8.8 or 9" rear? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: 8.8 or 9" rear?

It's not DD material without some work, it's a rescue, but a miracle rescue. It need wiring and an engine and tranny rebuild. When I say minus interior, I mean EVERYTHING.

I think I'm gonna have to swing out to BR when I get in from offshore. I gotta go to Thunder Racing to pick up my new exhaust anyway!
RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #72
Road Trip!

flood car???
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

yup, but amazingly, no rust or anything. Only has 19k miles on it too. I found the originaly owner and everything.

It's actually not a bad rebuild if someone had a totalled 01+ GT, probably take a week for a regular person to swap everything over.

I was gonna at least do that, but the 6er and gf has sucked up all the extras lol
RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #74
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
ok, here goes...the procharger is way more efficient than the m112, if need be the case ill put an f1 on kyles car but since the d1 is efficient from like 15-26 psi i dont think we will need anything but a d1. the d1 on my combination with the race intercooler at 20ps1 is good for 800+ crank hp, im sure it can do 600 on a v6..dont believe me??watch and learn...
eatons only make XX power period, it cant produce more power on a v6 than a v8..it maxes at a set number of horses. as far as porting...i have a customer who lost boost because of porting his heads with no other change so he upped the pulley, the air slides through the motor quicker so it doesent hold it as boost as long which is definitly a good thing.

how complete is the bullet chassis?
Still wont break 600 with the F1, was taking too much power to turn an F1. Its been tried. The guy switched to a turbonetics y2k 80 and is now making 660rwhp no problems.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #75
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Welp, it's settled. I'm taking out that POS inefficient 4v cobra motor and getting me a 3.8L so I can make 600 hp with my ported eaton. Hell, it's ported, I should be able to make 650 then.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #76
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Welp, it's settled. I'm taking out that POS inefficient 4v cobra motor and getting me a 3.8L so I can make 600 hp with my ported eaton. Hell, it's ported, I should be able to make 650 then.

Lol... Yeah I'm not sure how that works honesty. I know guys take off the eatons on the cobras and go with prochargers all the time.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #77
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Uh..."All the time"? Not so sure about that one. An "all the time" statement would be whipples, kenne bells, and turbos. But prochargers? Not so much. I know there was one kit that couldn't keep belts on the car once upon a time and it was basically just one bit pile o turd. And I think in all my time on SVTP, I think I have only see 1 03/04 cobra with a procharger on it.

Maybe it's a texas thing...and maybe I need to get my car on that dyno that put down 600 on that v6 with the eaton. I would like to get my 650-700 dyno sheet on my current setup.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #78
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Uh..."All the time"? Not so sure about that one. An "all the time" statement would be whipples, kenne bells, and turbos. But prochargers? Not so much. I know there was one kit that couldn't keep belts on the car once upon a time and it was basically just one bit pile o turd. And I think in all my time on SVTP, I think I have only see 1 03/04 cobra with a procharger on it.

Maybe it's a texas thing...and maybe I need to get my car on that dyno that put down 600 on that v6 with the eaton. I would like to get my 650-700 dyno sheet on my current setup.
I've seen a few actually..
Saw an 03 with a vortech about 2 weeks ago in houston that surprised me. But the guy who is making 600 out of the eaton isn't from TX i think MN one of the guys who came up with the m112 kit on the v6.

The way to HP is turbo! Or you could try crazy and do the kb v6... Haven't seen it yet.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #79

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to quikstang2 Send a message via MSN to quikstang2 Send a message via Yahoo to quikstang2 Send a message via Skype™ to quikstang2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
lowered trucks often bottom out the yoke on the driveshaft which pushes pressure on the pinion and causes premature wear and noise, the bronco goes offroad...it could have tweaked something the first time and caused it to fail later. the same 600hp whipple cobra i spoke of earlier has an 8.8 with 31 spline chunk out of an 05 mustang and its fine.mine stands up to 5000 rpm clutch dumps while dead hooking,at least the internals did ..for now
That's pretty sad if a F150 lowered a couple inches has diff failure and my Ranger dropped 4/5 with a 7.5 has no issues.
True, the Bronco could have hurt the first one offroad and let it fail years later. The second one failed all on it's own, street driven.
There's still a gaggle of other trucks that are dead stock that have rear ends about ready to lock up. I know it's a common problem on the newer Explorers.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:25 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
I've seen a few actually..
Saw an 03 with a vortech about 2 weeks ago in houston that surprised me. But the guy who is making 600 out of the eaton isn't from TX i think MN one of the guys who came up with the m112 kit on the v6.

The way to HP is turbo! Or you could try crazy and do the kb v6... Haven't seen it yet.
Whats the idea behind the KB v6? I take it a modded mani would be require to fit it? I cant seem to find the M112, maybe Im blind lol. Ive found several M90's including one on ebay for $182 on ebay no reserve complete kit. I really like the idea of a roots or twin screw type supercharger to keep the old school look under the hood, even if it is a V6. I do appologize as I confused the centrifugal with the roots type erlier in the post.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #81
Road Trip!

i have a stock m112 on the shelf

the procharger doesent take any more power ro turn than the eaton...in fact i think the eaton has a worse gear reduction. i can see what you mean by going turbo.prochargers are dyno proven to produce 70% hp gain at 15psi
rob> there are actually a good number of people going from eaton to procharger for the efficiency.. thats what i orginially built my motor for.
as far as the theory that the eaton makes more on a v6 because it has to boost less cyinders, a very wise man brought up something to me yesterday.cyinders are what makes power, missing two is also hurting the power and you have to make the power loss up with boost in the other 6... but if this theory were true..a 2cyl with an eaton m112 would be plain SICK!!!!

rearends: yes a ranger and an f150 are diffwerent vehicles, some do and some dont but its because of the reason stated earlier about putting the pinion in a bind.we build at least (3) 8.8s a week and have no complaints.if the bronco mis lifted, same issue with the pinion.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

i always knew i could count on this site for great laughs. LOL. thanks. so on my next car i need to get the most inefficent blower (roots type) on an engine that blows head gaskets in stock form, put about 30 psi on it with pump gas, and i should make 1000hp, that is streetable. oh and i need a 9in behind a v6 because a 8.8 won't hold up. LOL. do the world a favor and get your nuts clipped before you spread your genes around. god forbid we have a world full of people that think as backwards as you do. but i do appreciate the good laugh.
Spark Plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Id hate to have to wait for boost just to see any power gains. Turbos are deff the most efficient way to make power but only in high rpm/speed applications unless your using a small turbo for quick spool. Even the tona with a Garrett T03 didnt really pick up till 3200rpms in THIRD. Personally I want to use the mustangs quick launch to my advantage and power off the line to discourage high speed runs. I wouldnt mind a centrifugal but I just cant get past the fact that I personally think their just plain ugly under the hood. At that point Id rather turbocharge it and deal with all the lag. Is their a twin screw kit for the 3.8?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #84
Road Trip!

how fast did yalls race car go on an 8.8? 7s?????>>>>>>>im not impressed!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #85
Road Trip!

you can get the boost earlier by running a smaller exhaust housing or routting the bov into the turbo intake and itll have instant boost in every gear except the bottom of 1st (where you dont need it)
Old 07-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #86
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

vortech hatas......
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #87
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun JungleBoy View Post
vortech hatas......
no.... we are talking about making power,not noises
Old 07-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #88
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

nothing greater than the screams of a kenny bell and the whistling of my tornado

hey btw, got the exhaust coming in (won't be here intime for tomorrow), and my quadrant, firewall adjuster, and new cable for my clutch today. so you gonna runs its?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know anything about Cryo kits? Since the M112 cant be intercooled I was wondering if properly placing and running a cryo kit would help keep things cooler.

As far as constantly blowing gaskets whats up with that? Ive had this car 3 weeks and put just shy of 3k on the clock beating the crap out of it half the time on a high mileage motor with 0 issues, and as far as the 8.8 or 9" question was because I heard that the 9" is the best bang for the buck short of an aftermarket rear end. I like overkill to make sure itll hold up. Im doing alot of learning in a short period of time so excuse any noob comments/questions
Old 07-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #90
Road Trip!

they had a 1200rwhp N/A mustang on slicks running a 31 spline 8.8 for 2 years i think, and it made nitrous passes. a 9" is heavier and really is overkill, as far as price, thae are not cheap by any means...buy you a stock 8.8 and run it, upgrade it to 31 spline as you upgrade the car. you will spend $1100 building a 9" that is worth a ****,where you could get a stock 8.8 afor about 400 and upgrade a little as you go and be just as strong.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Im assuming any 8.8 will bolt up or only specific years? I only ask because I know where I can get one for about $100 but I have no idea what it came from or what year ect. My buddy is also planning on upgrading to a 9" on his GT and would sell me his 8.8 as well (Same gen GT)
Old 07-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #92
Road Trip!

any 99-04 mustang rearend will bolt up, an older one will too but they are a little shorter.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

yeah it was a 3500lb car. stock style rear suspension, 8.8 that was welded and braced. motorsport gears, t/a stud girdle, 31 spline axles with spool and c-clip elims. never broke an axle, pulled 1.3 60fts on the back tires. ran 5.2 @ 148 in the 1/8th mile. yeah i think a 8.8 will hold up. yes a 9in is stronger but an 8.8 is easier to find and will bolt right in. and a properly built motor designed for a turbo combined with the right turbo will have little to no lag. alot of lag is a result of an improper combination.

and ya might have seen our car around on the internet, here is prob the most famous picture. OH and it's a big block chevy.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:49 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Ive always wanted to drop a BB chevy into something (specificily the 572 hehe) just cant convince myself to do it with these gas prices right now or I would have just gotten a GT and called it a day lol. Havent seen the car before but it looks like you might need some more chasis bracing (looks sick though) so an 8.8 with 3.55's and now, attempt the KB or grab an M112 kit... There wont be much luck turning me from a supercharger as I already have a turbo car. My goal is to make at LEAST 500hp on a dyno and have the ability to walk my buddies 3kgt vr4 (one of the main reasons I want to supercharge) so I need low end power to outlaunch this awd beast, at least till he breaks the trans or something else hehe.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #95
Road Trip!

bah just be ready to buy a new motor....especially non intercooled
Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #96
Road Trip!

around here a 572 isnt a very "big" block those guys play with 600+ci, then boost or spray the **** out of it.oh, and ^^^thats a streetable car.

the video of when that picture was taken shows it lay on the rear bumper 3 times and the rear tires left the ground every time.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

the anti roll bar sheared a bolt which is why is twisted like that. hear is a lil vid of it. and again this is all on a 8.8.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #98
Road Trip!

between me and sparkplug, we have built and blown up as many engines,transmissions and rearends as john force.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #99
Road Trip!

hahaha it never gets old, probly watched it a hundred times lol
Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

lol very nice, I must agree that doesnt get old haha. As far as "new motor" Im just going to refresh the one thats in it (im buying a second motor to build from the ground up)
For the built motor im looking to give it a .020 over low compression forged pistons and rods. Still havent found what crank to go with and Im having trouble locating cams for the 6. The heads will be large valve port/polish jobs and hopefully I can score some ARP hardware to hold it all together. I was never good with injectors so Im still looking at what cc id need for 500hp, and btw I dont need to make all 500hp on the supercharger alone, something tells me Ill end up spraying this motor with more than a cryo kit.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #101
Road Trip!

id go 42 or 60 for the injectors, nitrous is your fr-wii-end!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #102
Road Trip!

lets nitrous my motor jarrod.... and throw in a z-cam
Old 07-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #103
Road Trip!

ill throw the z cam in the trash!!! i got nitrous for sale right now.direct port then your **** will be sick...
Old 07-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

yea, i have lots of friends, who deal with alot of race motors, one builds some perty high end stuff. our camshaft was 1.09 lift, got a buddy who has a 467 all aluminum SMALL block.

that's alot of time and money in a v6. i'd turbo a v6 beforei i'd supercharge one. case and point. Grand National.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun JungleBoy View Post
lets nitrous my motor jarrod.... and throw in a z-cam

i think you should turn your boost up to 15lbs, and spray it with 150hp on pump gas too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang