Car question 1997 Ford mustang v6? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Car question 1997 Ford mustang v6?

Hey all, if anyone can give me an answer I would greatly appreciate it. Today I was driving and my check engine light came on, so I then took it to Advanced to have them check the code. It turned out to be the bank 2 O2 Sensor (i had it replaced 5 or 6 months ago). Well, I live about 15 minutes from advanced and on my way home I noticed it started getting really hot in the car ( not the engine just the cabin). So, I turned the AC on and it blew really warm air for a second and then got cold, then I realized the heat was coming from the center console area from like underneath the center of the car where the parking brake lever is, near the 02 sensor and cat converter. I got scared thinking the car was going to blow up so I would stop every mile or so on the way home to let it cool.

Could the 02 sensor being broken cause the heat? Or. Could the heating of some sort have caused the 02 sensor to go out? It didn't get hot until the "check engine" light came on.
Or is there another possibility???

Thanks guys for your help!
macdhubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The heat from your center console is from your transmission. In a low, rear-wheel drive car like that it isn't too uncommon to feel the transmission's heat as you drive. Check the fluid level in the transmission and make sure the cooler lines for it (going into the bottom of the radiator) aren't leaking. The Cat is too far down and not large enough to feel. If you can, post your exact code. I hate to say it, but although I work at Advance, a lot of our guys, Autozones, etc. and even shops will suggest a bad oxygen sensor when the sensor is throwing a code because it's detecting a problem in the system. If it says "whatever whatever whatever Bank X Sensor X" it means that the sensor is picking something up. A bad oxygen sensor will say something along the lines of "no ckt activity" or "low ckt activity bank x sensor x."
baldur84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

check cat. convertor . sounds like it is stopped up causing it to get super hot. it will glow at night. this sets off 02 sensor behind convertor.
will get hot enough to catch fire if not tended to soon
schmaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i dont think a 02 sensor will heat your car up if i were u id check to make sure your fans are kicking on if they are try your thermostat!
skah is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang