4.2 stroker question/confusion.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
4.2 stroker question/confusion..

Hey, I've been reading up a ton on the 4.2 stroker build and I've got the basic idea, but there's a couple details I just can't seem to find a definative answer about.

my idea is to use the block and rotating assembly from a 97 f150 4.2, heads from a 01 mustang 3.8, and the windstar 3.8 intake with the split port/split port mustang heads.

My questions are, is there a benefit to usiing the heads from the mustang or are the heads on the 4.2 split port that will work with the windstar intake?

Which motor do I use the pushrods from or are they the same?

And are the 4.2 and 3.8 blocks the same?

My cars a 95 3.8 5spd btw. Any help is greatly appreciated!
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You don't have to switch to split-port, it is a big hp gain but you can still use your single-port heads and intake. Then do the split-port swap later.

If you do go split-port, you'll need a custom fuel rail.(something about one being a return system and the other being a return-less fuel system)

The heads are the same. and the blocks are the same. you could reuse your 3.8 block and just switch everything to the 4.2 internals.

You will need the 4.2 connecting rods.

You'll also need the 4.2 flywheel and harmonic balancer.

AND BUY A GOOD BRAND OF PISTONS AND CONNECTING RODS!
mine broke on the first start, one of the wrist pins locked up turned the piston sideways in the cylinder.
My dad thought I might need to buy another block(which would suck cause i got this one for free)
we got some extra gaskets out of the deal, they sent us the whole rebuild kit again for free lol. Are local shop said the pistons would do the same thing though so I just switched to another brand called Grumpy's and well it runs pretty good. Alot better than a 160,000+ 3.8.

It sounds alot different, I don't know if its the extra displacement or that I used the 4.2's cam.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I've read about the return/retunless fuel rail setup, from what I can gather from that the 01 mustang top end has the right fuel rail setup for my current car plus its split port. I wanna do the split port at the same time because I've found both motors I need to do the build for a good price but I would just rather be safe than sorry. If the block is the same ill just get a 4.2 short block and rebuild it. I'm going to be doing the build pretty soon because I'm starting to get the overheating issues these mustangs are cursed with...lol 180xxx and I believe the driver side HG is about to go.

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

And I'm sorry to hear about yours going on first start..that had to be a kick in the pants man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Yes get away from the 94-95 blocks, they suck... The way the holes are drilled/threaded on the intake side off where the heads mounts to block are up too high and causes uplift at the gasket surface, the fixed that in the 96+ blocks with the threads deeper in the holes

Unless you're going forged internals or the 4.2 needs a rebuild, don't even mess with it, just drop it right in and mount the heads, intakes, etc. up and roll with it, did the same thing on my car and still kicking 30K mikes under quiet a bit of abuse haha

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

right on lol. yea, again I just figure if its out of the car and I have the opportunity, why not rebuild it and have a basically brand new engine...

Upon further reading, I am going to have to modify a fuel rail unless someone can confirm a f150 or e150 return style working with the 99-01 mustang top end?

And would I need the lower intake mani from a windstar as well or just the upper?

Thanks for the replies so far, as soon as I get all the parts rounded up and can afford a week or so of my car being down Ill try to do a full build thread so people with the same questions have a pictured step by step.

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

What kind of power gains did you guys see with the stroker and/or split port conversion?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have a return style fuel rail here I pulled off the f150 motor I yanked from junkyard, not sure how it'd fit with the Windstar but if you wanna try you're welcome to it

Just need the upper intake and a few miscellaneous things to go with it off the Windstar

After the swap you'll be on par with the hp/tq of an f150, 202/250 is the ford rating (crank) just for a 4.2 splitport

by the way since the motor would be out this is a great time to get long tubes since install will be extremely easy

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 01-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I've been considering a good set of LT's, any particular brand you'd reccomend? And the first guy that replied said about the sound being different? For better or for worse?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

And davidcseifert, I might take you up on the rail, ill definately let you know in the coming weeks.

Do you know if there's a difference between the 4.2 split port heads and lower intake and the 3.8 mustang split port heads and lower intake? Or are the heads the same as well? If the heads are the same I really wouldn't have any reason to buy the mustang top end, could redirect that money to go fast parts haha
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post
I've been considering a good set of LT's, any particular brand you'd reccomend? And the first guy that replied said about the sound being different? For better or for worse?
I personally have pacesetters but either them or MAC make a good set, pacesetter was just a lot cheaper haha more displacement a hair deeper sound perhaps, I couldn't make out a large difference enough to blame on the 4.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post
And davidcseifert, I might take you up on the rail, ill definately let you know in the coming weeks.

Do you know if there's a difference between the 4.2 split port heads and lower intake and the 3.8 mustang split port heads and lower intake? Or are the heads the same as well? If the heads are the same I really wouldn't have any reason to buy the mustang top end, could redirect that money to go fast parts haha
Just let me know, its up at my friends place with my spare short block

Heads are exactly the same, lower intakes are different though, also note there is a difference in the 99&00 lower intakes and 01-04 lowers as the older two years had a coolant temp sensor in the intake and the newer ones did not, the 01-04 models had a "cylinder head temp sensor" it was located on the back of drivers see head, the trucks have a tube that sticks up in the front, I believe it's possible to modify it to make it work but it's less hassle just buying a stock mustang lower

blower/new cam soon
Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, yeah I was wondering about the temp sensors, some say to jb weld and delete them, but id rather just go with the mustang lower/windstar upper and f150 heads because that'll make things quite easier and cheaper because of the place I'm going to buying the engine.

I wouldn't mind a little deeper sound, maybe some more growl. Right now I have true dual flowmaster 50s with o/r x-pipe and I think 18" FM tips with my stock 3.8, and it sounds good. Not too loud at idle, no drone and it really wakes up when I put my foot in it lol.

Thanks a ton for all the info you guys! Really helped clear things up!

I do have one more question that I just thought of today.. being that my cars a 5 speed, what year/model flywheel and clutch should I use?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

from the 4.2 swap thread

94-98 Single port

- 4.2 shortblock
- Mustang 3.8 water pump
- Auto trans = 4.2 or 01-up flexplate
- 5spd = 01-up or rebalanced 3.8 (0 or neutral) flywheel and a pilot bearing
- V6 Mustang bellhousing
- Re-use your stock cam position sensor
- 01-up 3.8 oil pan
- 01-up 3.8 oil pick-up tube and screen
- 4.2 damper or 01-up 3.8 damper (use the 01 pulley for blower cars)
- Re-use the stock 3.8 oil pressure sender and tube
- Re-use the Mustang headers
- You can use the 4.2 or 3.8 dipstick. Just keep track of where 5 qts puts the mark when refilling with oil.

blower/new cam soon
Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

that swap thread has been what I've been going off the most, I must have missed about the clutch. thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang