gt vs v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
gt vs v6

Ok Not Everyone Thinks That This **** Can Happen But..I Have To Post This..I Own A 05 v6 4.0 5speed And It Has A Few Mods Including Headers 2 & 1/2 Xpipe Into Flowmasters K&N Air Filter And A Shorty Belt
My Friend Just Got A Low Mile 05 GT And He Let Me Drive It...I Must Say You Can Feel The V8 Power But Not The Pull Mine Has...
I Mean Yeah It Lights The Tires And Barks 123 But My Gawd Mine Does That Also...
Factory Specs On Both cars Are v6 @ 210 Hp V8Gt @300 hp
Now With My Mods I Estimate Im Pushing @ Least 250 or 260
The Gt Is Plain Jane Stock And I can Almsot Bet I Can Whoop Its *** Anyone Think Im Full of It Or Do I Have A Chance ......?
Again This Isnt a Gt Bashing Session I Just Wanted a 2nd or 3rd Opinion !
Johnnys05Red4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: gt vs v6

so you have a k&n filter and an exhaust?........that will not net you 40-50 crank hp, more like 10-15. the 4.0s respond better to mods than the 3.8s, but its not that much of a jump with just that. with just those mods however, your car should be low 15s, possibly high 14s if you are a good driver and run on a good night. the gt will cut high 13s with a decent driver

whats a shorty belt?
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think your car is putting down 250-260 with those mods. The only way to know for sure is to get it dynoed. So first I would try to find a local performance shop and pay for a few dyno pulls to see what it actually puts down, that way you don't sound like a complete ****** bag when you just guestimate how much power the car has.

With that being said... The bone stock 05+ GT can run high 13s with a good driver. But most nights at the track you will find PLENTY of stock, or lightly modded 05+ GTs running mid 14s all night. So if you are a good driver, you might be able to pull off a high to mid 14 and give a slower driver in a GT a run for his money.

Unless the GT driver just totally sucks, you shouldn't be able to "smoke" him though.

But until you get the car dynoed and run it at the track... you will never know for sure.

-jeff

The Texas Mustang Club
bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

my 00 v6 with supercharger put down 250hp 260tq to the wheels, i know the stock 05 v6 has a little more than a stock 00 but if your rated at 210 hp factory you probly have about 140 to the wheels just for the fact the factory likes to have perfect conditions and take the best run to get their rating, second like kyle said you probly gain id say at the most 20hp but your on the right track with your current mods its taken me 6 years to get to the point im at and my car is now highly modified so, keep havin fun and if you want to know what you can do against someone theres always friday night at the strip
jedwards242000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

It is safe to say that your friend has a faster car than yours. Just hope that the driver mod in yours is much better than in his.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to rwboring

down two cylinders, stock redlines, and N/A... you need a good driver mod...
rwboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

different cars feel different in the speed department. Your v6 is not bad overall and it is lighter than the GT. With just bolt ons you will struggle to get a ton of hp out of it, remember the claims made by K&N and other companies are nearly always 100% crap. With exhaust and a K&N you probably picked up about 10-15 hp as stated above~ putting you in the 220-230hp range. If the car is a manual then you should be capable of low 15s which isnt to bad overall.

the 05+ gt's run low 13s stock to mid 13s stock~ which is a good bit faster than yours but it wont feel that much different in just driving the two. To me the 05+ gts feel slow but they have a different power band than your car~ the 4.6L 3v is more of a top end motor that lacks bottom end tq.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #8

Region: North Carolina

Wow Thanks For The Quick Responces ..Im Glad To Know What I Need To Do Now To Get The V6 Whipped Completely Into Shape For The V8's
And We Only Have One 1/4 Mile Dragstrip Within 100 Miles But We Do Have Several 1/8 Mile Dragstrips So I Only Know 1/8 Mile Time slip Responces I Know Numbers Like Low 10's @70 +MPH
Or high 9's @ 80+MPH Im Guessing You Would Add 3 or 4 Seconds To estimate The 1/4 mile Numbers
I Do Know A Lil About Old School Muscle Hince I Used To Own A 85 Mustang Back In The Day It Had A GT40 Motor In It And I Ran Consistant Low 9's And High 8's In it On Motor ..But That Was 20 years Ago I Sold The Car And Didnt Get The Mustang Bug Again Till I Saw The 05 Mustang And Was Like Omg I Have To Have One Again !
Johnnys05Red4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to rwboring

im not sure the exact number but i think you can take the time and multiply by a coefficient to get a ROUGH 1/4... but for cars like turbos or AWD those will be skewed
rwboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Glad you got the bug again. Mine never left even when a 3rd child required a vacation from it.
My old '00 with a 4.2 modded would not catch a 05+ GT (I tried) in a 1/4. The road race oriented suspension might have had something to do with it, but I prefer corners to straights anyway. Now, anything prior to 99 was a cake walk, but they are fellow Stang owners so I never specifically went after them.
My favorite targets were those rice burning guys who know squat but think they are the king because of a coffee can muffler. If I were you those would be the people I would go after. I once owned a 93 with a nicely done 2.5turbo. I left the DIS intact (no mean feat) and was told three times it must be a v-8 because it had 8 plug wires! I was young and stupid and street raced (usually on the windiest road I could convince them to run) these guys because they wouldn't go to a strip or track. You want humiliation? Beat a WRX whose owner swears it's a 100mph car around the bends. That is better than any GT I ever beat. Of course, do it on a track. Doing it on the road costs way too much in way too many ways. I keep my old wheel chair to remind me of the 6 months I spent in it.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29

I saw it on PASS TIME on the SPEED CHANNEL. An 06 completely stock besides a k&n filter and it ran a 13.0X. I don't remember that last digit but I'm certain it was a 13.0...I was very surprised. I knew stock 99-04s rand mid 14s so I figured 06 w/ k&n may cut into the 13s but I didn't think it'd be faster than the camaro at mid 13s to my surprise it almost broke into the 12s. My respect to the improved mustang. To johnny w/ the red 4.0 I don't think you got more than a 220hp's. I good race for you would be against the 96-98 GT and I think that'll whoop you if it's running smoothly
Old 06-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by megax29 View Post
I saw it on PASS TIME on the SPEED CHANNEL. An 06 completely stock besides a k&n filter and it ran a 13.0X. I don't remember that last digit but I'm certain it was a 13.0...I was very surprised. I knew stock 99-04s rand mid 14s so I figured 06 w/ k&n may cut into the 13s but I didn't think it'd be faster than the camaro at mid 13s to my surprise it almost broke into the 12s. My respect to the improved mustang. To johnny w/ the red 4.0 I don't think you got more than a 220hp's. I good race for you would be against the 96-98 GT and I think that'll whoop you if it's running smoothly
Yeah that was probably the vortech v6...

A stock 05+ GT wont run a 13.0x
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Send a message via Skype™ to noslow5ohh

i had a 4 cylinder mustang if you wana talk about slow lol, i use to race alot of 99-04 v6s back when i had my stock aod LX tok them fairly easy never raced the new v6s thougth
noslow5ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I seen that episode of past time and it was an 05 red GT with slicks on it and probably a couple other things, very possible for it to run those times~ stock off the lot they generally run mid 13s
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I seen that episode of past time and it was an 05 red GT with slicks on it and probably a couple other things, very possible for it to run those times~ stock off the lot they generally run mid 13s
That sounds more like it to me

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(http://www.tmaturbo.com/)
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(http://www.dtpracing.com/)
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29

It was a red GT I have it recorded wish I could upload and prove it. Didn't have slick slicks it had a racing thread tire I think they're known as drag radials same racing category similiar to NITTO AND TOYO design or a sport tire.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang