Suggestions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29
Suggestions

Can I get a suggestion on my 04 automatic 3.9 mustang. I got a k&n intake, a leaking exhaust manifold, a single flowmaster w/ a turndown, squeeky suspension with big movements during braking (I own complete set front and rear of TOKICO lowering springs red rating and shocks/struts blue rated...haven't installed. Should I keep system or sell and get something different. How should I prioritize in getting 13.00s? My budget can be 8400 - 10000max. I prefer stay oem body appearance, having something good under the engine. I want to get dual exhaust. Also include about 1300-1600 for rim/tire set. I favor a turbo setup on my v6 but would love a v8 engine. Don't consider NOS. Not sure if to include a rear differential. Gears and T-lok understood to be a must, but 7.5 or 8.8? I'm not sure if my motor is to old and maybe a new (V8) engine maybe better than keeping my 140,000 mi v6. How much can I get if maybe I got good deals on parts and got cheap labor in southern TX? Would appreciate all suggestions, links and quotes. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Suggestions

Yeah, 140k miles might be a bit much to consider going forced induction on it.

I am Procharging my V6, but I only have 1,300 miles on it.

The Texas Mustang Club
bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Order a 4.3L Longblock from SuperSix

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

Quote:
Originally Posted by megax29 View Post
Can I get a suggestion on my 04 automatic 3.9 mustang. I got a k&n intake, a leaking exhaust manifold, a single flowmaster w/ a turndown, squeeky suspension with big movements during braking (I own complete set front and rear of TOKICO lowering springs red rating and shocks/struts blue rated...haven't installed. Should I keep system or sell and get something different. How should I prioritize in getting 13.00s? My budget can be 8400 - 10000max. I prefer stay oem body appearance, having something good under the engine. I want to get dual exhaust. Also include about 1300-1600 for rim/tire set. I favor a turbo setup on my v6 but would love a v8 engine. Don't consider NOS. Not sure if to include a rear differential. Gears and T-lok understood to be a must, but 7.5 or 8.8? I'm not sure if my motor is to old and maybe a new (V8) engine maybe better than keeping my 140,000 mi v6. How much can I get if maybe I got good deals on parts and got cheap labor in southern TX? Would appreciate all suggestions, links and quotes. Thanks in advance.
I would get your suspension fixed first. No point in going faster if your car is all over the place. A 4.3l would be a good feature but it may not pass emissions with that longer stroke. Same with turbo, unless you want to take that chance of not getting caught... If you want a V8 then get an 04 GT with your budget. Hell I got my cobra for around your budget...

I think you need to figure out what you want first. We can go on and on about getting the most out of the V6 but then you might throw in an 8, so that's taking a whole new direction. You've been contemplating this for over a year now. lol...just figure out if you want to keep it a 6 first.

A set of 17's with decent/economic tires can be had for $1300 and less.
Dual exhaust will just cause extra weight and expense at this point

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29

Any ideas in finding a V8 setup?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

If your going to go v8 find a wrecked 99-04 gt and buy it. There are so many parts save yourself the trouble of having to find them one by one, believe me I know.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #7

Region: Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_luv_HP&trq View Post
I would get your suspension fixed first. No point in going faster if your car is all over the place. A 4.3l would be a good feature but it may not pass emissions with that longer stroke. Same with turbo, unless you want to take that chance of not getting caught... If you want a V8 then get an 04 GT with your budget. Hell I got my cobra for around your budget...

I think you need to figure out what you want first. We can go on and on about getting the most out of the V6 but then you might throw in an 8, so that's taking a whole new direction. You've been contemplating this for over a year now. lol...just figure out if you want to keep it a 6 first.

A set of 17's with decent/economic tires can be had for $1300 and less.
Dual exhaust will just cause extra weight and expense at this point

As far as a 4.3L not passing emissions has nothing to do with stroke. If you took all of the emissions components from your stock engine and put them on the 4.3 along with a smoke legal camshaft and a good tune, you should be able to pass emissions test just fine.
Gyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
As far as a 4.3L not passing emissions has nothing to do with stroke. If you took all of the emissions components from your stock engine and put them on the 4.3 along with a smoke legal camshaft and a good tune, you should be able to pass emissions test just fine.
Well once you've lived in Cali and try to do things honest you'll understand how tough it is. A longer stroke does what exactly? Pulls in more air and fuel... I've asked many engine builders and smog shops. Emissions is getting stricter.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang