Cant get my trunk open, any tips/tricks? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Cant get my trunk open, any tips/tricks?

The previous owner backed up into his dads jeep and caved in the rear bumper and looks like he jarred the trunk lid, there's no visible hard damage, looks like I should be able to just replace the trunk lid and bumper and call it a day. But I can't get the trunk to open. I can hear the mechanism pop when I push the button in the glovebox and on my key fob but it will not give.. any ideas? I've thought about trying to undo the hinges from inside the trunk and muscle it out but I don't want to risk doing any more damage.. I need my trunk haha
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Lower the rear seats and crawl through and see if something is jamming the mechanism
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ill crawl in and check it out once here in a few, its going to be interesting, I'm a pretty large dude lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Lol ya crawl with caution
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mine old one wouldnt open because i closed it over a shirt once and it got jammed... i lowerd the seats crawled in with a flashlight and took it apart till it poped open... go inside and see if there is anything jammed
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, I'm gonna get in there and check her out, see if there's anything that can be done to straighten out the couple dents on the trunk lid instead of buying a new one. Might have my lady friend help me out, she's pretty good with cars too and a hell of a lot smaller than me haha

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Gonna have to wait til the morning though, its already dark here in Ohio.. ill post what I find once I get in there and check it out.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Haha nice! I wish my girlfriend knew about cars
Old 01-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

it definately helps sometimes lol
Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman92 View Post
Lower the rear seats and crawl through and see if something is jamming the mechanism

LoL!! You took the words right out of my mouth! I decided not to open my mouth because I know very little about pre 05's.

Joey18

I know what you mean! My husband knows how to drive a car, nothing else!! He hates even talking about cars.
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

SCCofSV

sounds like my mom and dad, my mom built old school v8s and did 1/4 mile drag and my dad could barely do spark plugs lol
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang
SCCofSV

sounds like my mom and dad, my mom built old school v8s and did 1/4 mile drag and my dad could barely do spark plugs lol
Dang! Talk about killing stereotypes!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

No kidding lol
Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

*UPDATE*
Got the trunk open yesterday and was saddened deeply at what I saw..
The entire rear trunk pan geometry was f*%$ed all up and pushed in a couple of inches..

Ended up taking the entire rear end of the car apart and started straightening everything out. Got it pulled back into alignment enough to make the trunk functional, going to be heating the bumper up and reforming it today, I'm going to wait until I buy a new trunk lid to finish massaging the trunk pan out because the trunk lids been bent and formed so ill form the trunk pan around a lid I know is straight and in good shape.

Ill post some pics in progress once I get them on my comp.

(Used my jeep with a locked up diff, wrapped rope thru the hitch and thru the bolt holes in the back end of the stang on bars and boards inside the trunk and drove the stang forward as some sort of redneck frame puller lol)
Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

here's the pics, the ones without rope are what I saw after getting trunk open and bumper off

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130120_065452.png
Views:	217
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	86476

Name:	ForumRunner_20130120_065521.png
Views:	229
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	86477

Name:	ForumRunner_20130120_065543.png
Views:	221
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	86478

Name:	ForumRunner_20130120_065603.png
Views:	164
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	86479

Name:	ForumRunner_20130120_065623.png
Views:	212
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	86480
Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
This... Sounds like pretty serious damage. You may want to consult a professional body shop.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Me and several of my friends did collision repair at a vocational school in highschool. It actually looks worse than it was, its nearly straightened out. Bout 3/4 inch more massaging and it'll be good, I did some more work after the last couple pics.

I talked to a local body guy I worked with when I was in school and his advice was, if you can do it, why pay someone 1200 bucks to do it for you? Lol

Ill keep posting pics and updates as I get more work done, I've been pretty busy this last week or so..
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

UPDATE

With weather and work schedule being the way its been, I haven't had a chance to do much more with the rear end.. had it looked at by a very well respected local body man and he doesn't think its nessicary to take the car to a shop to have anything done. We'll be finishing straightening out the rear panel where the bumper and trunk latch bolt in the next couple days weather permitting.
Still trying to find a good trunk lid and rear bumper, the junkyards around want upwards of 125 bucks each piece so I'm watching craigslist for a part out to jump on...I think 125 bucks for used pieces like that's a little rediculous..
Any input or tips/tricks are greatly appreciated, ill definately post up progress and before/after pics. Hopefully this might help some that are mechanically inclined to fix their baby without getting reamed at the body shop.. (sorry for the book, haven't been on the forums in a while lol)
Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang
UPDATE

With weather and work schedule being the way its been, I haven't had a chance to do much more with the rear end.. had it looked at by a very well respected local body man and he doesn't think its nessicary to take the car to a shop to have anything done. We'll be finishing straightening out the rear panel where the bumper and trunk latch bolt in the next couple days weather permitting.
Still trying to find a good trunk lid and rear bumper, the junkyards around want upwards of 125 bucks each piece so I'm watching craigslist for a part out to jump on...I think 125 bucks for used pieces like that's a little rediculous..
Any input or tips/tricks are greatly appreciated, ill definately post up progress and before/after pics. Hopefully this might help some that are mechanically inclined to fix their baby without getting reamed at the body shop.. (sorry for the book, haven't been on the forums in a while lol)
Nice! Hope all goes well
Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man, I do too! Lol working with a ghettofied frame puller (broke down jeep with a hitch) haha
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Long time since an update... been real busy past few weeks.
Well, I went and got my bumper and new trunk lid, scored a great deal on the pair and they're the same color as my car faded...but same color lol

Later this week I'm going to finish the metal work and get everything flushed up.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
How bad are they faded ? My friend had a huge scratch from his ex keying his car and a faded trunk. I used a buffing pad from 3M HL restoration kit, Meguiars 2x scratch remover (kinda like a rubbing compound) and black wax and it turned out really good. Try and do it on a warm day so the paint is heated up, move it to a shady place (garage/under a tree/carport) and try to buff it out. Should work
Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

The trunk lid has some minor paint chips around where the spoiler mounts, and the spoiler and rear bumper are pretty faded lol

Ill give that a shot, if nothing else, I may just plastidip it until I decide what color I want to respray it

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

And warm days are few and far between around here right now lol. It'll be another 3-4 weeks til we see 60 degrees haha
Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

If you have a heat gun and a garage. Or better yet, a coffee table LOL heat up the paint. Just enough to warm it, not bake it, and use a decent rubbing compound or polish and hit it with a little buffing pad. During this a little bit will go a loooong way. Use too much and you'll be flinging the stuff everywhere. Buff a section around 3-5 mins, let it glaze up and wipe off. It worked pretty good for me, especially when taking off spoilers. That crap under there doesn't like to come up at all lol
Old 02-15-2013, 02:30 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The gunk under the spoiler that's been baked and frozen on since the dawn of time? Lol

Ill give it a shot. Worked well for my old firebird, may do the trick with this one
Old 02-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I did an 02' GT not to long ago, made it look almost like the spoiler was never installed lol. It surprised me quite a bit
Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, ill figure something out.
Had a guy hit me up today, he's got a 96 supercharged with a complete super coupe swap. I'm gonna go check it out tonight, he wants to trade straight up for my 95 to do a 5.0 swap..

If its legit, I might have to change my screen name to ForestGreenStang lol
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Just got the rear end straightened out.. sorry for taking so long, today was my first day off in 24 days lol. And weather has succkkkeed around here.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130326_193025.png
Views:	182
Size:	686.9 KB
ID:	98612

Name:	ForumRunner_20130326_193041.png
Views:	189
Size:	675.3 KB
ID:	98613

Name:	ForumRunner_20130326_193046.png
Views:	177
Size:	575.3 KB
ID:	98614

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang