most rwhp on a stock 3.8 auto? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
most rwhp on a stock 3.8 auto?

hey guys what is the MOST rwhp that can be seen on a stock 3.8 block with an automatic transmission? i would like to see 230rwhp, but im being told that 220rwhp is the max. anyway here are the mods that i have done/ planning to do:

k&n air intake
65mm halfshafted throttle body
ported upper
ported lower with egr delete and imrc removed
cnc ported cylinder heads with comp springs for .600 lift
harland sharp 1.73 roller rockers
pushrods
comp 224/224 billet cam with a 112lsa and .548 lift
arp head studs
bbk shorty headers
off-road h-pipe
flowmaster dual exhaust
dyno tune
asp 25% underdrive pulley
screamin demon coil pack
livewires
autolite spark plugs

this is everything i think can be done performance wise without using long tubes. if im missing something please let me know. so is 230rwhp reasonable with these mods? ill also be looking to extend my redline and shift points over 6000 rpm and ill be using 93 octane. i was debating on a boost cooler but i dont know if it will help an n/a car like mine.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Re: most rwhp on a stock 3.8 auto?

It depends on who ports the intakes and who does the headwork. Stuff like a coilpack is unnecessary and a waste of money. The factory coil pack is more than hot enough for any street/strip application. Be forwarned that a radical cam will shake the car something fierce. My car lopes pretty hard with my setup. Shift point over 6000 is not recommended unless you are going to do some massive valvetrain project. The power gains are not there above 6000 in a street car anyway unless you build a solid motor from the ground up and that can be costly. But numbers require dyno's.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Road Trip!

the power to rpm ratio is determined by the cam , if you buy a cam for high rpms, then it will make power there, the valvetrain with those springs can go to 7000rpm, the bottomend is what is gonna limit you, leave the rpms where they are at because your bottom end will come apart soon after that.if you want the max porting out of the heads,get them extrude honed.if you get a cam and the car doesent lope, send that ***** back with dog **** in the box.before you buy a comp cam, call cam motions and get a price on a custom cut cam, and get it built for exactly what you want.i have a friend that works there and he cuts us custom blower cams for cobras that make sick power.once you go bigger cam, you will want the hotter coil to ingite the extra fuel better.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

His cam is already at his house. We'll know if it lopes when we install it in sept.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Road Trip!

it should tell you a reccomended rpm range where he bought it from.for instance the trickflow stage 2 makes power to 6800rpm where as a comp cam with comparable specs may only make power to 5800

btw rob, the custom cams may be something to think about... he has made 200+hp improvements on applications like yours with his cams and his head porting, im going that route after the procharger, mini-tubb and cage...should put me deep 9s with the auto
Old 06-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
it should tell you a reccomended rpm range where he bought it from.for instance the trickflow stage 2 makes power to 6800rpm where as a comp cam with comparable specs may only make power to 5800

btw rob, the custom cams may be something to think about... he has made 200+hp improvements on applications like yours with his cams and his head porting, im going that route after the procharger, mini-tubb and cage...should put me deep 9s with the auto
You are talking about V8 engines going to 7,000 rpm. 3.8's unless you build the bottom end will come apart at 7,000 rpm. This is common knowledge in the 3.8 community. The cam is also only going to make the power if it has the airflow to build that HP. A high performance cam on relatively stock intakes or heads will do nothing but kill power.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

edit...I see it is not public info at the moment...so this reply does not exist.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

well the heads are coming from a very good source. the flow 253 cfm on the intake and 170 on the exhaust side at a .600 lift. they are cnc ported so the numbers will be very accurate. he told me this cam is a great choice for my application and any power adder in the future. he also said the cam would sound mean but not too lopey.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Hmm....ok, so I could have left my post up there then. You didn't list it in your original post and I saw you keeping secrets in another thread.

Edit...never mind...I just can't read at all today...I even copied it in my original post....time for bed I think.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
You are talking about V8 engines going to 7,000 rpm. 3.8's unless you build the bottom end will come apart at 7,000 rpm. This is common knowledge in the 3.8 community. The cam is also only going to make the power if it has the airflow to build that HP. A high performance cam on relatively stock intakes or heads will do nothing but kill power.
i already knew he was doing heads and intake being how he priced everything through our shop,i wasent saying the stock engine would go 7000rpm, i said his valvetrain that he will have will go that, his bottom-end will not hold much more than the stock rev limit. my point was that his bottom end is limiting his rpm capabilities.last time i tried it, my stock bottomend v8 came apart at 7000rpm too now my built 4.6 sees 7000rpm about 3 times a week.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang