This stupid car again! 1997 mustang fuel pump fuse keeps blowing? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

This stupid car again! 1997 mustang fuel pump fuse keeps blowing?

Ok, so i'm about over this dam car now but whats happening is, it basically wouldnt start today. so i had it towed, the tow truck guy said it wasn't getting fuel so i checked everything and found out it was the maxi 13 fuse. I'm not sure what that is for cuz i dont have the manuel but i bought a new one and i put it in and the car cranked and ran real rough for a couple seconds and died. What could be blowing this fuse? could it be the fuel pump relay? the fuel pump itself? wiring?
please help!
camden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

seems like the fuel pump has a short in it
franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

a fuse blows because to much current is flowing through it.
the relay simply amplifies power when it's switched.on, good for higher power drawing accessories, fuel pumps included.
a wire short will also cause a fuse to blow.

the fuel pump can be wearing out and drawing more power, which is normal for an old pump. I'd also check the wire connector to the fuel pump & make sure the wires didn't get rub against the body of the car.
dagoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You either have a bad pump, ground or your wiring is chafed or burned. If you are blowing a maxi fuse, you have a big problem. What else lives on the fuse? one of those could be the problem too. It would be in the owners manual
birney44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

try a bigger fuse if you hadent already.if it blows then you know you have a bigger problem and take it to someone who can fix it.
shaddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It is the fuel pump failing. As they start failing they draw more amperage.

Putting in a bigger fuse is a bad idea. Allowing more current could cause the wires to burn up. The factory uses the smallest gauge wiring as possible to save money on parts.

The relay has nothing to do with drawing more amperage. A relay is a electromechanical switch. It draws very little current to use a magnet to draw the contacts closed. It allows higher amperage switching that normal switches can not handle. realys typically handle switching up to 10 amps, contactors allow switching over 10 amps.

When the relay is energized the magnets pull the contacts closed. On the contacts is the feed from the battery on one side and the load (in your case fuel pump) on the other.

If the relay was bad the fuel pump would never get power, since the pump works the realy is working.
imported_kit is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
1997 mustang