Shifting in an automatic - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Shifting in an automatic

So my tranny is going out. Sometimes from first to second it does a neck breaking jerk that shakes the whole car. I got it diagnosed at a transmission place and try told me that the tranny will take a dump whenever it feels like it. I've been experimenting with manually shifting from 1st to 2nd, then to drive. It shifts smoothe but I'm not sure if it'll mess up my transmission or not. Any comments?
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
shifting up is fine...shifting down is a no no..if it helps you keep the trans running till you can buy a new one go for it
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
shifting up is fine...shifting down is a no no..if it helps you keep the trans running till you can buy a new one go for it
Yeah, I've tried shifting down. It's worse than the kick I get. Thanks. I guess I'll shift till I can afford a transmission
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
shifting up is fine...shifting down is a no no..if it helps you keep the trans running till you can buy a new one go for it
+11.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
So my tranny is going out. Sometimes from first to second it does a neck breaking jerk that shakes the whole car. I got it diagnosed at a transmission place and try told me that the tranny will take a dump whenever it feels like it. I've been experimenting with manually shifting from 1st to 2nd, then to drive. It shifts smoothe but I'm not sure if it'll mess up my transmission or not. Any comments?
My 99 auto had the exact same neck breaking jerk from 1-2 shifts..was told the tranny needed replacing and it was gonna ***** out soon enough..well 2 years and 25k miles later it still held up fine, and I sold it..
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

My 99 auto had the exact same neck breaking jerk from 1-2 shifts..was told the tranny needed replacing and it was gonna ***** out soon enough..well 2 years and 25k miles later it still held up fine, and I sold it..
Yeah I've had that car for a year and a half now and the transmissions been like that but just recently started getting worse. But hell, that tranny sure can take a beating
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Id flush the fluid and look for metal..then refill with nice new fluid and tranny conditioner by lucas.
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:04 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.