive had plenty of hondas and theyre worse than the ford. i havent tried to jump it from the starter yet. im scared the motor is gone. it just shut off while i was driving. there was no warning just off and then wouldnt start. i cleaned the battery terminals and nothing happened.
arlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

1995 Mustang, PROBLEM!?

Was there any other symptoms that were at the same time? High temp? Oil light? Could be the engine is locked up. Try applying power direct to the starter to see if the engine will crank. If not, your engine is now a boat anchor.
nahcomence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

1995 Mustang, PROBLEM!?

what do you expect from a ford
trade in that p.o.s. and get a real car like a honda
orlando67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
1995 mustang