1998 f150 4.2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
1998 f150 4.2

I want to transplant the engine and rear of the f150 into my mustang. Now, the stock wiring harness can stay in because its basicly the same engine right? And did this year of f150 come with the 8.8 rear??
ProjectTurboV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I re-used most of my old 3.8 parts on mine.
I used the block and the internals. Then I used the heads and intake off the 3.8 singleport.

The f150 probably did come with the 8.8 rearend, but its probably a different spline or whatever its called. there different and won't fit.(I may be wrong)
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
I re-used most of my old 3.8 parts on mine.
I used the block and the internals. Then I used the heads and intake off the 3.8 singleport.

The f150 probably did come with the 8.8 rearend, but its probably a different spline or whatever its called. there different and won't fit.(I may be wrong)
I could probably just put in the trucks trans if that's the case, but I'm pretty sure the 8.8 will fit with our t5s

How do you like the difference in engines??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The extra power is very noticeable.
I'm still using the stock rear end and everything.
Only thing that i've changed is
I straight piped exhaust, air silencer delete.
then i used the f150's cam when I did the 4.2 swap.

and if you have the whole truck you might want to try and swap the whole engine and keep the split port.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
99% sure the truck rear end is too wide...

As for the engine there is a swap thread sticky in this forum section

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
99% sure the truck rear end is too wide...

As for the engine there is a swap thread sticky in this forum section
I made sure I read the sticky first, it said the 3.8 wiring harness will work with the 4.2 because its the same firing order. I just didn't know if because it was a truck engine, that would be different. But the rear end being too wide kinda bums me out :/ guess I'll just pull that engine and get a rear from a grand marques or somethin
Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectTurboV6 View Post

I made sure I read the sticky first, it said the 3.8 wiring harness will work with the 4.2 because its the same firing order. I just didn't know if because it was a truck engine, that would be different. But the rear end being too wide kinda bums me out :/ guess I'll just pull that engine and get a rear from a grand marques or somethin
you can always check while you're there and see, pull off your wheels and measure from axle end to axle end, do the same on truck rear

Also I'm not sure how the truck suspension is set up, whether it's leaf springs or shocks which could mean it wouldn't have the proper brackets to allow you to use it.. Give it a good look over when you're there

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

you can always check while you're there and see, pull off your wheels and measure from axle end to axle end, do the same on truck rear

Also I'm not sure how the truck suspension is set up, whether it's leaf springs or shocks which could mean it wouldn't have the proper brackets to allow you to use it.. Give it a good look over when you're there
Yeah I'll definitely have to be meticulous with it so I'm 100% sure it fits before I buy it. Now since I plan on making over 300rwhp an aluminium driveshaft would be a stupid buy, correct?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I'll definitely have to be meticulous with it so I'm 100% sure it fits before I buy it. Now since I plan on making over 300rwhp an aluminium driveshaft would be a stupid buy, correct?
From what I've heard the ford aluminum ones are hit and miss, you can get a big name one but that'll cost a bit more

blower/new cam soon
Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

From what I've heard the ford aluminum ones are hit and miss, you can get a big name one but that'll cost a bit more
Well I'm doing a junk yard rebuild so I'm not into big name brands except for the suspension mods or the supersix stagelll package I'm investing in. I'm just trying to lighten the ol'girl up a free up a little extra horses.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well I'm doing a junk yard rebuild so I'm not into big name brands except for the suspension mods or the supersix stagelll package I'm investing in. I'm just trying to lighten the ol'girl up a free up a little extra horses.
I've got some links on a junkyard aluminum driveshaft swap from a freestar (or Aerostar, forget which) suppose to be heavy duty and a little lighter, I'll post them up when I get back to a computer

blower/new cam soon
Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I've got some links on a junkyard aluminum driveshaft swap from a freestar (or Aerostar, forget which) suppose to be heavy duty and a little lighter, I'll post them up when I get back to a computer
Thank you! I'd very much appreciate that. My goal is 3200lbs with me in it and 335rwhp w/o a turbo or sc. I wanna try to do this for around $5000.. including suspension and aesthetic mods.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thank you! I'd very much appreciate that. My goal is 3200lbs with me in it and 335rwhp w/o a turbo or sc. I wanna try to do this for around $5000.. including suspension and aesthetic mods.
Weight is doable, mines around 3100 without me right now, assuming you weigh 180, it'll take a lot of gutting of the car or tubular suspension up front to drop down the weight

And that means you'll need nitrous lol the N/A record is 278rwhp.. And you won't reach that for 5K

blower/new cam soon
Old 01-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Weight is doable, mines around 3100 without me right now, assuming you weigh 180, it'll take a lot of gutting of the car or tubular suspension up front to drop down the weight

And that means you'll need nitrous lol the N/A record is 278rwhp.. And you won't reach that for 5K
I'm 210 but I'm taking up boxing classes to get toned back up. I was thinking with the 4.2 swap (210hp), stagelll power pack (65hp), tune (15hp), bigger injectiors/fuel pump/fuel lines, then the exhaust setup I have... I should at least have 280hp to the ground
Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm 210 but I'm taking up boxing classes to get toned back up. I was thinking with the 4.2 swap (210hp), stagelll power pack (65hp), tune (15hp), bigger injectiors/fuel pump/fuel lines, then the exhaust setup I have... I should at least have 280hp to the ground
202hp is fords rating for 4.2 splitport at motor

You can't count a tune like that when considering motor work, his "estimated gains" are considering a car in perfect running conditions with his parts and that means tuned..

Assuming you're staying single port you'll be lucky to get 240rwhp N/A, their heads flow a lot less than splitports making all motor projects not so large on the power scale

Not trying to crush your dreams, just being realistic

blower/new cam soon
Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

202hp is fords rating for 4.2 splitport at motor

You can't count a tune like that when considering motor work, his "estimated gains" are considering a car in perfect running conditions with his parts and that means tuned..

Assuming you're staying single port you'll be lucky to get 240rwhp N/A, their heads flow a lot less than splitports making all motor projects not so large on the power scale

Not trying to crush your dreams, just being realistic
I'm changing to split port to get that +40hp gain.I have nothing wrong with being realistic, that's what I'm on this forum for. Plus I'm completely rebuilding the 4.2 and rear that I put in, then the powerpac (heads, upper/lower intake, and cam) is estimated 65 bolt on hp...
Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
doesn't GTeater on MM still run the highest n/a record David? at least that's the only guy i know of pushing 270+ wrhp without a power adder in a split port. is that who you're talking about?

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm changing to split port to get that +40hp gain.I have nothing wrong with being realistic, that's what I'm on this forum for. Plus I'm completely rebuilding the 4.2 and rear that I put in, then the powerpac (heads, upper/lower intake, and cam) is estimated 65 bolt on hp...
if David is talking about who i think he is you might wanna listen to him on this. your goal just isn't realistic on an N/A build. take it from people that have been working on these cars for years. However i will say you will have a pretty quick 14 second car when you're done

Old 01-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

no yentzer at ssm holds the record at 278 SAE last I heard

also consider this.. i have stage three heads on my car with a comp cam and better intake setup than they have listed, i make 242 sae whp.. drivetrain losses suck but she sure moves!

and no he'll have a 13 second car

blower/new cam soon
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

if David is talking about who i think he is you might wanna listen to him on this. your goal just isn't realistic on an N/A build. take it from people that have been working on these cars for years. However i will say you will have a pretty quick 14 second car when you're done
I mean, I've been working on Ford's for 10 years so I'm not a novice like a lot of the owners on here. I guess I'll just have to beat this guys record to solidify my v6s dominance
Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

good luck lol you'll need a high compression motor big cam and those stage 3 heads with a windstar swap etc etc..

blower/new cam soon
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I mean, I've been working on Ford's for 10 years so I'm not a novice like a lot of the owners on here. I guess I'll just have to beat this guys record to solidify my v6s dominance
i wish you luck

Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

If I can find the right base engine for this project I bet my father and I could make this guy sweat. I'll make sure I send him a dyno video when I reach 280rwhp
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If I can find the right base engine for this project I bet my father and I could make this guy sweat. I'll make sure I send him a dyno video when I reach 280rwhp
he'll be the one hand making (porting) your heads/intakes.. who knows maybe if you tell him your goals he can help you get there, or he could make sure you wouldn't reach it lol can't hurt to ask

but if you reach it please post it up you'll be the new record holder haha btw raise your budget A LOT

blower/new cam soon
Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

he'll be the one hand making (porting) your heads/intakes.. who knows maybe if you tell him your goals he can help you get there, or he could make sure you wouldn't reach it lol can't hurt to ask

but if you reach it please post it up you'll be the new record holder haha btw raise your budget A LOT
Yeahhhhhh I'm pretty sure 10k would be more reasonable if I'm going to beat a record. But yeah you're right, it can't hurt to ask. I'm looking around for sponsors to get endorsements from this build with the shows, photoshoots, ect that I'll be doing. So if that pans out then my goals will be easier to reach.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeahhhhhh I'm pretty sure 10k would be more reasonable if I'm going to beat a record. But yeah you're right, it can't hurt to ask. I'm looking around for sponsors to get endorsements from this build with the shows, photoshoots, ect that I'll be doing. So if that pans out then my goals will be easier to reach.
can i ask a serious question though? why dump so much into this car when it'll end up being a low 14 high 13 sec car when you could buy a GT that does that stock then toss some gears in with a tune and be much quicker?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

can i ask a serious question though? why dump so much into this car when it'll end up being a low 14 high 13 sec car when you could buy a GT that does that stock then toss some gears in with a tune and be much quicker?
Everybody has a v8, nobody really respects the v6 other than select owners. And if our stock internals can hold 300hp+, why not max that baby out and see what she can do? Plus you can swap to forged internals and start messing with better set ups. Yeah, its more value for less bang, but its all about preference.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I guess...if i wanted a 300 hp car id of kept my gt but i wanted a lighter front for autox...im fine with my sixxer staying at 160ish rwhp lol. But you're wrong people respect sixxers...a lot of people do. They just usually also know that its a money pit for power. Which explains why so many v8s are on the road if power is your thing. Like i said i wish you luck...keep us updated.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Is the weight difference enough to go from a gt to a 6 though? Compared 260 hp to 180? What's the weight difference.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Took a drive in a 95 Vert GT Auto, It felt like a tank, I'm not sure if it was just the weight of the car, or the Auto part, But it felt sluggish as a mo-fo.

1998 Mustang V6
CAI, Exhaust, Weight Reduction
16.5 1/4 Mile
Skargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
It's something like a 200+ diff. If I remember correctly there's a video on YouTube of the new stock sixers vs. a v8 and the 8 is only 2 seconds faster but 10k more so you're paying 5k per second talk about sucky money for power :/
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
So you're giving up roughly 3 pounds per hp so I would say probably not but when your goal is motox like slo every pound counts

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Autox*
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Is the weight difference enough to go from a gt to a 6 though? Compared 260 hp to 180? What's the weight difference.
it's only a few hundred pounds but when you get to throwing that into a corner you can feel it (at least i know i did)...i feel so much quicker in corners then i ever did in my GT...granted the GT made it between corners much faster lol. My outlook on mustangs is doesn't matter what it is as long as it does what you love

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang