SCT or Diablosport - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #36
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG
Exclamation Re: SCT or Diablosport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwboring View Post
im talking about GT's as in without cobra motors ... (please see other thread in V6 section where i said i dont compare GT's to cobras OR v6's to GTs)... i wouldn't be afraid to line up against a similar modded GT...
I'd live up with you but I'm not close!

SCT FTW..

Justin @ vmp
or Joe @ tricktuners
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to rwboring
Re: SCT or Diablosport

you guys are not pickin up what im putting down... i firmly believe if you just order a SCT or Diablo (and are NOT going to dyno tune) then the sniper system is better... its lets you get more tuned in safely... three is no reason to dyno tune with bolt ons... esp if you can get within say 5rwhp without it...
rwboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

i wish i was blown (in more ways then one) so i could set the sniper to Xpsi then go get it dyno tuned and see how close it is... (and yes i would get something dyno tuned if it were blown...) i just dont see the point if you have a N/A car with bolt ons...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #39
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Because the tuning software used by tuners have more capabilities to change settings inside the tune than a tuner allows access to. There's a reason the tuning software costs thousands while a hand held is only a couple hundred bucks. It's because you can do more fine tuning with it.

As for the challenge, once the GT gets tuned, I will take your challenge. Even if it is a dyno challenge only to compare numbers....taking into consideration that each dyno reads differently. Even so, if the SAE numbers are within 5-10 hp across the board, then you can say the tuners are about equal. If there are large gaps between the outputs anywhere in the RPM range, then you will be able to say they are not overly equal.

However, if you do manage to make it around here, or I manage to make it to eastern Iowa (which I think is near you...without looking at a map), then we will definitely do a throw down....taking into consideration it would be an auto vs a manual.

I just don't think you are as good of a tuner as someone that has been doing it for years...whether the software lets you change things or not. I'd put my money on justin @ vmp or james @ rwtd over a "John Q Public" tuning on a hand held any day....no matter what hand held anyone is using.

As for the point of doing a N/A car, it is because you can change the timing and shift points and fine tune the fuel curves and MAF tables for the environment. Sure, you can make some general changes with a hand held, but when open tuning software, you can change a ton of **** and really fine tune things.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:25 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

THATS what im saying for someone who ISNT going to dyno tune that IS just going to do the "base" tunes... yes you have tunes pre-installed into the tuner, but with sniper you PICK what is done... and it does it right there... no sending it in... "do you have X pipe, yes or no" "is it catted, yes or no"... im going to have to search for the link tonight (mustang forum is blocked here) but there was a guy that gained 7peak hp and (i think it was) 20max hp from a hand held tune and the sniper... and i think the founders have been in the business and has worked for SCT and Diablo and others since 1987ish... so how do you get more experience then that?

and for 6XX.XX$ you can get "open tuning" or buy the base system then pay a difference to get the full tuning.

Honestly, the next time you go to get your cars tuned... as these tuners if they have seen it... to me if your going to have someone tune the car they should have USED all the options... if they haven't maybe they are working with something that is obsolete
Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 AM   #41
Road Trip!

the actual dyno-tuning software is over 5k from sniper.the capabilities you are talking about can be done with other tuners as well, granatelli is set up the same way as well as sct. we tuned the turbo car with a sct handheld for the baseline tune to drive it to the dyno we tuned it on.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #42
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

It's OKAY ya'll, he'll SEE the light ONE day.... he'll SEE the light ONE day...
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #43
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
the actual dyno-tuning software is over 5k from sniper.the capabilities you are talking about can be done with other tuners as well, granatelli is set up the same way as well as sct. we tuned the turbo car with a sct handheld for the baseline tune to drive it to the dyno we tuned it on.
Exactly...and the baseline tunes are just that, a safe baseline. However, even if you don't get on the dyno to tune your car, a tuner can customize your tune to a very fine degree because of all of the other cars they have tuned. So, even though you are not getting a dyno tune, you are not going to be far from it.

At the same time, if you buy an SCT X-Cal 3 from VMP, it COMES with up to 3 of those custom tunes so that you don't have to use the baseline ca ca.

None the less, the sniper is just another tuner...I'm sure no better or worse than the SCT...just like the Diablosport predator. However, until I see a sniper datalog with an SCT LiveLink type application, I will say the SCT is still the better choice. The ease of setting up the datalog and the way it is presented is just perfect in my mind.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #44
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

Old 06-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #45
Road Trip!

snipers will datalog if you purchase the tuning software, we have a demo you shoud check out one day while you are at the shop.its really not bad software, but its just a tuner as is sct, and predator. all work the same in a handheld operation.and all allow the same changes in tuning trim.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #46
Road Trip!

im just a fan of sct, all there is to it
Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #47
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
snipers will datalog if you purchase the tuning software, we have a demo you shoud check out one day while you are at the shop.its really not bad software, but its just a tuner as is sct, and predator. all work the same in a handheld operation.and all allow the same changes in tuning trim.
But SCT has the FREE software you can download that lets you datalog and see all the pretty guages and graphs..etc.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #48
Road Trip!

and gets it where people will want to knock your teeth out
Old 06-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #49
Road Trip!

ur right about that. we went with sct buy-in first because its more of a name brand preference for alot of people and they have marketed it alot better, sniper tuning will be on the way soon,and we also have tweecer software.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Wow, i just read all of your guys posts since my last one on this topic, and you guys just sealed the deal on confusing the **** out of me! But nonetheless, i will probably go with SCT since i know a guy that has one and loves it.

After some research, they seem more appealing and user friendly for me, plus i can support the site sponsors.
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang