blown head gaskets - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #1

Region: Florida
blown head gaskets

any body know if there is a way 2 check heads 2 c if they are warped without going 2 a machine shop and do u have to tear down the rest of the block or is there a way 2 just flush it out i have the heads off so no starting the motor 95 mustang 3.8v6 5speed any ideas or thoughts maybe personal experence
fjh321321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Re: blown head gaskets

since you have the heads off....if you can get straight edge you can use a feeler gauge to see if they're warped....go corner to corner, up and down on the ends and between each combustion chamber, and go left to right a the top and bottom....you're supposed to use a machinist straight edge because they're perfectly level but see what you can do
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana

if the motor is on a stand, you can turn it sideways and remove te oil pan and spray everything clean with carb cleaner, if it is in the car, they make an oil flush that you run in it for a few minutes then it will clear it up a little, if its still in the car do the oil flush once,drain and fill with oil, run it til its hott, drain the oil and repeat with the flush but leave the oil in the second time. the rest will be removed throughout time with oil changes.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

You dont only need to check the heads but also the upper block surface. The surface should be smooth to the touch. Also since 95's are very prone to head gasket failures be sure to use a gasket for a 99+ 3.8. They are simply the best gaskets for any 3.8 motor. Since the block is steel it should not be warped but a straigh edge check will do the trick.

For flushing the engine with heads off, If you have large amounts of water in the crank case drain it. If tyhe engine was run any lenght of time with water i the oil the oil will be a milkshake color. Next drain the radiator and remove the the the hose that goes to the waterpump. Next plug or tape, using aluminum tape all the water passages on the block surface. This is not necessary but it prevent water from splashing back into the cylinders. Now you can use Kerosene and pour it in the intake valley be sure to pour it evenly through all oil passages.Use about a gallon or so. Be sure to clean throughly the cylinder, use a shop vac if you have one to vacuum any debris out be sure to clean the cylinder walls with some Kerosene and then take a rage saturated with engine oil and wipe with the oil soaked rag Take old 2 large cotton bath towels or a large plastic sheet and lay them over both sides of the block surface and intake valley.The towels will soak up any Kerosene that might sling up. or if you dont mind some splatter dont bother covering it. Now go to the fuse box and pull the fuel pump fuse and with the Kerosene in the oil pan let the engine turn over a dozen times. The Kerosene will displace the water and clean off the crank and lubricate the bearings. Kerosene will leave a protective barrier on the metal surfaces and bearings. Drain the kerosene. Cover cyliners with tape or cover to prevent anything from falling in them. Before reinstalling the heads make sure you have cleaned the block deck surface completely off or you will have another failure. Use a scraper and Scotch brite pads from a hardware store. The surface should be smooth to the touch. Also since 95's are very prone to head gasket failures be sure to use a gasket for a 99+ 3.8. They are simply the best gaskets for any 3.8 motor.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Also to further prevent any other failures it's a good idea to coat your new head gaskets in Copper Spray-a-gasket. Permatex makes it and it's been proven to eliminate hot spots and promote better sealing. Plus it will help the gasket stay down cause even with the head dowels they can move around a little when your torquing them down.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh View Post
Also to further prevent any other failures it's a good idea to coat your new head gaskets in Copper Spray-a-gasket. Permatex makes it and it's been proven to eliminate hot spots and promote better sealing. Plus it will help the gasket stay down cause even with the head dowels they can move around a little when your torquing them down.
That is a truism. Glad you mentioned it.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #7

Region: Missouri

does any one out there know what the interchangeability is between an 99 3.8 and the 02 3.8 i have them side by side and i know i have to change parts on the egr system but the wiring harness has 29 prongs on the 99 and 30 on the 02, the main harness , i was hoping to use the new harness due to the fact mine had a couple of problems but once in the car trying to change them out would be almost impsooible, and i am not aginst doing it now but i want to solve all my problems.. thanks
steve14176 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang