8.8 or 9" rear? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
8.8 or 9" rear?

Im lookin to get three things done by the end of this summer.
I want a "posi" or LS rear end. Ive seen alot of talk about the 8.8 in the V6 Mustangs but what about the 9"? Also which ones came with the Tlock or are they all this way? Details of what all goes into the rear swap would also be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, do they make long tube headers for the V6? Ive seen the BBK shorties but Id like to go with long tubes to keep my low end torque at its best along with a 2.5" w/ high flow cats and cherry bomb extreme mufflers.

Third. The transmission in this car seems a little shady at times (sounds like a very quiet/mild grind right after clutch engagement in second, I think its gonna go sometime in the next year) so Id like to install a better, stronger transmission. Ive seen built ones that are supposed to handle like 500hp. So whats a good transmission to go with, along with clutch kit and flywheel(since I might as well do it all at once) 5Spd
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Re: 8.8 or 9" rear?

depending on your mods if you even need a 8.8,a 7" may be fine depending on what power you plan to make, a 9" would be extreme overkill for your car. a stock 8.8 would probably be sufficient no matter what your plans are,our terminator 96 cobra has a stock 8.8sra and makes 449 rwhp. and it is still fine.if you do break a stock 8.8, then just upgrade it to 31 spline and you will not break that.all of the 8.8s are trac lock.the swap is pretty much a bolt in deal, you kust have to run gt rear brakes or do a bracket change on the rearend.

i think kyle has longtubes on his, i know they make them though.

i havent done many v6 transmissions but i would have yours upgraded if they can handle 500 hp. what are your plans for the car?
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

The 8.8 will be more than enough. For the transmission, I'd recommend a G-Force T5 if you really plan on making that much power.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Mac makes long tubes for the V6 also kooks custom headers

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post

i think kyle has longtubes on his, i know they make them though.
Kyle has stock manifolds.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Road Trip!

damn, i saw longtubes on somebodys v6
Old 06-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well right now I have two options. I can get a 4.6 with 30k and build IT(buddy would give it to me for $1500) but Im not sure Id have the money in time so chances are Ill just build a 3.8 to replace my high mileage one. Id be looking at the following mods (generalized)

.20 over low compression forged internals
high volume oiling system
upgrade cooling system
more fuel/spark
turbo/supercharged (still debating, most likely supercharged if I can find a centrifugal type for the 3.8)
ported intake/exhaust with built heads and mild cams
large bore TB ect ect.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Road Trip!

procharger makes a nice centrifugal but 4.6 has more potential, either way a stock 8.8 will be plenty.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

alright so what gear comes with the 8.8, and should I conisder upgrading?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
Road Trip!

either 3.27 or 3.55 will come with the rearend depending on the year, but in my personal opinion id run 4.10s, 3.73 at least.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

4.10's it is. Whats the benifit of putting in higher rear gears? (its been a while since Ive delt with gears and what not haha). Also, I just thought about it, would a 6spd trans bolt up to the 3.8? Or am I stuck with T5/T45 transmissions?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #12
Road Trip!

the bigger gears will make you accelerate faster...to be honest with you, i havent paid attention to the bellhousings. somebody may make a conversion..if you are interested in a t56, let me know i may sell mine.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

So you know, you'll need a lot more than just the motor to swap a 4.6 into a v6 body. You need all the wiring harnesses, a GT computer, the fuel system may be different too, I'm not sure if the GT is returnless fuel rail or not. Usually the only way you'll be able to do the swap cheaper than just buying a GT, is to have a donor car (a wrecked one that the motor is good in) and start swapping parts.
Oh, the GT motor is heavier too, I believe, so stiffer suspension in front would be needed too.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:19 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yea my buddy and I were comparing my 3.8 and his 4.6 engine bay nd weights ect. ect. and Ive decided Im just gonna hit up the local yards to see if I cant find a 3.8 and build that from the ground up. If I can find one at one of the local U Pull Its on a SPECIALS day I could most likely pick it up for about $60. The only real issue is finding a trans thats good for over 600hp. Chances are Ill be shooting for low 800's and see just how far I can get with it. Though if the transmissions going to limit me to 500 I may just have to give up there, which would suck.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 AM   #15
Road Trip!

suspension is fine, and kmember is fine, wiring harness, ecm amd motr/trans,and fuel system has to be swapped..for a sohc, its fairly cheap to aquire parts
Old 07-04-2008, 02:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I thought the factory GT 5spd could swap into the V6 and vice versa? or is the T5 and T45 both V6 transmissions? whats the diff.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Don't do a 4.6L swap, its not worth it cost wise: Sell your car and buy a GT.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Get an 8.8, a spec clutch, long tubes, and slap an Eaton M112 on there. Most cost effective means of Forced Induction.
RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

well I dont trust the high mileage on the motor thats in the car to hold up for a long enough time so Im digging through the junkyards for a 3.8 block, heads and crank, or do they make forged cranks for the 3.8? Im building a fresh forged motor.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:49 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

A stock 4.2 crank will probably hold more power than you're willing to pay for.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:13 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

well Im planning on spanning the build out over the next year or two, if I get antsy Ill throw on a 50 shot and a tune until the new motors ready but I want to do it right the first time. So while Im digging I should look for a 4.2 crank for the 3.8 and have it turned?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #22
Road Trip!

i think your gonna have a hard time making 800 hp with the 3.8...reason i say that is im planning on making that with a procharger at 20 psi on my cobra motor.and you cant run much more than 20 psi on pumpgas.and ive been putting together combinations to run in kyles car, anything over 450-500 hp cost so much you might as well just go buy a cobra because the build-up will cost you $10,000...and the 4.6 swap is not very expensive, probably cheaper than buying a gt.and its not a hard swap.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #23
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

****, kyle's plans sound like they are going to easily push the 10-15k mark...specially when you include labor since he won't do any of it at my house.

And 20 psi on 93 in a 6 I think is going to be a stretch or at least pushing it unless you start killing the timing, which then you are starting to defeat the purpose of running 20 psi.

The money he is going to spend to build this 10.5 second V6 would be much more wisely invested in getting a V8...
Old 07-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I'm trying to get 550 REAR WHEEL hp out of my sixer. And people have squeezed 700rwhp out of theirs before.

But that's why I mentioned the whole "more than you are willing to spend" statement in relation to hp, but that goes for just about anything lol
Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #25
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Those numbers are reachable, however you then have to start taking into account whether you want to be able to stop at a gas station to fill up or if you only want to fill up out of a barrel in your back yard or at the track.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #26
Road Trip!

people making those numbers with v6 are using race gas and most of them own, work, or have access to a dyno and a performance shop.20 psi is about topped out on pump gas..and they make about 500 hp at 20 psi...how is anybody gonna get around detonation and make more power when the potential is limited at that point.

they have 1800 hp cobras too but i dont expect my car to see that just because it is a cobra...and i am partners in a perfomance shop and have many resources at my disposal including a dyno.

kyle will probably be 500hp and running mid 11s when its all said and done and im pretty much giving him as much dyno use as he wants to get it there. keep into mind what is realistic and not. me and kyle have come up with a realistic goal for his car and i am very confident that he will reach it.but we both also know its not gonna be cheap

the truth of the matter is there is no way to make a v6 that is v8 fast on a budget. it takes alot of money and the right combination.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

so basicly my 3.8l V6 mustang is no better than my 2.2l 8v Daytona? What makes it so limited? I know people can easily run up to 30psi on a t4 turbo with these motors and about 10k in the motor/head with minimal issues with high octane. (around 500hp)
Old 07-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I plan to run 18psi with water/meth on pump gas, but only at the track or when I wanna screw around, then I'll swap pullies and drive around at around 8-10psi, on a more conservative tune.

There are always limitations, but in reality, the best thing to do is to set a goal, a practical one, and only buy the mods to support that goal. If you want a 400hp v6 auto-x car, then why waste money puting in a drag race suspension, when it won't help the end goal. It also goes for a tranny as well, if you want a street car, then it would be retarded to put in a C2 that's built strictly for drag racing.

I only want to have my high horsepower on track days, the rest of the time I want just enough to be fun, so I can practically drive it around town picking on z06's and termi's.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
people making those numbers with v6 are using race gas and most of them own, work, or have access to a dyno and a performance shop.20 psi is about topped out on pump gas..and they make about 500 hp at 20 psi...how is anybody gonna get around detonation and make more power when the potential is limited at that point.

they have 1800 hp cobras too but i dont expect my car to see that just because it is a cobra...and i am partners in a perfomance shop and have many resources at my disposal including a dyno.

kyle will probably be 500hp and running mid 11s when its all said and done and im pretty much giving him as much dyno use as he wants to get it there. keep into mind what is realistic and not. me and kyle have come up with a realistic goal for his car and i am very confident that he will reach it.but we both also know its not gonna be cheap

the truth of the matter is there is no way to make a v6 that is v8 fast on a budget. it takes alot of money and the right combination.
Not at all, we have guys running 15psi making 600rwhp on pump gas who DD their cars. Recently had a guy make 426rwhp @ 12psi with just simple mods and a cam. And their is a m112 guy that was making over 600rwhp and lifted a head...[all pump gas]

And this is on stock ported parts, we have no aftermarket heads
Old 07-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #30
Road Trip!

ive heard 500 is hard to reach on those motors,hmm kyle may be suprised with his end result. heads/cams,20psi procharger. on a stroker...
Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #31

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to quikstang2 Send a message via MSN to quikstang2 Send a message via Yahoo to quikstang2 Send a message via Skype™ to quikstang2

8.8 for sure, with an aftermarket differential. All the stock ones I've encountered (in trucks at least) are noisy as hell and eat themselves alive.

Personally, I'd go through the trouble of swapping to a V8 or turbo 2.3L before bothering with the 3.8L.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I've had a few different lsd's in my truck, without any noise. The only thing that should cause noise is impropper installation, i.e. bad backlash, but that would be gear related.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
ive heard 500 is hard to reach on those motors,hmm kyle may be suprised with his end result. heads/cams,20psi procharger. on a stroker...
Is he giong to an 8 rib setup? The 6 rib won't cut it... (what year is this on again?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
8.8 for sure, with an aftermarket differential. All the stock ones I've encountered (in trucks at least) are noisy as hell and eat themselves alive.

Personally, I'd go through the trouble of swapping to a V8 or turbo 2.3L before bothering with the 3.8L.
I wouldn't the 3.8 is pulling GN numbers here. Remember we're still using STOCK ported heads and intakes, we don't have aftermarket blocks, cranks, etc.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Well the more opinions I get the less sure of what hp range I want to be in. If 500hp is hard to reach on these motors then I guess Ill set that as my goal and see how much more I can get from there. I like to be unique, so if it doesnt hold it doesnt hold. Id rather keep it 3.8 before going through all the hassle of swapping wiring ect. Id rather be able to swap the high mileage motor back in if it pops for some reason. Thankfully I have a lot of "hook ups" at local shops through family ties and close friends so some things shouldnt be super difficult, such as dyno tunes ect.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:19 AM   #35
Road Trip!

im guessing we are doing 8 rib...all i know is he wants as much power as he can get with the procharger and a complete built motor..from the looks of it, im underestimating its potential..he has a 99

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang