Real Deal about the CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Real Deal about the CAI

Alright, I know this topic has been brought up beyond desire, but I want an honest opinion from you all here at evolution. I am looking at a cheap 80 dollar CAI at American Muscle and a more expensive BBK, etc. one for 180 dollars.

Does the overall effect of a CAI really matter, or is it primarily for show?

Reviews contain people saying that throttle response is better and the car's exhaust note is better and louder on the 80 dollar CAI.

I just want an honest opinion before I buy one.

Thanks
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Re: Real Deal about the CAI

Ebay kits going to do the same thing as a name brand... save the money and buy the ebay kit.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

i installed the $80 cai the other day. on it does a v6 does very little other than save a little gas money. there is not much differnece in my friends bbk and my cheapos actually my car sounds better and runs better than his and that is all that i have upgraded as of yet exhaust and cai my next mission is an eibach lowering kit
02mach6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, pretty much in the same boat with the mods, checked out the eibach pro kit, not a bad price, except for me the install is more than the damn springs!
Old 06-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Thanks, pretty much in the same boat with the mods, checked out the eibach pro kit, not a bad price, except for me the install is more than the damn springs!
Install those *****es yourself... just need a couple jack stands, jack, big socket wrench, and some good ol elbow grease. Grab a friend, take the afternoon and get to work... you'll learn a lot, and its really not hard. Mustangs are so basic when it comes to that suspension setup.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

the pro kit is a nice one too....i have it on my car and love it....it handles well, looks good, and rides good....just go for the install, it really isn't that hard
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

with a cai on a 94-04 v6 you are looking at about 5rwhp and 5rwtq~ maybe a touch more but not much more~ so about a half a tenth of a second~ is it worth it? perhaps... eventually your going to make your money back in gas mileage (a long eventually) and with a tune you can get a bit more~ overall its just a step along the way.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

California has Smog rules cause people to generally pay extra to get a certain id# put on each CAI, which BBK offers. Cops have the right to make you yank it out and Smog shops may not pass it.The ID# which is "tattooed" on the inside of the pipe which show's its California certified. If your car gets the cops attention - they ask you to pop the hood and see that thing, they always ask about it.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

On the CIA- I have never heard of a real difference in the performance of a cheap one vs. a name brand. I gained a good amount of throttle response on mine, a bit better mileage, and it sounded great.
The springs are simple to do. However, I prefer to wait and get coilovers because I can adjust them, and have more control over spring rate and such. Just something to think on.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Quote:
California has Smog rules cause people to generally pay extra to get a certain id# put on each CAI, which BBK offers. Cops have the right to make you yank it out and Smog shops may not pass it.The ID# which is "tattooed" on the inside of the pipe which show's its California certified. If your car gets the cops attention - they ask you to pop the hood and see that thing, they always ask about it.
MAC's cold air intake is CARB legal....i just moved to Cali from PA and already had the intake in my car....i called and talked to a guy at MAC and he said it was 50 state legal and sent me a sticker for it
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I know that the install for the springs isn't hard to do, but doesn't it have to be aligned after the springs?
Old 06-18-2008, 12:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I know that the install for the springs isn't hard to do, but doesn't it have to be aligned after the springs?
I would. If you move your ride height up or down it affects the suspension angles. Just have an appointment scheduled for the day after. You'd be fine. I get lucky, I get half off mine because I do them myself, just use their equipment and tools. $100 for all four vehicles.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yah, unfortunately for me my mechanic who owned the shop was killed in a motorcycle accident last sunday, so now i have to wait. I have the springs, but want to install them at home and then bring it to the shop right after. The shop is going to be closed for a while.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

is there any one brand that's better than the other? I know there's Steeda, Roush, K&N, Injen....anyone ever heard of MossMustang? that's a site I go to to do a lot of my shopping. Several things there I've found cheaper than at others.
girlandherstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlandherstang View Post
is there any one brand that's better than the other? I know there's Steeda, Roush, K&N, Injen....anyone ever heard of MossMustang? that's a site I go to to do a lot of my shopping. Several things there I've found cheaper than at others.
They all work the same

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

What about the Shaker kits? Would this help at all in the top end? Also do you need the factory GT hood for these to work because Id really like to keep my Cobra hood. Sorry if Im jacking the thread.
Scorpion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Damn you for jacking my thread!

No just kidding, you will need the gt hood for the shaker kits, because the mach 1 hood won't line up right on the 3.8. The gt hood is the only one that would look right, none of the cobra hoods would like right. I don't think the shaker kit is worth the 750+ dollars, there are other more beneficial mods for the price, but thats just me
Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Well to answer your first question: All cold air intakes are the same, go to ebay search Item# 290241481257 and it will show you one for 59.95 Buy it Now Price....Save 125.00 or more and be done with it! They work just as well as any I have seen!

As for the springs, if you are going to install them yourself be carefull those springs have a alot of force and and you will need a spring compressor to do it safely and right. Also it would really help to have some one there who has done it before....It will save you time effort and the safety factor will go way up!! Remember anything worth doing on acar is worth doing right and safely!
New Baby:
1989 5.0 5spd Great plans for this monster!
afinley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:21 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

be cautious when buying compressors as well. I picked up an ebay set for when I did my Daytona and they started stripping on the last spring. Basicly throw away tools. The screw part is high quality forged material but the clamps themselves are almost aluminum in quality even though their steel. Just plain junk metal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai